Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #29

Big Rig??

Also not trying to steal the thread, but I have to ask somewhere.
What is considered a big rig? I only have 2 slides on the driver's side.

Thanks all!!

GoBama84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2013, 11:43 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBama84 View Post
Also not trying to steal the thread, but I have to ask somewhere.
What is considered a big rig? I only have 2 slides on the driver's side.

Thanks all!!

Typically, 40 to 45 feet. The book Big Rigs Best Bets is written for 40 footers with a parenthetical (FF) for 45 footers.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #31

Freightliner Owners Club
We're 38'5" and although not considered a big rig it's the height that concerns us. Trees are the enemy!! We live in the trees, but we keep them trimmed above the road at least 14 feet. I wish RV parks would do the same thing and I kinda think with more and more MH's on the road many parks are getting the idea that they need to do some trimming.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:06 PM   #32

Many cgs aren't well maintained, owners not on the premises and visit once a year. But this goes for many kinds of businesses. I have no expectations as I am only stopping for a short, temporary stay and care less if they stay in business. I would like to get correct directions from them but that's asking too much.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:09 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Richard View Post
Wow I hope they dont make the FL state parks big rig friendly. You guys want a landing strip for each lot. Kinda ruins the whole nature thing in my book.

Last month was at Florida's Myakka River State park. Gorgeous park! Great wide private spots nestled into the natural Live Oaks! Wow! The main road trees left air plants on my rig at 13'. being whacked back to 16' would have ruined the road.
Richard, no one is asking for parks to be chopped/cut up... Quite the opposite... all we're asking is that parks that declare themselves "Big Rig" friendly be that, Big Rig Friendly... Roads that can handle a 45 foot RVs turn radius, sites that can handle a 45 foot with toad and 4 slides, trees that neither intrude into the parking area in either girth or height to handle 13 foot high rigs. I chose to drive a Big Rig and I accept the limitation of many parks to accept a Big Rig. I don't park 'IN" state parks, I park near them, I don't park "IN" national parks, I park near them. However, when park/resort management choose to be listed in Good Sam's as "Big Rig" friendly I expect them to be just that... a park that can handle a 45 footer in all aspects!
Old 08-23-2013, 09:05 PM   #34

If it says "big rig friendly" you should be able to trim any tree that touches your rig to and from your site without asking........just sayin'.....
Wouldn't take long before they were truly "big rig friendly"
Old 08-23-2013, 09:57 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Haha!
If they were all perfect I would not carry my leveling assistance system (AKA lumber).
When ya camp, ya gotta improvise, adapt, succeed in spite of adversity!
Now where have I heard that before?

Stealth1, Ken_ That is an excellent explanation of expectations.
Oddly enough, I had more trouble with trees and getting into/out of sites with our crew-cab dually and 40' 5er than I do with our present 40' MH and Jeep Grand Cherokee towed.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:03 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileRick View Post
Yes, please post reviews on RV Park reviews and Yelp as well. We rely heavily on these websites as well as google earth to choose where we stay, and we faithfully post reviews on these sites after each stay. Sharing experiences both good and bad help us all.
I can't trust RVPARKREVIEWS as the webmaster censors/edits input before it is posted to the site. I had an issue with a RV park that said they were big rig friendly... we got there and they put us in two back to back sites... which was OK and told us we would need to pull thru the site across the road from us to exit , as the road itself was too narrow to make the turn. They told me that they would not rent that site that I needed to pull thru to exit. About an hour later, they did rent the site ( even though the park was maybe 1/3 full with plenty of other options) . I spoke to the staff member about this and explained how I would not be able to leave in the morning unless the other person moved their trailer. She said that I'd have to live with it and wait until the person left. I spoke with the people in the trailer, and they did go back to the office and got a different site. I provided this input to RVPARKREVIEWS along with my assessment of the power/water/restrooms,etc ( all positive by the way) but commented on the rude staff and the fact that they planned to block me in (43 ft MH towing a pickup truck) . The RVPARKREVIEWS webmaster responded that he would not post my review as it might be a one time occurrence.. I think not... the park advertises as big rig friendly and are anything but that. Then RVPARKREVIEWS decides to censor my review --- I will not use that site now that I know they publish what they want , not what contributors provide as accurate experiences and observations.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post

I can't trust RVPARKREVIEWS as the webmaster censors/edits input before it is posted to the site. I had an issue with a RV park that said they were big rig friendly... we got there and they put us in two back to back sites... which was OK and told us we would need to pull thru the site across the road from us to exit , as the road itself was too narrow to make the turn. They told me that they would not rent that site that I needed to pull thru to exit. About an hour later, they did rent the site ( even though the park was maybe 1/3 full with plenty of other options) . I spoke to the staff member about this and explained how I would not be able to leave in the morning unless the other person moved their trailer. She said that I'd have to live with it and wait until the person left. I spoke with the people in the trailer, and they did go back to the office and got a different site. I provided this input to RVPARKREVIEWS along with my assessment of the power/water/restrooms,etc ( all positive by the way) but commented on the rude staff and the fact that they planned to block me in (43 ft MH towing a pickup truck) . The RVPARKREVIEWS webmaster responded that he would not post my review as it might be a one time occurrence.. I think not... the park advertises as big rig friendly and are anything but that. Then RVPARKREVIEWS decides to censor my review --- I will not use that site now that I know they publish what they want , not what contributors provide as accurate experiences and observations.
We've never had a review edited. Always posted as we wrote it. That is not good. But that said, it is more
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileRick View Post

We've never had a review edited. Always posted as we wrote it. That is not good. But that said, it is more
Sorry, touched "send" accidentally.

Anyway, we always check multiple sources and google earth. The more info the better. I'm disappointed in RV park reviews regarding your experience.
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:32 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
They've done that to me to with editing reviews.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:33 PM   #40

http://www.mountainviewsrv.com/

:-)

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote