Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2007, 04:52 AM   #1

I just delivered my Itasca to the dealer 75 miles away yesterday, as requested, per appointment set up two weeks ago. Having basement A/C service done.
I get with the Service Mgr, and after a few moments, he tells me it will be two weeks before it will be ready to pick up. I ask him why am I standing here in his shop two weeks before he is going to work on it? He gives me the old techs on vacation and guys off sick excuse. This is the worst part of owning an RV. Every dealer in the area of 100 miles, essentially does the same thing. Thank God I can do most things myself. Just need to get rant out of my system.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2007, 04:52 AM   #2

I just delivered my Itasca to the dealer 75 miles away yesterday, as requested, per appointment set up two weeks ago. Having basement A/C service done.
I get with the Service Mgr, and after a few moments, he tells me it will be two weeks before it will be ready to pick up. I ask him why am I standing here in his shop two weeks before he is going to work on it? He gives me the old techs on vacation and guys off sick excuse. This is the worst part of owning an RV. Every dealer in the area of 100 miles, essentially does the same thing. Thank God I can do most things myself. Just need to get rant out of my system.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:28 AM   #3

Homer, I feel your pain and have felt it in my own case. RV shops must be the poorest managed of any that I can think of at the moment. I make an "appointment" that is precise right down to the time of day and then the MH sits for days. For small tasks the rule of the thumb here is to let it sit for a few days and get it out at the end of the week. I have seen that work many times. It seems that you are making an appointment to get the work done sometime in a week instead of a day. When you have a problem that they can't readily cope with the delay can be several weeks. The coup de grace is when they call you and tell you it is "ready" and you drive to the dealer only to find that it is not ready or only partially ready. It happened to me one time and I lost my cool and said something semi nasty to the the service manager. She was incensed and asked for an apology which I gave her. Then I got a lecture about how they were doing me a favor to do warranty work for me which is partly true. Did they have any apology for me about getting me to drive there for nothing? Nooooooooo! I have not taken my MH back for maintenance there after the warranty and would like to think it hurts them, but there are so few dealers and so many MHs and trailers that they have it made. If anyone is looking for a business opportunity being an RV dealer is a good one, but you need to be willing the sc*** people and not care. BTW my new tactic when I do take my MH in for service is to make an appointment and then call just before I go in to see if they have someone ready to work on it at least the same day. I know people who are demanding and they get waited on. Don't be a nice guy!!
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:34 AM   #4

I basically work the same as Jim does. I never take the motorhome in without giving them a firm date that I expect it back - and I don't accept excuses. I'm paying them very good money to work on my coach which is used for my convenience. I too have lost my cook with the service manager, and I didn't appologize. But they do know that I don't loose my cool unless they have really screwed up. I expect it to be back in service on a given date and they know that when I take the coach in.

Robb & Sue Steinheider
03 Ultimate Advantage
02 Saturn L100 Toad
robbstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:48 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
It seems that some dealers want to keep a good supply of RVs in the repair line to keep their techs busy.

Sort of like the wait at the doctor's office but on an exaggerated time scale.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:44 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
NOT ALL
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:31 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Homer:
Thank God I can do most things myself. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you can do most repairs yourself there is a good possibility you can also do the basement AC. Download the service manual from the rvcomfort.com website. You can diagnose your problem. After finding your problem if you aren't capable of doing the repair on the basement AC you can have a house AC company come out and you can explain what has to be done and they can do it. First download the manual.

http://rvcomfort.com/rvp/products/offroof/offroof.php

BTW, I've had all my warranty service done while actually using the coach. When you call a dealer and take your coach in at the appointed time they have to take care of you because you need the coach to live in. They'll pull techs off other jobs to get you done by 5PM. If they have to order parts tell them to have them shipped overnight. If you leave your coach and go home, you'll be parked out back and put on the "we'll get to it, when we get to it" list.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:52 AM   #8

Tom N. Interesting point of view you have, same as my own. I did get the schematics from RV Comfort. I am limited in the electronics field, but think I have isolated the problem to a start capacitor on #2. I wrote this all out for the service manager, in hopes of short cutting the process. I might as well left it laying on the bar at home. He didn't show the first interest in it. Maybe I should have at least tried,fixing it myself, but as I said, I am limited in the electronics field and did not want to fry a circuit board. It is now three days and not a word from the service manager as to whether they have even looked at my a/c.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:19 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
I suspect you will find that most service centers are also 'electrically challenged', because for the most part they follow a set pattern. I also suspect you always get charged a minimum time for 'diagnostic' check even if they are incompetent. I for one only go to a non-RV service center for my engine needs, and the rest I do myself. My goal is always have a work around if something doesn't go as planned at least until I get home. I've had some experience with service shops on my SUV's, but that is another story.
Often a little personal PM(preventive maint) goes a long way..

Callsign: KD8W
hamdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 04:45 AM   #10

I called the Dealer Service Mgr last evening to see what the diagnosis was. He couldn't remember my coach being on his lot. It has been there a week already. Then came more excuses, I am beginning to think I have made a mistake. He is a very large impressive looking dealer ship, combination cars, boats and RV's, but may be all show and no go. By next Wednesday either some action or I am taking it home. Another disappointing episode with a Winnebago dealer.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:29 PM   #11

No dealer quagmire when you have work done at Parkview RV Center in Smyrna, Delaware. At least I have not experienced any in the last 20yrs of using their service department. I have not bought a rig from them but have used the service dept for all 5 motorhomes that I have owned. They start working on it the day you leave it. They have very little storage space for rigs sitting around waiting to be fixed so they want your rig fixed and outa there!
And the work is done right the first time!

And no I have no monetary interest in the business.

Chip
06 SurfSide
model 29A
Ford chassis
2 slides
Old 07-15-2007, 06:40 AM   #12
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Hey! It's always good to hear from another Delaware RVer.

I lived in Delaware all my life, and never heard anything bad about Parkview.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:59 AM   #13

"I don't accept excuses"

Neither do I. By treating my RV repair shop folks with polite courtesy and humor, they have always been ready and willing to help me out. Never had to listen to excuses.

Guess it's true that people will usually meet your expectations, good or bad, if you give them an example.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:58 PM   #14

Quagmire resolved: Called Service Supervisor, politely asked why I was shuffled out two weeks further than the date I was told to report for service. He told me he would move me up right away and did. A/C fixed in 24 hours, every one now happy again. It was a faulty thermostat diagnostics and repair $300.00. Works like a champ again, both compressors humming away. I can heartily recommend "Arborgast RV Depot". Just talk to the man in charge of service, Steve Wright.