Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2016, 05:01 PM   #29

Isn't paying the dealer to do the PDI kinda like paying a fox to check out the chickens? I would do my own PDI or hire an independent to do it. In either case I would have the dealer agree in writing to perform all repairs to your satisfaction PRIOR to the close.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2016, 04:47 PM   #30

Run, don't walk, to another dealer.

You are currently dealing with unethical thieves.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:00 AM   #31

That is just another way to take your money...A very expensive "fox" charge to check chicken count.

First locate independent known by certification inspector yourself and get a quote for them to do the same.

Next get a written "psi procedure sheet" from the dealer that shows exactly what that buys.

It may include a service with all new fluids or it may be just kicking tires.

Paying any dealer to inspect their own stuff is not good.

Real estate uses inspectors for this reason.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:35 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the replies...

I will have an inspection done, if we proceed, and thanks for the referral to Infinity Coach. I will talk to them, if we move on this.

I will not pay them to do a PDI. I knew someone that did, at another dealer, to the tune of over $2000, and everything they said they fixed needed to be repaired later.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:40 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Here is an example of how they handled a leaky water line system. The first photo is their work.... The second is the new owners work... Who would you hire?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160622_105424.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	376.8 KB
ID:	133431   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160710_170723.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	392.1 KB
ID:	133432  

Old 07-18-2016, 10:43 AM   #34

National RV Owners Club
Inspection Fees

We ended up buying our used coach from a dealer we swore we would never buy from when our search began...CAMPING WORLD. We negotiated a good deal and feel we selected a good quality coach. The did have a PDI fee included of either $99 or $199 I can't remember. They said it was required safety for the LP system and tires/brakes. They have a higher fee that supposedly guarentees that all systems are functioning properly when you take delivery but it was only $995 (now $1300). We paid the required safety inspection and hired our own independant inspector. We paid $200 for our independant inspection and used some ef his finds to negotiate the final price and a couple of repairs. I wouldn't have normally considered buying from CW but I think we stole ours from them. This was not on the salesman's inventory list when he spotted us looking at it and was tucked back in a back corner. We were going to but from Mt. Comfort RV but had some bad dealing with them so it's not only the big guys that try to screw ya. Good luck!
Old 07-18-2016, 01:42 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJOL View Post
Here is an example of how they handled a leaky water line system. The first photo is their work.... The second is the new owners work... Who would you hire?
That is hilarious. Sad, but hilarious.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:00 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatterbrain View Post
That is hilarious. Sad, but hilarious.
Ain't that the truth!
Old 07-19-2016, 07:35 AM   #37

That plumbing job is what happens when you have general workers who are not paid real well doing work.

What was the charges for said work?
Old 07-19-2016, 08:14 AM   #38

Solo Rvers Club
just so I know what I'm looking for when I get ready to buy mine....
what does PDI stand for?
Old 07-19-2016, 08:40 AM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
PDI stands for "Pre-Delivery Inspection." He paid over $2000 for it, but it was contingent on checking and repairing several items such as roof inspection and reseal, if necessary, fix leaking hydraulic jack, checking and fixing plumbing issues, and other things that they guaranteed. I think he was overcharged for this, and just about every item they "said" they worked on was done in a very shoddy manner, or not fixed at all. He even found electrical wires tied up, under the coach, with "jute" string. He is in the process of recording the problems and going back to the dealer, but, as everyone knows... once you're out the door, it can be timely and costly to get some dealers to own up and correct their work...
Old 07-19-2016, 04:42 PM   #40

Before going back to dealer check with state consumer affairs department as many states have many rules and laws to protect the consumer.

Do tale lots of clear photos at multiple angles of everything in not good order.

Make a detailed list of everything found then send via email (with yourself copied to show that it was sent) to the service manager of dealer along with others in chain of command.

Subject of email should be "warranty service notice for vin (insert vin here)"

Include in email full descriptions of all issues as well as purchase dates and delivery dates and also request warranty clock stop on the unit until fully repaired.

Request they copy you on all email as you have provided your address in the chain.

This is your protection.

Tags
dealer