Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2014, 09:24 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Get the engine ser#'s and call the Cat help line and they can give you any records
on the engine that one of their shops did.
Seldom does one get the service records on a used unit.
If you can get a oil analysis on each engine that will provide a wealth of information
on the engines.

wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2014, 10:11 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb7auk View Post
Get the engine ser#'s and call the Cat help line and they can give you any records on the engine that one of their shops did.
X2!
Call the "Cat RV Hotline", (877 777-3126), if you have ANY Caterpillar engine questions..... (with the engine serial number for info about a particular Caterpillar engine).
Mel
'96 Safari, 250hp 3126 Cat, 135k miles

Old 10-04-2014, 10:13 AM   #17

Forums such as this one are a place where people with a issue with a product come to complain. The ones that are the vast majority don't bother posting how well those products have worked for them for years. That gives a false impression on the frequency of problems. Engine choice should really be down the list of importance deciding on what coach to buy. The first thing on the list should be "The floor plan DW likes" (-:

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:27 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
Forums such as this one are a place where people with a issue with a product come to complain. The ones that are the vast majority don't bother posting how well those products have worked for them for years. That gives a false impression on the frequency of problems. Engine choice should really be down the list of importance deciding on what coach to buy. The first thing on the list should be "The floor plan DW likes" (-:

Jim
Nothing personal taken by this comment, but the OP was a Question, not a Complaint statement. The question referenced a prior thread that ran six pages; most of which was directly related to the C7 engine and premature problems.

I MADE A MISTAKE HERE. The thread title left out, "C7". so it appeared to ask about all CAT engines; especially to those that began formulating their response before reading the first post....OR reviewing the link to the thread I referenced. Mea Culpa

The only thing I wanted was an update on the 3-year old thread...and thinking about it, nothing would have changed for the better if CAT discontinued making them 5 years ago.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post

Jim

The OP asked a question because I was very interested in two MHs, both having the C7 engine. Not knowing whether or not that was a good thing or not, I googled and found the iRV2 thread that I referenced. I wanted to know whether or not a C7 had good, bad, or ugly reviews since that last thread.
What I got was comments defending Cat, and nothing about the C7s...even you.

Best to let sleeping dogs lie. I passed on both units I was looking at in favor of finding something with a Cummins. People that defend a brand instead of commenting on a particular variant of the brand don't help decisions. I'm still at a loss to get an understanding about that engine.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:16 PM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wouldn't be a deal breaker for me IF the engines are comparable. A 350 HP C-7 is not comparable to an ISC 350 due to the higher torque of the Cummins.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:23 PM   #21

I have a 350 hp version of the C-7 in a 2006 DP (EPA 2004 version C-7). It has been trouble free, runs cool, starts easy. From the factory it was a 300 hp but I had it reprogrammed to produce 350hp at the local CAT service center. When I bought the RV the Cat engine was a plus to me as the Cummins alternate in a short DP was the old 5.9 now 6.7. To get the horsepower out of that engine it has to operate at higher rpms since all versions of it have lower torque than the C-7.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:47 PM   #22

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
I passed on both units I was looking at in favor of finding something with a Cummins.
And your uneasiness about this engine is based on comments such as this that lack any facts and are barely above the level of libel:

CAT & Freightliner are known to use any excuse not to honor the C7 warranty since they stopped making highway rated motors 3 years ago(2007). The engines produced from 03' to 06' were known to have many issues as CAT changed manufacturers that produced many engine parts.

I can't imagine anyone making a buying decision about an engine on the basis of a quote such as this from an unknown person on an RV discussion forum. Most of these engines were sold as truck engines and there would be far more information available on truck forums and similar sources. But even on those forums, why would you believe comments that contain nothing but someone's judgemental opinion and not one shred of fact?

You rag on people for defending CAT rather than offering advice on the C-7, but you haven't produced anything to defend against. Baseless comments that CAT and Freightliner don't stand behind their warranties? Vague references about engines "known to have problems"?

Both CAT and Cummins make good products. At various times some models have had more problems than others. However, both companies make thousands and thousands of engines every year and the number of problem ones you hear about on forums such as these are from the people who happen to have problems and these form only a tiny fraction of the total produced.

If you look for the perfect MH you will soon discover it doesn't exist and you will buy nothing.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:40 AM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
And your uneasiness about this engine is based on comments such as this that lack any facts and are barely above the level of libel:

CAT & Freightliner are known to use any excuse not to honor the C7 warranty since they stopped making highway rated motors 3 years ago(2007). The engines produced from 03' to 06' were known to have many issues as CAT changed manufacturers that produced many engine parts.

