Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2017, 07:42 PM   #1

Deciding on the right older motorhome

Wife and I are retired and on a fixed income. We want to take about $20K from savings and purchase an older Class A, one that won't turn into a money pit. We had a small motorhome some years ago -- a Winnebago Sightseer -- so we know the basics. This time around, however, we need some advice on what to look for in an older (affordable) coach around 32' to 36'. We live in AZ and all the old motorhomes in this state are worn out from the sun so we will travel up to Oregon or Washington to do our looking. The question I am asking is what are the brands we should focus our search on. Better quality usually equals better materials and workmanship, etc., and that translates into increased longevity (I think). And it's okay if we end up with a coach with no slides. More than anything we want reliability. Many thanks for you thoughts.
edmck101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2017, 09:36 PM   #2

The sun here in AZ mostly only affects the exterior finish, it does not affect quality materials, workmanship or mechanicals. The dry weather, on the other hand, helps preserve many of those aspects of an older coach. I would more worry about all the effects of rain and humidity and moisture damage on a coach in the Northwest.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
The sun here in AZ mostly only affects the exterior finish, it does not affect quality materials, workmanship or mechanicals. The dry weather, on the other hand, helps preserve many of those aspects of an older coach. I would more worry about all the effects of rain and humidity and moisture damage on a coach in the Northwest.

That's exactly what I was thinking well said
Arricejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:52 AM   #4

Deciding on the right older motorhome

edmck,
I cringed when you said you're going to go to the NW to find a motorhome rather then the SW. While the sun doesn't do any favors to the exterior of a motorhome stored outdoors, the dry/low humidity environment is very beneficial to a motorhome. That's why there are thousands of aircraft put into preservation and stored in the SW - the dry environment. If I were you I'd definitely focus the search in the SW - I think you'll have no problem finding an affordable RV. Also, a detail shop can work wonders on an RV that's been under the sun to bring the shine back.

There are many choices of older motorhomes that are in the price range you've specified. The biggest challenge will be finding one that won't turn into the dreaded 'Money Pit' as you mentioned. We have a 98 Fleetwood Pace Arrow Vision that's 36' with a tag axle. For a coach that's going on 20 years old it's been bullet proof. Nothing other then routine maintenance and small fixes. My parents were the original owners and for many years would drive it from Oregon to Casa Grande to spend the winter months there. You could find a coach like that for well within your budget and have money left over for updating it. That's the other thing - an older coach is more likely then not to be dated, but I've seen many listed that the owners have done some updates like tv, carpet, etc.

As far as reliability if you're looking at a gasser unit Fleetwood has worked for us. I always get the itch to replace it with something nicer and newer, but my DW always reminds me that it works great for us for the way we use it, it's paid for, and we have one kid in college and two more to go that aren't far behind ... lol.

Older diesel units that I'd look at are Holiday Rambler, Monaco, Newmar. I mean - the list could be very long, but it's going to be somewhat limited by the budget you've set.

The motorhome you find that you like may be a wonderful unit, or it could be a nightmare - the only way to hedge your bet and put the odds of it being wonderful are with a very thorough pre purchase inspection by a competent rv tech. The inspections should also include engine and transmission fluid tests.

Lastly, whatever unit you zero in on that checks out - spend several hours in it with the two of you as if you're full timing in it, and see if the floor plan is to your liking.

There's several threads if you scroll down in the class a section that discuss brand reliability with older RV's.

Good luck in your search, and keep us updated.

Kirk
Sunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:14 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Consider an upper model Fleetwood gas coach like Southwind and Pace Arrow. I have a 2001 Fleetwood Southwind gasser with the Ford V10 chassis that has been super reliable for the 4 years that I have owned it. You may be able to find a less faded exterior on a coach that lived in the cool NW instead of sunny AZ but there are far fewer for sale up there and they will mostly sell for more than in AZ. You will also see more coaches with water damage in the NW.
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:26 AM   #6

We started out in a '94 Bounder 34J which had been completely remodeled with very low miles. Absolutely exceptional condition. Paid $15K for it and it served us well. Gave it to our son who is using it.

Condition and mileage over model year IMO will serve you well. As previously mentioned any of the Fleetwood Bounder, Southwind or Pace Arrow coaches would be my choice.

