Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-20-2014, 08:59 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Entegra Owners Club
Dealers who buy class a's at auction then resell

We're still in the looking to buy mode. In august we completed a two week rental of a 30' class c which confirmed our desire to try mostly timing in a diesel pusher to cross this great land of ours, touring. We've visited several Camping World stores across the country and recently visited a small dealer who clearly stated he purchased at auctions and resold them. 40 yrs ago I helped a used car dealer drive cars he bought at auction back home. I remember that the cars at auction were often cars that dealers took as trade ins but didn't want to resell...high mileage or some other issue. So my question is does that same logic go for Diesel Pushers bought at auction? We're looking at used DP's no older than 10 yrs. curious to know if buying used from a dealer like this is a bad idea.

Rick, Kathleen and Lenny and Lola (Yorkies)
2016 Entegra Cornerstone 45B 2013 Honda CR-V
Blue Ox/Air Force 1. FMCA
2008 Tiffin Allegro Bus 42QRP (traded in)
Whimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2014, 09:15 AM   #2

If buying from a dealer and you get a good coach, it is a great deal! Sometimes dealers will buy at auction, repos and they can be in very nice shape.
What ever you decide have the coach inspected and then you'll have a good idea what you are getting into and what you can expect.

Best luck luck. Keep us posted.

Happy Trails!!

Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:35 AM   #3
We were at a rv show and people said they were going back to Floridarvs. I asked the people because I had never heard of them. They said they go to auctions and also buy from people that just want to get rid of their RVS. We went and looked and found many RVS that were in great shape. We found one and after doing some research made an offer. We ended up paying many thousands under what nada said was low price.
2008 Thor, Four Winds Mandalay 40G. Cummins 400 isl. Freightliner chassis
koda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:02 AM   #4

It's a very common practice. When were were looking in the Phoenix area most if not all "dealers" had some units purchased from auctions. One told us he went to several auctions all over the country to purchase units. Another operated a rental car business but bought about one MH a month from auctions for resale. His markup we discovered was about $40K on a $180 unit. The issue we found with auction units is lack of history. No record, no nothing. One big problem for us is that the units we were interested in had Aqua Hot. Several were out for repair due to freeze damage. They had been purchased from an east coast auction. You absolutely need to have it checked out by a qualified tech.
Dan & Arlene
2005 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV
Chasing the good weather
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:18 PM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
We bought a REPO from a transport company in Florida, they would transport all the banks repo's to the auctions and the Bank would sell them to the company prior to auction.

The unit we purchased had ZERO maintenance records but when I inspected I could tell that the coach was well maintained. I could not find any major issues or potential problems. The prior owner must have been mechanically inclined because he added a number of upgrades like a hidden generator slide switch which allows me to slide it in and out without going into the coach or opening the FRB electric compartment.

After taking ownership I immediately took it to a Cummins service center and had a complete inspection and maintenance regime done on. They also ran diagnostic on the engine and history check, the service manager gave the coach a thumbs up & called it Cherry.

If you are considering buying a repo'd coach you can take the SN of coach and engine to see if there are any outstanding recalls, and get the history of the engine. The engine manufacturer should be able to give you confirmation of the engine miles as this is different then chassis. You can insist it passing a 3rd party inspection contingent on the sale.

Don't be afraid to crawl over the rig and look at it closely for any water leaks, leaky pipes etc. Look at the drive train to see if it's been lubricated, mine has +25 zerk fittings. If it has an Allison transmission after giving it a test drive you can run diagnostics on it via the key pad, same with some of the engines but you will have to do research on how to do these.

Check the date codes on the tires you will know whether you will have to replace, this may or may not give you negotiating power on a repo but you can at least plan on the cost.

If after doing the above you are still comfortable with the coach and it is a good deal I'd buy it.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:39 PM   #6
Originally Posted by Whimsy View Post
So my question is does that same logic go for Diesel Pushers bought at auction? We're looking at used DP's no older than 10 yrs. curious to know if buying used from a dealer like this is a bad idea.
If the "dealer" is bringing nothing to the sale, then it is no different than an individual buying a foreclosed house at auction and then flipping for a quick profit...without fixing a thing. Have you thought of finding a broker...somebody who brings a private buyer and private seller together?
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:05 PM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
My cousin is a car dealer for a major name brand. He allows me to go to the dealer only auctions and purchase our cars and motor homes. I have purchased 3 motor homes at the auction. All three of the motor homes were repos and the bank was selling them at auction. There have been a ton of MHs sold at auction since the 2008 financial crisis. When we purchase our first one in April 2009 there were almost 500 MH, TT and 5ers at the auction. Now days there are normally 100-150 at auction every 2 weeks in the DFW area.

You will find the major dealers at auction. I have watch the big boys in the DFW area purchase at every auction I have been to. Some will tell you they purchased at auction, some won't. However don't let that bother you as there are a lot of great RVs that folks just can't pay for that are at auction!
Ronnie (WD5GIC) & Jan (WD5IHU)
2003 Monaco Dynasty Countess 42' w/tag, 2012 Ford Flex

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:19 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
In a former life, or at least is seems that way, I worked for a car dealer. We'd take cars to the auction for a number of reasons including to sell a brand or type of vehicle that did not fit well into our business plan or were not a good fit for our community demographic, or because we had too many of one thing or another. High mileage vehicles, that were otherwise ok, ended up on our "economy" lot. We'd also buy vehicles at auction for basically the same reasons. We had a demand for certain vehicles and didn't get enough of them on trade.

Just the fact that the vehicle was purchased at auction tells you nothing. Virtually every dealer buys and sells at auctions, most won't bother to mention that to you.

Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote

class a, dealer