Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Dear "Big Rig Friendly" Camp Ground/RV Resort owners

We just returned from a 1,650 mile trek that included stops at "Big Rig Friendly" parks. Yes, we have the electronic version of "Big Rig Best Bets" and use it faithfully BUT, when you're going into an area that is not listed in "BRBB" then I rely on Good Sam's RV Park data base. It seems there is a trend towards parks stating they are "Big Rig Friendly" based SOLEY on the length of the parking space. Park owners... PLEASE consider the trees adjacent to your "Big Rig" parking spots... a 45 foot rig cannot clear a large tree "bonnet" while trying to negotiate a turn into the parking space if the bonnet intrudes into the parking area! In Michigan I had to go back to the office and ask for another parking space. The second space, another pull through, was negotiable "into" the space BUT I had to back out of the space; again because of trees! Tree bonnet width and tree limb height have to be considered... our Essex is pushing 13 feet in height!! In Ohio, the entrance into and out of the parking space was a breeze... until I hit their 8 foot wide roads with a 90 degree turn around multiple "full timer" parked vehicles, trees and flower planters... which was the "posted" exit path... Please, can the owners walk their parks and consider which spaces, and access roads can truly handle Big Rigs with their associated wheel bases and turn radiuses BEFORE advertising as Big Rig Friendly!! Thanks...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Thank you x2
Old 08-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #3

Hi,
We generally stay at state parks and use Reviews of RV Parks and Campgrounds - RV Park Reviews to check for "big rig friendly" for the most part. We use that rating for assurance we can get to the park only! For some assurance the roads/bridges to get you to the park are OK? Once arriving at the park, we notify park rangers of our arrival and then request they allow us to drop the toad and use it to pick out a convenient campsite we think will work out for us? Rarely will anyone take issue with this request. They get the fact you may have some issues they don't have to deal with often, and very often are relieved you aren't depending on them for safe passage! Once the site we want is identified (in parks with tight quarters), I will most often trace the route I plan on taking noting problem areas that might be of concern. This has worked out really well for us in a LOT of parks - and I love the fact my safe passage has been assured by checking it out in person - using the toad. That's me though. FWIW, -Al
Old 08-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
X2 on The BRBB book. We now rely on BRBB for almost all of our RV Park selections. Last year we had a nightmarish experience getting our little 37' DSDP into a KOA that advertised itself as being big rig friendly in Western Pennsylvania. Then again a RV park in northern Michigan that we decided not to even try and cancelled our reservation after looking at the sites and interior roads. In southern Virginia, I had to get on my roof to cut down a few limbs to keep them from hitting my slide outs and possibly tearing up my topper. I too would expect park owners to keep the trees better trimmed and be honest about getting larger motorhomes safely in and out!!

Good thread, I hope park owners read IRV2.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #5

X2 also we were just in lake George at king Phillips and I could barely make the turns had to get to owners to pull limbs on pine trees away as they would not cut them so I could get to the site. even then there are some lite scuffs from limbs we couldn't get too. we fit the site but just barely. campground owners please read and either trim or turn us down when we ask if you can handle us
rstarny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't want to steal this thread and I don't have as big a rig as most of you but it also irratates when campground owners park pop-ups and tents on their biggest sites and then try to fit you into the small sites that are left.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #7

We find those same problems all the time also. Seldom is the site itself the problem. Rather it is the narrow roads, sharp turns, trees, or any number of other things.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Traveling North and wanting to get through the town and NP area, called ahead to a CG in Moab, about sunset, said we had a 40 footer with towed minivan. Asked for a pull thru for overnight. They said sure come on in. Stopped at the office and registered. Most of the sites were pull through ~ 36'. I had to disconnect the toad and put in an empty spot next door. Should have just boondocked on the BLM land.
Not a Happy Camper!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:00 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Ken, all I can say is, "Amen brother!"

When making reservations at Florida state parks a couple of years ago I called every park before making the reservation to be sure that not only was the site big enough, but that I could get to it, and back out, without damage to the rig or the park facilities. Almost every call was answered by an RV workcamper and I had some confidence that I could rely on their response. Many even suggested specific sites after we talked about my needs. I did say "almost".

When I called John Pennekamp a very young lady answered the phone. Her first response to my question was, "most of our sites are at least 70' long". I told her that much I could tell from their web site, but what I couldn't tell is exactly what Ken was talking about. Suffice it to say, she was no help.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know of many campgrounds where even the "Roads" in the campground have tree limbs at 10 or 11 feet, Minimum trim is 16 feet owners.. Limbs LOWER than 16 feet should be trimmed no less than 3 feet BACK from the edge of the road.

Then there is the one campground where I complained to the off duty manager (Who happened to be there) about a tree that was crowding the road and by the time I parked and went to the office to register the site the tree was down.

It was falling over when I drove past it you see.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:32 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
I don't want to steal this thread and I don't have as big a rig as most of you but it also irratates when campground owners park pop-ups and tents on their biggest sites and then try to fit you into the small sites that are left.
Me too. I cannot believe the number of times I have seen tents or travel trailers in a 50 amp campsite and been told all they have left for my MH is a thirty amp hookup. If it is a hot day and I want to run both air conditioners that is not going to happen. I am not begrudging anyone having a 50 amp service but if you only have a 30 amp service in your TT or a tent why do you need to block someone out of a service they could take full advantage of. If I ran a campground if you have 30 amp service in your vehicle you could only park in a 30 amp service until those were all full.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:17 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It's hard to get them to understand the issues of driving to the site, but at the site, I'll deploy the pole saw or the hand saw. Most times I will tell them I'm doing some trimming at my site. Often I just do it quickly and hide the evidence. Every so often I hear, it won't hurt your coach...really!!!

I enjoy camping, but I also like to relax and watch TV at night. If those branches are blocking my HD sat, they're getting a thinning after dark.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:27 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They say they are big rig FRIENDLY. Friendly is the operative word.

I have been in several that were not big. They all were friendly, however.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:29 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
x2 on Diplomat Don's pole and hand saw! And we all know pruning makes the tree healthier!
dmason is offline   Reply With Quote