Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2015, 10:40 AM   #1

Dead engine battery after full charge after 3-4 days

Good Morning,
1999 Thor M/H hooked up to shore and after 3-4 days engine battery is dead...doesn't shore recharge it?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2015, 10:53 AM   #2

Usually not. You need to get a Trikl- Start. Do a search. They are like $50.00

Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:59 AM   #3

Some coaches do and some don't. If yours does, then I would think the batteries are bad, or a connection is corroded, or maybe a relay is bad. How do you know the engine batteries are dead? Did you use a volt meter and check them using a good clean test point, or just the fact they don't start the engine?

Even so, the engine batteries should last much much longer than 3 days unless Thor has tapped into the engine batteries for something that is left on.
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagn View Post
Good Morning,
1999 Thor M/H hooked up to shore and after 3-4 days engine battery is dead...doesn't shore recharge it?
Our newer Thor MH keeps the chasis battery charged when plugged to shore power. But 20 amp may not be enough juice given that other things on the MH also draw power when parked. We have never had a problem plugged to 50 amp.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:52 AM   #5

When I got my coach the echo charger was bad, so i installed the Magnum combiner. Some charge the chassis batteries when plugged into shore power and some don't, a lot of owners install this to keep things charged.
AMP-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer - Overview Page
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:48 PM   #6

Thank you all for quick reply...it is a good battery and I am hooked up to 50 amp source at home...I am going to get battery tende as you all said, there is no ez way to see what is draining it...
Old 12-23-2015, 12:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
Usually not. You need to get a Trikl- Start. Do a search. They are like $50.00
I am going to do that as my battery is good, hooked up to 50 amp at home and as many said this is the way to go...thanks for all of your quick replies
Old 12-23-2015, 02:30 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Thank you all for quick reply...it is a good battery and I am hooked up to 50 amp source at home...I am going to get battery tende as you all said, there is no ez way to see what is draining it...
If it goes dead that quick you have a large draw or battery is shot Have the battery load tested if all is good then you need to find what is drawing it down
Old 12-23-2015, 03:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasser 38 View Post
If it goes dead that quick you have a large draw or battery is shot Have the battery load tested if all is good then you need to find what is drawing it down
Battery is good...how do I determine what is draining it?
Old 12-23-2015, 03:41 PM   #10

How do you know your battery is good?
Old 12-23-2015, 03:59 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
My question exactly. Just because you have lights or the radio plays doesn't mean the battery is good. Load test is the best way to tell for sure. Now if it's a new battery then that's a different problem.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Battery is good...how do I determine what is draining it?

My only experience is with my current motorhome so I don't know how others are wired, but apparently some dash radios are powered from the starting batteries. Could that be the culprit?
To isolate what is causing the drain, try disconnecting the start batts and see what doesn't work. That would get you started by seeing what is powered from the starting batts.
I can't think of anything on mine that is powered from the start batteries except what comes on with the key.
Maybe an engine compartment light.

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 05:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Had it load tested and showed good but needing charge
Old 12-24-2015, 07:04 AM   #14

Interesting discussion, but hard to know for sure as not enough data. 90's models with a dedicated charging circuit to the chassis battery were rare. As has been suggested indirectly, you need some numbers, if you want to solve your puzzle. The simplest solution would be to purchase the device suggested in earlier posts.

When your battery is charged, what is the voltage reading? A "good" battery can test good, but may take a charge to 12.4 or 12.5, but maybe as high as 12.7+ if fairly new. That will impact how long it holds enough charge to start your engine.

Then there is the parasitic draw factor which is what you are asking about directly. That is, what can be drawing down my battery when my RV is parked. Things with memory boards like dash radios will have a small draw, the engine management system may have a small draw, some manufacturers wire the LP leak detector so it is powered off the chassis battery, etc. The cumulative effect of these things is often underestimated, though I agree 3-4 days till dead is not typical.

You also don't know how much current your starter requires, whether the connections and the ones on your battery are clean and tight, and so forth. Your coach has some age on it and those things are easy to overlook.

Now if you want to determine which circuits are drawing down your battery, you have to know how to read amp draw off your battery. If you know how to do that, hook up your meter and see how many amps are leaving your battery for parts unknown, engine off of course. Then remove one fuse at a time from the distribution panels where you chassis (not house) fuses are located. When you pull a fuse that powers a circuit robbing your battery, your meter will show a lower reading or maybe even go to zero. That tells you who the culprit is. You also need to disconnect the lead off the alternator to the battery as that can also rob your battery.

Also make sure the emergency start switch on your dash is working so this problem doesn't leave you high and dry while camped.

Good hunting,

Steve

Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, engine