Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2019, 04:06 PM   #1

Decisions about RearView/Back Up camera SYSTEM

Currently have the OEM Weldex B/W rear view system, and I want to convert to a color system. Here are some questions:

1. Do I really want 3 cameras? My coach has the triple-mirrors and although another view is always better, do they confuse things? Is running cable for side-view cameras as tough as it would seem to be?

2. There is a conversion cable that supposedly uses the existing Weldex cable from the rear of the bus and saves running a new cable. Do those cables allow Color transmission, too?

3. What whole SYSTEM (monitor, cables, camera(s) do you recommend from having one in your coach?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2019, 07:59 PM   #2

I just went through this. We had an old in-dash Panasonic stereo/GPS/backup camera display in the flip-up monitor. I removed the whole stereo unit, mounted a high-def color monitor with dual RCA inputs above the driver seat.

The old rear view camera had a proprietary cable but the rear camera feed went into our Trip-Tec computer and had a RCA output that plugged into one input into the monitor. I then placed a new color camera on the rear engine cover and ran a RCA cable from the front entertainment cabinet and the other input to the monitor, up into the A/C duct, to the back bedroom closet and back into the engine compartment to the new camera. Now I can switch between the old rear view camera output with the Trip-Tec overlay and the new color camera output with the touch of a button.

Under $75 for the monitor, camera and cable, one day of my labor and it works great. Sometimes there are many options to consider, pick the one that works for you.
Click image for larger version

Name:	CameraZOOM-20190514171751553.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	250018
Old 06-16-2019, 09:43 AM   #3

113 views and one response. Does anybody have DIY experience with installation, or at least some experience going from a one-camera system to a 3-camera system?

P.S. New monitors seem to be 7" x 5.25" and the dashboard hole for our Weldex is 8"x6". What have people done in order to cover the gap?
Old 06-16-2019, 11:00 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to bolhuijo
The old Weldex system finally gave up in my Bounder, and I am just finishing up the replacement. Going with 3 cameras seemed impossibly hard for me due to limited access up front, so I stuck with 1. The cabled systems that I found all seemed to want 1 more conductor than the old Weldex 4-conductor wire.

I ended up getting an Emmako wireless unit. Like the Weldex unit, it has a bracket that allows easy hanging from above. With one block of wood to space it out properly, it hangs in the same hole where the Weldex monitor used to live. It's considerably smaller in depth, but it looks fine.
I cut & spliced the ends of the old Weldex 4-conductor cable to send 12V power to the rear for the camera. The camera itself is very nearly the same size as the old Weldex camera and only minor mods were needed to make it fit the same mounting plate.
bolhuijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:07 PM   #5

I've read just enough to...think...that wireless systems can fail if in areas that have a lot of electrical noise (industrial, lots of traffic, etc). Is this an old wives' tale from years ago, or is that still going on?
Old 06-16-2019, 06:14 PM   #6

We had a wireless colour system in our old coach, it would cut out for a second or 2 occasionally. Our new coach has a 3 camera b/w system. I prefer the 3 camera system, would like to upgrade it sometime.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:28 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to bolhuijo
If the literature is to be believed, the older wireless cameras used analog systems that sometimes resulted in picking up other transmissions like nearby vehicles or local security cameras. The newer systems are digital and are better able to reject other transmissions. I hope this is true, but I have zero hours on the road to test this theory.
bolhuijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:51 AM   #8

If that's correct, it opens up a ton more choices in the marketplace. Not sure that installation would be all that different because you'd have to run power to the camera/sending units...and power to the rear camera would be via the existing B/W cable, but to the side cameras would be thought-provoking.

Anybody do an install with wireless and add the side camera?

Tags
camera