I can't imagine anyone making a buying decision about an engine on the basis of a quote such as this from an unknown person on an RV discussion forum. Most of these engines were sold as truck engines and there would be far more information available on truck forums and similar sources. But even on those forums, why would you believe comments that contain nothing but someone's judgemental opinion and not one shred of fact?

You rag on people for defending CAT rather than offering advice on the C-7, but you haven't produced anything to defend against. Baseless comments that CAT and Freightliner don't stand behind their warranties? Vague references about engines "known to have problems"?

Both CAT and Cummins make good products. At various times some models have had more problems than others. However, both companies make thousands and thousands of engines every year and the number of problem ones you hear about on forums such as these are from the people who happen to have problems and these form only a tiny fraction of the total produced.

If you look for the perfect MH you will soon discover it doesn't exist and you will buy nothing.

well said
Old 10-05-2014, 07:38 AM   #24

My part in this thread will never become argumentative, because I have no frame of reference. Those that have responded that have just one or two CAT engines (that are running just fine) certainly speak for the majority of CAT engines, but can't speak for those that suffered, or for the C7 engine history.
I imagine that CAT isn't talking if a class action is in place, or being contemplated.

Quote:
It is a man made machine that is designed to fail, it is a matter of when.
Failing at 20,000 or 30,000 miles isn't anybody's idea of an engine that's reliable if more than a few owners experience it.

The 3126B, 3126E, and C7 for the most part are the same engine with few
changes other than to meet EPA requirements
What is the difference between a 3126 and a C7 engine?
The C7 engine has a different valve cover, cylinder head, fuel injectors, a side
mounted breather, and software to meet current emissions.

which is why Cat gave up and pulled highway use of their engines.
...because the new variants were problematic?

The fan hub bearing failure was related to lack of service in the early engines and bad bearings in the later sealed bearings put in some of the E and C7 engines.
...that's bad news, either version

The Heiu pump failures were traced to poor support of the pump shaft and not being strong enough to avoid bending, since cured.
...seems that those that had failures were not supported by CAT, and some had multiple failures, which leads on to believe that a retrofit can't be done?

Not all failures were caused by poor parts as some of them would fall into poor service.
a good argument, but it sidesteps the guy that had 25,000 miles on his rig and the engine puked, despite proper services

What you seldom see is where the owner takes any blame for anything they did or did not do.
...you said yourself that the C7 was a new design, had design problems, and the other thread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f124/cate...-105467-3.html was related to the problems people had had with both the engines and with CAT factory support
Old 10-05-2014, 07:46 AM   #25

Rick, I can't help but feel you will be more happy with a 400 hp motor anyway.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:01 AM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
My part in this thread will never become argumentative, because I have no frame of reference. Those that have responded that have just one or two CAT engines (that are running just fine) certainly speak for the majority of CAT engines, but can't speak for those that suffered, or for the C7 engine history.
I imagine that CAT isn't talking if a class action is in place, or being contemplated.
I did not say anything about the 3126 engine which if you look again I
said the 3126B, 3126E, and C7. There is a big difference between the
3126 and the other engines which was before the 3126B engine.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:03 AM   #27

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rick and Sandy, I will agree with Art, It's all about maintenece, Diesels cost more bucks to maintain, I change my oil 3k to 5k miles and only use ultra high efficiant filters, The Cat is more sensitive to coolant, I am right now changing from Alliance to Cat elc. I run with a friend who has a Cummings about 3 years newer, and he does no maintence, and it seems like every trip were on the side of the road changing filters, so just my opinion, Rmember, the guy with a bad experiance is going to complain the loudest. Good luck
Old 10-05-2014, 10:11 AM   #28

Quote:
I did not say anything about the 3126 engine which if you look again I
said the 3126B, 3126E, and C7. There is a big difference between the
3126 and the other engines which was before the 3126B engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
Rick, I can't help but feel you will be more happy with a 400 hp motor anyway.
My 250hp 3126 Cat, (the predecessor/earlier version of the Caterpillar 3126B, 3126E, and the C7), has served me well for 135k miles in my 25,000 lb coach, (even while towing 3,000 lbs. for 105k of those 135k miles).
Mel
'96 Safari, 35'

Tags
cat, cat diesel, diesel