Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
I wish someone would explain why it's illegal to charge more for credit card use anywhere else but fuel stations. You don't pay for credit card use at the grocery store, appliance stores, Home Depot etc.

Wrong, we all pay more for the CC convenience, even if you use cash!

I've long known that I just may get a better price on a large ticket item IF I pay cash, and ask for the discount BECAUSE I use cash.

Fueling up a big rig with a couple hundred gallons each day IS a large purchase and cash rules.

Ed

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #16

The law is clear! Merchants cannot charge more for use of a credit card, BUT they can give a discount for cash (charge less for cash).
California requires the posted signs note the price is for cash - and they do!
I don't like paying more when using a credit card, BUT that is not deception! If I cannot discern the difference, shame on me.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #17

I too will not buy fuel in Indiana because of their strange tax laws on fuel. The charge sales tax on fuel including the federal taxes on it. BS if you ask me I prefer to go around than go through.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I also have wondered why they have two prices cash versus credit on diesel but not on gasoline. If I remember correctly credit card companies charge a flat amount like 25 cents or something like that plus a percentage for each credit card transaction. If I am correct based on that assumption it would cost more to take credit cards for gasoline sales than large diesel sales. 15 gallons per fill up for ten fill ups versus 1 charge for fill up for 150 gallons. So from that perspective would be cheaper to do one than ten There is however a percentage involved and diesel costs more than gas In my experience from 20 cents per gallon more ( I fondly remember those times) to 1.00 more. From the persepective of per centage then diesel fill ups cost more to merchant. Does anyone know why they dont have a cash price for gasoline.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #19
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I see the same cash / credit for gas as well as diesel.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I see the same cash / credit for gas as well as diesel.
This might be a regional thing. I travel I-80/I-90 in IL, IA, WI and I only see cash/credit prices for diesel, gasoline is the same price cash or credit. It is sort of beside the point whether or not some stations/locations have the cash/credit option for both diesel and gasoline, the point is why do some station discriminate between diesel and gasoline. Maybe not in all areas but I definitely see it where I mostly travel.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlGeo View Post
The law is clear! Merchants cannot charge more for use of a credit card, BUT they can give a discount for cash (charge less for cash).
California requires the posted signs note the price is for cash - and they do!
I don't like paying more when using a credit card, BUT that is not deception! If I cannot discern the difference, shame on me.
Merchants, all of them, can now charge for credit card fees. You can google it or follow this link: Charging Customers a Credit Card Fee at Check Out
Old 08-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #22

Credit card charges paid by the retailer has more methods of calculating the amount they actually pay than airlines have to calculate the price you pay for a ticket! Average number of charges/month, average amount/sale, and of cource, total charges per months. There is no plug and play rate!

As for the price not being different at the GAS pump I would say market conditions rules. A small car with a 12 gallon tank will SHOP for the price, a trucker will stop for convenience or contract or where the company tells them to. Of course this is all speculation on my part as I have never driven a big rig.

H.

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #23
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The first I remember price differentiation between a cash and credit purchase was during the first "gas crisis", back in the 70's. Prices were jumping exponentially (in places where it was available). I suspect it was an attempt to try and mitigate the sticker shock somewhat, giving you the option to pay cash. 20 years later that seemed to disappear, now it is once again common. I can understand, from the point of view of the vendors. New laws enacted since the economic "downturn" and bank rescues have eliminated many of the historical sources of income for banks and other credit card issuers. They are passing more of their expenses onto the retailer, to the point it becomes too much for many of them to bear, especially on some products with especially low profit margins to begin with. (I suspect Wisconsin retailers, mentioned above, aren't under the same pressure to charge different prices as state laws set the minimum markup on gas/fuel, a fact consumer groups there have been fighting for years).

I don't have a real problem with the practice, as long as it's made obvious before the purchase. There is one new gas station near us that shows the cash price on it's street side marque, but doesn't declare such. It's not until you're standing in front of the pump that you might notice there is a difference in price. Most make it clear they are advertising a cash only price.

I too plan my fuel stops to exclude Indiana. Ultimately their insane/confusing laws are hurting their domestic business people, many of whom are "mom & pop" operations.

For the record, South Carolina typically has the lowest price on both gas and fuel of any of the 50 states. This past weekend we made a day trip to Lake Lure in North Carolina, I hadn't checked the gas gauge before we headed out. I wasn't going to buy in North Carolina if I didn't have to - the needle was rubbing the big red 'E' when we finally got back to South Carolina.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #24
doc

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
In Indiana it is the opposite. Diesel for commercial trucks is lower priced, passenger and RV lanes are higher due to a 7% sales tax imposed. Of course the Price shown on the sign out front shows the truck price. When I fueled using the truck lane, the cashier manually added the taxes to the ticket..
Had that same experience a few years back and the clerk was so inept that he could not explain why. Figured I got hosed but couldn't do anything about it. Fuel was already in the tank.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
Ya I have seen other Indiana gas price laws.
I Don't buy gas or diesel in IN because of it.
they have one that prevents them from advertising the full price of gasoline
something like "tax shall not be included in the advertised price" I wpould say how i really fell about it, but this is a family web site.
I agree fuel up before and after Indiana. Pulled into the truck
Pumps with the 40' MH. Would not even let me use them.
Had to go to the gas/audiesel pumps. Fun and slow with a
100 gal tank and a toad.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #26

DW just had a comment, who carries that much "cash"?
Old 08-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #27
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppopc View Post
DW just had a comment, who carries that much "cash"?
Debit cards
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #28

Thor Owners Club
There are some (not many) that post a cash & a credit price for gasoline here in Ohio. I just got my RV and have a Pilot/Flying J card on the way. I am supposed to receive a 6 cent per gallon discount off the cash price for diesel (Good Sam discount). I want to use the big boy pumps with the large nozzles. My first fill was at a station with the small nozzle. Took a long time...had to hold the nozzle in the fill to keep it from falling out, and the pump cut me off at $100.

Talked to a friend who is a truck driver and he said his last fill up was $981

Tags
diesel, fuel