Have fun...it's very doable for $20K and on a fixed income. Make sure tires are fresh or you'll be shelling out additional $2,500 very soon.

Good luck.
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny1 View Post
edmck,
I cringed when you said you're going to go to the NW to find a motorhome rather then the SW. While the sun doesn't do any favors to the exterior of a motorhome stored outdoors, the dry/low humidity environment is very beneficial to a motorhome. That's why there are thousands of aircraft put into preservation and stored in the SW - the dry environment. If I were you I'd definitely focus the search in the SW - I think you'll have no problem finding an affordable RV. Also, a detail shop can work wonders on an RV that's been under the sun to bring the shine back.

There are many choices of older motorhomes that are in the price range you've specified. The biggest challenge will be finding one that won't turn into the dreaded 'Money Pit' as you mentioned. We have a 98 Fleetwood Pace Arrow Vision that's 36' with a tag axle. For a coach that's going on 20 years old it's been bullet proof. Nothing other then routine maintenance and small fixes. My parents were the original owners and for many years would drive it from Oregon to Casa Grande to spend the winter months there. You could find a coach like that for well within your budget and have money left over for updating it. That's the other thing - an older coach is more likely then not to be dated, but I've seen many listed that the owners have done some updates like tv, carpet, etc.

As far as reliability if you're looking at a gasser unit Fleetwood has worked for us. I always get the itch to replace it with something nicer and newer, but my DW always reminds me that it works great for us for the way we use it, it's paid for, and we have one kid in college and two more to go that aren't far behind ... lol.

Older diesel units that I'd look at are Holiday Rambler, Monaco, Newmar. I mean - the list could be very long, but it's going to be somewhat limited by the budget you've set.

The motorhome you find that you like may be a wonderful unit, or it could be a nightmare - the only way to hedge your bet and put the odds of it being wonderful are with a very thorough pre purchase inspection by a competent rv tech. The inspections should also include engine and transmission fluid tests.

Lastly, whatever unit you zero in on that checks out - spend several hours in it with the two of you as if you're full timing in it, and see if the floor plan is to your liking.

There's several threads if you scroll down in the class a section that discuss brand reliability with older RV's.

Good luck in your search, and keep us updated.

Kirk

Kirk , I assume yours has a 460 . True ?
I have a 96 Bounder 36 ft with tag axle . How does your do in mountains etc ?
I have headers on mine , it helps but I'm concerned if it's going to survive climbing mountains etc
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:22 AM   #8

Just a thought about motor home location. Where they are located now doesn't necessarily mean that is where they have always been. We bought our Flair in Southern CA, but after looking at records we learned that it had spent most of it's life in the Portland, OR area.

In general, older motor homes will require more maintenance than newer simply because everything is older and has been used more (IMHO). I can still do all my own maintenance which reduces the cost of ownership significantly. If your budget is pretty tight and you can't do your own maintenance I would suggest having several thousand in reserve for maintenance.

I've been looking on Craigslist and other places for a short DP with a '94 to '98 5.9 Cummins and Allison 6 speed transmission with a dinette floor plan. Those seem to be few and far between, but I see a good many MH's in general within your size and price range.

What may be another consideration is the fuel mileage. Our 454 powered '94 26' Flair averaged 7.5 mpg on our nearly 8k mile OR to WV and back trip last summer (we meandered). I think a 5.9 Cummins powered DP of similar size, probably more like 30', would average around 10 mpg, but maintenance costs would probably be higher. Others may have more experience with this. Most of our experience has been with diesel powered TC's.

Best of luck with your search and purchase.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:29 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I keep saying this but IMO the most important item is floor plan.

Whatever you buy should be in good condition. Have the systems and running gear checked. Look for maintenance records and have the oil analyzed. Look at the general condition of the coach. Does it please you (gently used) or is it well used?
Old 04-24-2017, 11:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I keep saying this but IMO the most important item is floor plan.

Whatever you buy should be in good condition. Have the systems and running gear checked. Look for maintenance records and have the oil analyzed. Look at the general condition of the coach. Does it please you (gently used) or is it well used?
I would agree with Gordon.

Even though the floor plan isn't as important to me as the rest of the things he mentioned simply because I do the maintenance, my wife likes a specific floor plan and that makes it the most important!

