Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2011, 09:54 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Decision Time! Please help!

I am looking to purchase a MH cover. Adco has a nice Designer Series cover, made with the Tyvek. Thru Camping world it cost @ $400. Speaking with Adco Co., they have a discontinued store that has my model cover in stock, the older style. This style has tyvek on top and poly. on sides. I live in Wisconsin, lots of snow, but I have my mh in a wind blocked in area. This older( discontinued) style thru the store is $250 and the rep. said it doesnt have vents, but it breathes. The vents were put in the newer models for bellowing prevention. He said both covers breathes well for my mildewing concerns. Question: Has anyone had the same thoughts about mildew concerns and quality concerns @ these type products? Also, suggestions about what to use for cushioning the sharp areas on top? The weight of the snow and wind blowing some may cause tearing, any suggestions? Thanks
lilgreek7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2011, 05:57 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cover

I have a 6-7 year old Tyvektop/polyster sides cover by Adco. Every year I clean my m/h and cover it for winter. The sides breath enough for me. I also keep my roof vents open ( I have plastic vent covers). Last year it really snowed here in New England and I had to scrape the snow off of the roof three times. The first time there was up to 3 ft of snow on the roof. When I finally took off the cover in February I notice some new wear marks. No rips. It was so cold that I just rolled it up and stuffed it in a large clean plastic trash can. I kept meaning to take it out and survey it but I didn't. Finally my grandsons and I took it out of the covered trash can early this evening. We spread it out on the lawn. There were some damp spots that we dried out and a few more rub spots that we covered and repaired. I have been repairing this cover every year that I find a spot. I use extra wide Duct tape on both sides of the wear mark. The tape is the same color as the cover so it is barely visible .
I think if you believe that a cover won't have any wear marks or small tears, even after the first year you are dreaming. You can extend the cover by puting it away clean and surveying all rub and tear marks.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:29 PM   #3

Buy the cheaper one. I didn't but it lasted one season because when I stored it the mice found it and made nests in it. When I unrolled it they had eaten right through several layers. I bought a new one (cheap and it has torn where the slide covers retract) in all honesty I don't think I'm going to even use it again. Fortunatly we don't get snow.

Mark
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I cut up a swim noodle to pad the pointy/projectile thingies on our coach - they did a great job when we used a cover. We took off our radio/cb antenna & also the small solar panel that keeps our batteries topped off.

HERE you can see pics of ours after the 1st winter - when I didn't pad enough of the pointy things (& one that I did, but poked through anyway).

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:45 PM   #5

I cover mine..and will never leave it uncovered...any protection is better than none. I have never had any mold or mildew problems. 1 thing to keep in mind....if you have any sort of railing around the edge of the roof....your probably going to make a water dam. With the cover's top being water proof, there is no wear for the water to go if the vehicle leans down towards the end with the railing. I use a laundry basket turned upside down to make a rise under the cover to keep water from being dammed by the railing. Any sort of foam or rubber can be used to protect the cover at sharp corners...You will be thankfull you took the time to cover the sharp areas
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:20 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We live in Canada and get plenty of snow. I'm looking for a cover for our new RV, but I'm concerned about it doing the same thing as the front bras - acting like a sandpaper. We sometimes go winter RVing - ski trips. How much pain would it be to take it off and then put it back on during the cold weather? Am also looking into inside storage, but most places don't allow in-out access. Thoughts?

Sorry - don't mean to hijack the thread.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:33 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i have the ADCO on my 5W and it has lasted now for 8 winters here in OH and still in good shape. i was going to get one for the MH, but with the Slimline on top, it could rub too much and wear thru.