Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2013, 09:00 AM   #1

Decisions, decisions

Greetings all, first time long time. Got back from our 2nd year in a row renting a C class and staying at a campground in the Poconos. Family (wife, 4 kids ages 6-12) really enjoy it and thinking about purchasing, went to 2 RV shows since we got back to browse. I would prefer a Class A with an overhead bunk, internet research has me narrowed down to some choices. Saw 2 in person that I would love opinions on.

Winnegabo Vista/ Itasca Sunstar 35B and the Thor Pallazo 33.3 bunkhouse. The 33.3 wasnt there, but we went into the 33.2. My dilemma lies in this, i like everything about the Vista floorplan; front entry, sink on the passenger side (wife's request), bath and a half, exterior storage, etc. I'm not crazy about the Thor floorplan; sink on wrong side, bad TV location over the dinette, only 1 bath, less storage. However, everything I read on here says the diesal pushers on the Frieghtline chassis are the best vehicles, gas mileage, better ride, etc.

So, not sure which direction I should pursue, the floorplan, or the "guts" of the vehicle. Plans for trips would be mostly local, i.e within a couple of hours of New Jersey, with possiblities of trips to Wash DC, Myrtle Beach (13 hours), Disney (22 hours), and Mt. Rushmore (days). Also seems like the Thor could be 20k or more higher in price.

Haven't seen the Fleetwood Storm 32H in person, any other model suggestions? Kids dont want to sleep with each other, so i'm looking for at least 4 sleeping areas other than the bedroom.

Thanks!
SJ

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2013, 09:10 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I am biased as I own a diesel and have never owned a gas. However, RVing is like many other things in life, full of compromise. I would recommend driving both, since most of your trips will be close the mileage thing won't be significant. Floor plan is very important but so is handling and performance. After driving the gas and desirable floor plan you should know if it is the right coach for your family. If the performance and handling isn't to your liking, I would look for a different floor plan with a diesel. With children the extra 1/2 bath will be invaluable and I totally understand the kids not wanting to sleep together so I wouldn't settle on the diesel just because it is a diesel, I would continue looking for the diesel with the floor plan you desire. Have you considered a Super C diesel? Good luck with your search!

jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't know if you have looked at the Tiffin Allegro 35QBA. It is available on a gas or diesel chassis. It only has a single bath but with the bunks and the other areas that can be made into sleeping areas it might be worth looking into.

Just something to look at.

As for gas vs diesel, everyone has an opinion. I'm very happy with our gasser but am certainly looking at both for our next coach. Some is a consideration of how much and where you will be traveling. When you are parked, gas or diesel doesn't matter. Our gasser does great in the mountains but it is only 31'.

Good luck with your search.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:53 PM   #4

Make sure to check out the Monaco Knight and Cayman bunkhouse models and the Forest River Berkshire and Charleston bunkhouse models. Fleetwood also made the Expedition bunkhouse. Just thought with four kids the bh models might be appealing to you. I've considered them myself and I only have one kid traveling with me & the wife.

If you're going to be in the Pocono's with a toad behind you, you may want that diesel
Old 10-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeryan59 View Post
I am biased as I own a diesel and have never owned a gas. However, RVing is like many other things in life, full of compromise. I would recommend driving both, since most of your trips will be close the mileage thing won't be significant. Floor plan is very important but so is handling and performance. After driving the gas and desirable floor plan you should know if it is the right coach for your family. If the performance and handling isn't to your liking, I would look for a different floor plan with a diesel. With children the extra 1/2 bath will be invaluable and I totally understand the kids not wanting to sleep together so I wouldn't settle on the diesel just because it is a diesel, I would continue looking for the diesel with the floor plan you desire. Have you considered a Super C diesel? Good luck with your search!
thanks for your feedback, i think you are right about the extra bath being invaluable. that is definitly a selling point
Old 10-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf View Post
I don't know if you have looked at the Tiffin Allegro 35QBA. It is available on a gas or diesel chassis. It only has a single bath but with the bunks and the other areas that can be made into sleeping areas it might be worth looking into.

Just something to look at.

As for gas vs diesel, everyone has an opinion. I'm very happy with our gasser but am certainly looking at both for our next coach. Some is a consideration of how much and where you will be traveling. When you are parked, gas or diesel doesn't matter. Our gasser does great in the mountains but it is only 31'.

Good luck with your search.
that's a great point about when you are parked, gas or diesel doesnt matter. leaning towards the floorplan over the chassis/engine
Old 10-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi StevieJ,
Welcome to iRV2. Consider Newmar coaches:
these have bunk beds:
Bay Star Sport 3306
Canyon Star 3910

These have an imagination room in the rear of the coach:
Canyon Star 3920 and 3921

Go to Motor Coaches & Custom Luxury Motorhomes | Newmar and take a look.
Gas and diesel I've had both of them. Each served their purpose. Based on how you are going to use the coach, my recommendation is gas power. There are 3 things that sell a coach:
1. floor plan
2. will the coach carry all your stuff and your family (CCC or NCC)
3. Will the coach tow the vehicle you want to tow (GCWR-GVWR and hitch rating)
After these items are met, one can make the decision as difficult or simple as one desires.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Remember the DW has to be happy with the floor plan or glamping will take on a whole new prospective
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:17 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrassrv View Post
Make sure to check out the Monaco Knight and Cayman bunkhouse models and the Forest River Berkshire and Charleston bunkhouse models. Fleetwood also made the Expedition bunkhouse. Just thought with four kids the bh models might be appealing to you. I've considered them myself and I only have one kid traveling with me & the wife.

If you're going to be in the Pocono's with a toad behind you, you may want that diesel
I agree the Forest River bunk house models look like a good value. Newmar are well built and we looked hard at them for our purchase but the prices are too high IMO. But the quality is there. We were looking used

Don't forget to look at the super C's. A lot of room in most of them.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
We also strongly considered the Vista/Sunstar....Until we saw the front drop down bunk. It's just a single bunk. If you just have one child sleeping there, it's ok, but otherwise, there's not much to it. We loved everything else about the floor plan and quality (We were stuck on the 35F). Ended up going with the Thor Miramar which is very similar but has a full size drop down bunk in the front. We wanted to be able to sleep 2 couples comfortably. The dinette also makes a decent size bed for one adult or 2 kids and the sofa flips around to make a full size bed. I yearn for a diesel pusher and wish we could have afforded a little bit more to get the Palazzo version of our floorplan (36.1), but we the Miramar was already more than we wanted to spend! But hey, you only live once... Go with your favorite floorplan!