Just my 2c.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:35 AM   #11

I know that I sound like a broken record every time this topic comes up, but please, please, please, stick to a gasser MH in that ($20K) price range. You may get lucky, but a $20k diesel pusher will probably break your heart as well as your bank account. Even buying a gasser, you should have at least $5k in an emergency fund for unanticipated repairs/brakedowns in addition to your purchase price. Do you think that a mid to late 90's Class A will not have parts or subsystems at or near the end of their useful life? Also, since you have owned one before, you probably haven't forgot about acquisition costs: Tax, registration, license, etc. One more consideration - what vehicle do you plan to tow? Will the MH you purchase have a towbar? If not, there is another $1k. Plus a Brake Buddy or similar, plus base plate - at least another $2k with installation. This is why I say that what you pay for the MH is just the price of admission.

Aw, what the heck. Why leave it to your kids? I just want you to consider all of the contingencies before you take the starry-eyed plunge like most of the rest of us did. Now forget the doom-and -gloom and go for it!
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
Kirk , I assume yours has a 460 . True ?
I have a 96 Bounder 36 ft with tag axle . How does your do in mountains etc ?
I have headers on mine , it helps but I'm concerned if it's going to survive climbing mountains etc

Hi Stepside,
It has the Chevy chassis with a 454. I like that it has the tag with it being such a short wheelbase. Can't imagine how it would feel in crosswinds or the wobble wobble of the passing semi-truck effect without the tag. As for the mountains - there's no doubt that we aren't breaking any speed records getting to the top. However, there's no mountain pass that it won't go over. I just turn on the four way flashers, shift down to 2nd gear, and generally just fall in line with the semi trucks. You can definitely hear the engine getting a workout under the doghouse, but it's still easy to carry on a conversation. I'm sure yours will perform the exact same getting over any mountain. Just don't push it on the speed and take your time. I guess an added benefit of going so slow is you have more time to enjoy the passing scenery ... lol.

Kirk
Sunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:20 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
In your price range, you are looking at the bottom of the food chain. This is usually the last stop for most MHs. I also look in this range and have been able to come up with some good deals on my old Mirada and our recently purchased Southwind.

Keep in mind, you are buying an old house and an old truck. If you are not able to do a lot of work on your own, you may find this to be a money pit.

But if you take your time, do NOT get emotionally attached, you'll come across a gem...

I believe I would start my search in AZ. There are a great deal of MHs in that market. most will not have water damage, but may have UV damage that needs to be dealt with (vent covers, roof, etc)

We just sold our 2001 Mirada (an entry level Class A) and upgraded to a 1999 Southwind, (High end Class A). We were originally looking at DPs, mainly for quality, but after looking and finding build quality in many gasser builds, we rolled back our search criteria to a MH built on a Ford F53 chassis, which is a good chassis and one I'm familiar with. The reason We looked specifically for the F53, I'm very familiar with it, have a lot of spares parts, and I've found it to be a very reliable chassis.

We are absolutely in love with our "New-to-Us" Southwind. The floor plan is exactly what we were looking for, and the build quality is superb.

It has some issues, mainly stuff is worn out, but as you look at my web sites, you'll see I'm working through the things that need fixing.

The more experience you have and know what to look for, the better position you'll be in at the bargaining table.

Generally, look at how the vehicle has been maintained, You can see this, even without records, i.e. look at grease fittings, transmission fluid color, filters, etc. How does the inside look, is it abused, or used and maintained. Is it clean and presentable.

Two heavy negotiating items, water damage and tires.

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:22 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmck101 View Post
Wife and I are retired and on a fixed income. We want to take about $20K from savings and purchase an older Class A, one that won't turn into a money pit. We had a small motorhome some years ago -- a Winnebago Sightseer -- so we know the basics. This time around, however, we need some advice on what to look for in an older (affordable) coach around 32' to 36'. We live in AZ and all the old motorhomes in this state are worn out from the sun so we will travel up to Oregon or Washington to do our looking. The question I am asking is what are the brands we should focus our search on. Better quality usually equals better materials and workmanship, etc., and that translates into increased longevity (I think). And it's okay if we end up with a coach with no slides. More than anything we want reliability. Many thanks for you thoughts.
20,000 is not a lot to spend on Class A and not get a money pit
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome