Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2016, 04:59 PM   #1

Dealer Trades

Do RV dealers ever do dealer trades amongst each other as auto dealers do?
ie If I find a RV that I would like to buy at a dealer that I do not care for or have a dealer who I prefer with same brands, can my preferred dealer trade product on his lot for the one that I want?
Guernsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2016, 05:09 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You might find one that was willing to do that with a new rig of the same brand but usually not. It's not like car dealers in that respect.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:32 PM   #3

It can depend on how long the rig you want has been sitting. A Dealer might be willing to work something out, but will first try very hard to get the deal themselves. With Auto Dealers, there is a whole back channel on car swapping between them.
Elwood58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
Do RV dealers ever do dealer trades amongst each other as auto dealers do?
ie If I find a RV that I would like to buy at a dealer that I do not care for or have a dealer who I prefer with same brands, can my preferred dealer trade product on his lot for the one that I want?
There is no incentive for RV dealers to do dealer trades. Additional cost is generated for transferring the units between dealers.

Never hurts to ask, but expect that you will incur the costs of the dealer trade.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:21 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
It is very doubtful. I do know that a lot of Dealerships that sell mostly Newer RV's will sell their Older trade in Motor Homes and TT's that are beat up or have more than 50000 Miles (if gas) on them. I know of a rv Dealer that goes all over the country (mostly to Arizona) and buys up the units other dealers don't want. I have a friend who is a dealer who will take me to the RV auction and get me any unit I want to bid on for around a markup of 10 percent.
Mel
Old 05-09-2016, 09:48 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On new rv's it is possible. My store just did one yesterday. It would have to be a brand you both carry and you would be most successful if the two dealers had a significant enough distance between them that the trading dealer wasnt worried about losing a sale. Also depends on the relationship if any the two dealers have with one another. As a dealer, I would never do it on a used unit as I dont know what Im getting myself into.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:18 AM   #7
WDW

Mojo

I admire a dealer / RV dealer salesperson who is also an end product user. My experience is that most folks in the business have little or no end user experience (not to get off the topic).

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH
2015 Jeep Roadmaster AT. tow bar with RVI2 supplemental.

Taking in the sight wherever our Trolley takes us...
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:52 AM   #8

Thanks to all for your replies. My thoughts were dealer trades of new for new.
The lack of concentration in the RV industry is more complicated than autos and would involve, if nothing else, greater cost to move one unit perhaps several hundred miles and return with traded unit. I do, however, still think that there can and is significant differences in ethics, professionalism, and business acumen amongst RV dealers....
Guernsey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer