Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2014, 06:58 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Dealer Cost

In one of these posts there was shared a % factor that you can use to calculate what the new RV dealers cost is on a unit by multiplying it X the MSRP and for the life of me I cannot find it again. Anyone?
jameshawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2014, 07:09 AM   #2

The dealer cost will be different for different brands. For example, Entegra has a higher dealer margin than Newmar and, I believe Tiffin.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:29 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
And it's not necessarily the same markup on different models from the same manufacturer. And higher volume dealers might get better pricing then low volume dealers.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
And it's not necessarily the same markup on different models from the same manufacturer. And higher volume dealers might get better pricing then low volume dealers.

You are correct
isellem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:22 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
When I was a coach tech at Beaudry RV here in Tucson, I saw an invoice for an American Eagle (around 99-2000 model, I think). The window sticker was $275,000, and the invoice was $182,000, or at least that's close. That is on hellofa mark up. I'm sure that's not the same % mark up on all coaches, but WOW!! That was enough to make me know then, that I'll never buy a new coach.

On a side note, I saw a bunch of luxury coaches go off the lot, only to return in about 2-3 months because they couldn't afford it. Then the price of the few month old coach is $200,000 instead of the 275 sticker.

Those guys were serious sharks, obvious by these kinds of actions......and you wonder why they're out of business now?
BigBlockTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlockTank View Post
When I was a coach tech at Beaudry RV here in Tucson, I saw an invoice for an American Eagle (around 99-2000 model, I think). The window sticker was $275,000, and the invoice was $182,000, or at least that's close. That is on hellofa mark up. I'm sure that's not the same % mark up on all coaches, but WOW!! That was enough to make me know then, that I'll never buy a new coach.

On a side note, I saw a bunch of luxury coaches go off the lot, only to return in about 2-3 months because they couldn't afford it. Then the price of the few month old coach is $200,000 instead of the 275 sticker.

Those guys were serious sharks, obvious by these kinds of actions......and you wonder why they're out of business now?
Actually it sounds pretty typical to me. It is "common knowledge" that the MSRP provides a dealer with around 35-40% "markup" over their actual cost, depending on model and options.

How else do you think dealers can sell at 25-30% off MSRP, and stay in business? Granted, that 10-15% of MSRP they keep for salesman commission, operating costs, and profit can easily be more than $10,000.00 per coach, but that is why high-volume dealership are so successful.

I never did understand how Beaudry wasn't profitable, but I thought their "landlord" was a big reason for the Bankruptcy.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:21 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
A few years ago I was able to compare invoice & list on Winnebago Adventurers and Journeys. You got the invoice by multiplying the list by 71.34%.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:34 PM   #8

I think what you are refering to is to divide the msrp by 1.4 and you are in the ballark for what it cost the dealer. That is not including any rebates or manufacturer incentives the dealer may get that you don't know about. The same pretty much works for the markup on used MH's too( my brother in law has a new trailer and used MH store).

For example if the msrp was 170,000 then you divide by 1.4, that equals $121,428 that is what the dealer's cost is. Again this is pretty much ballpark, but is somewhat accurate depending on the manufacturer markup. Ours was pretty close as our dealer had no problem showing us his invoice ect, now he may have had some incentives from Newmar, but we still got ours for several thousand below the closest competitor so we were happy.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 01:09 PM   #9

I've been trolling around on a new (2015) Winnie Journey and seeing a discount of about 25% before any horse-trading starts. That kind of surprised me, as I thought the market had rebounded some.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:23 PM   #10

We got about 27% discount on ours which left the Dealer with about a $4000 profit(according to his invoice) plus any incentives he got from Newmar. Using my calculations in my previous post it was only about $400 off, so that is a pretty close estimate. The percent off msrp will vary due to manufacturer markup, but then some manufacturers don't give rebates or incentives to the dealer so it all pretty much washes out the same in the end. You have to really shop the price, we saved about $6000 from the nearest competitors "bottom line" price, and felt we were getting a fair deal based on the dealer showing us his invoice and what other dealers were trying to get us to pay for the unit equiped pretty much with the same(or less) equipment.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:11 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
This is a little dated but in 1997 I attended an auction of a local RV dealer who was liquidating stock. He had popups, travel trailers, 5th Wheel, Class C's & Class A RV's at the auction. Just by chance me and my wife had been looking at buying a Class C. A 31' Georgie Boy Maverick came up for auction and after the auctioneer begged/pleaded to get a higher bid I bid $36K and got the Class C. After I got done signing the paperwork and was inspecting my new purchase the owner of the RV dealership came up to me and said that I got a good deal, basically dealer invoice, he showed me the paperwork. The MSRP for the Class C was +$56K. The markup was ~35%.

BTW, my wife was out of town & when I called her to tell her of my acquisition she was screaming with happiness on the other end of the phone, she was at a dog show with all of her friends.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer