Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2015, 11:30 AM   #15

Ignition module or fuel pump.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2015, 11:30 AM   #16

Workhorse or Ford? 1999 chassis?

Has it been raining lately?

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:37 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Agree with Richard. Check the fuel filter.....when was it last changed ?
Chuck and Robbin Harrison....plus 2 PB and a G Pyrenees Max,Zenie and Smokie ! 1998 38' Monaco Dynasty Duke with a 8.3 Cummins. Everyday truck is a 2010 F150 XLT 4x4 and 2016 Ford Escape. TOAD is 2004 VW Bug Conv.
Migkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 12:13 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Duplicate post. Here is the other one with a little more info:

http://http://www.irv2.com/forums/f1...wy-245392.html
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 01:24 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Check that the drain on the bottom of the fuel water separator is tight. If it is loose it will suck air and cause the motor to die.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:31 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Change the fuel filter/s........sounds like it is running out of fuel.
(When were they changed last?)
Old 05-09-2015, 01:57 PM   #21

Sure it's gas? NADA only shows diesel Diplomats...

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 02:25 PM   #22

Good luck.
Old 05-09-2015, 03:49 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have been in your shoes, We through a rod and trashed the engine. Search for my thread it has some good information if you need an engine swap out. Hope that doesn't happen to anyone.

Alan & Terry
Old 05-10-2015, 06:12 AM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My daughter was on her way to school one day (Wayne State University) when suddenly all the warning lights flashed and the car died.. now I know this is a car, not a motor home,but a gas engine, more or less, is a gas engine.

She called me, I called AAA and the local GM store. Responded and strung triangles,,got a complement from the Tow driver on that (Hey, I read the book... What Every Commercial Driver Must Know, The chapter on Triangles and Flares)

Tow driver took car to dealer.. I took Darling Daughter to College.

They replaced the wiring harness She had bad grounds... (Thankfully I had insurance on that kind of thing).

Oh, side note: Carry triangles (I have 'em in my towed) and the book I mentioned above.. IT was free from DMV.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:47 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Could be alternator problem. Start you generator. This will supply voltage to your batteries and may run your ignition system.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:43 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I assume that you have a diesel not gas, so the only reason diesels will not run is lack of fuel. If it cranks over and will not start it is a fuel problem not anything to do with the alternator, if your mechanic is indicating alternator, better get another mechanic! Most times it is the engine fuel system sucking air,once air gets into the injection system it is hard to purge it out. Check one fuel filter at a time, and then cycle the ignition key from off to on 10-20 times (do not start) check fuel supply at the injection pump, then try and start.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:16 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by md99 View Post
sorry this is the wife, sitting in a&w while my hubby is with the mobile mechanic, It is a 1999 Monacco diplomat, gas.
Wife,
This is not to chastise you. It's only meant to be informative. Whenever you ask for assistance on here, or, any other RV forum that you may decide to belong to, it's good to post a well-rounded description of your coach, either along with your question or, as a signature below your question that will appear each and every time you post a question, without your doing it manually. As has been stated, if folks know what kind of coach, type and size of engine, transmission etc., they'll be better equipped to try and accurately help you. Many may have the same kind of coach may have experienced your same possible issue and, could quite possibly have the correct remedy for your given situation. But, if they don't see or read the specs on your coach, they don't know how to accurately answer and, all they can do is guess.

Now, as far as your coach is concerned, as has been asked, are you sure it's a gas unit? I'm not an expert on Monacos but, all I've ever seen or heard of in that Brand and model is a diesel unit. But, you should know so, if you say it's gas, then it must be gas.

If so, can say if any attempts to isolate whether it's fuel or ignition problems? That is, has anyone (your husband or, a roadside mechanic) done a spark check to see if it's ignition related? Or, if it's a fuel injected gas unit, has anyone attempted to spray any starter fluid in the intake side to just see if it will light-off using that method. If it does, then you've got a fuel problem. So, again, just trying to be helpful here with at least some info.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 04:16 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Now, as far as your coach is concerned, as has been asked, are you sure it's a gas unit? I'm not an expert on Monacos but, all I've ever seen or heard of in that Brand and model is a diesel unit. But, you should know so, if you say it's gas, then it must be gas.
Gasoline in a diesel fuel tank would most likely put you on the shoulder of the road...depending on the concentration...sooner or later. At least it's not as bad as an airport re-fueling service putting jet fuel in a twin engine piston aircraft. That never ends well. Hopefully the OP will let us know what happened to their DP.