Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2009, 07:54 PM   #1

Decisions on new moho choice

Ready to purchase a new diesel pusher either Tiffin or Newmar wiith tag axle. Is there any concern or thoughts about the ULSD engine and need to decide if I should go with the Aqua Hot system or stay with propane furnace. My choice so far is between a 2009 Newmar 4320 or a Allegro Bus.
New to this site so hope I am doing things right and thanks to all in advance for any comments.
MackDaddy
MackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2009, 08:26 PM   #2

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I am very satisfied with my Newmar product and the support from Newmar, Cummins, Spartan and Allison. I have the Aqua hot system and it has served us well.
As far as Newmar vs Allegro, both Newmar and Tiffin are good responsible manufacturers, and the deciding factor in my opinion should be the floor plan and ammenities you want. For us when we walked into our coach we knew that 'THIS IS IT" and it has been.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:26 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
MackDaddy,

I agree with Ronnie with regards to choosing a coach and manufacture. It's really about floor-plan, storage, amenities, storage, options, storage, extras, storage, and whatever else you deem important to you. As you can tell from my comments, storage is pretty important for me along with other specifics and that is why when I was looking back in 2003, I researched the brand, model year and floor-plan. Once I went through my wish list, had to have list, and great if it was there list, I ended up looking specifically for a 2002 Monaco Windsor PBT floor-plan. Found it in Fort Meyers, FL but the deal went South in a couple of days as I was making the plane and hotel reservationsafter because the guy sold it locally. As it turned out, I found a better equipped one in CA just a few hours North of me in Dinuba, CA. Made the deal, and I haven't regretted it one bit. Since then I’ve looked at many different newer brands, models, and floor-plans, and each time I leave being so thankful for having what I already got. Don’t want to change and I certainly don’t have the thousands of dollars to make a change or upgrade. I did go to the latest RV show most recently at the Pomona Fairgrounds and the only coach I would have been interested in was the 2010 Dynasty which is now the Monaco top of the line because they have cut way back in the number of models Monaco is making. However, the show price was $500,000, YIKES!

Now regarding the Aqua-Hot system. My coach has it and to tell the truth, if I was to trade or upgrade, the next coach would most definitely have an Aqua-Hot system. The heater system is like having hot-water base board home heat in your RV. There are three zones in my coach, living room /kitchen zone #1, bathroom zone #2, bedroom zone #3. The hot water in endless, and while driving, the engine keeps the water always hot as there is a separate system running through the engine. It also keeps the engine block warm so you don’t need an engine block heater for the cold frigid nights in the North country. The diesel engine with always start right up regardless of how cold it is outside. If you are in a warmer climate as I am during most of the year, I primarily use the 120 volt option to heat the hot water turning the Aqua-Hot system off and saving on diesel fuel. The only word of caution is that you need to service it once a year, changing filters, cleaning the burner, making adjustments where needed, keeping it tuned up, etc. I usually have a RV service center do my service as I don’t feel like crawling into the compartment to do it myself. I know some of the newer coaches have the Aqua-Hot system located so it is easily accessible now. Bottom-line, I wouldn’t leave home without it!

Good Luck with your decision!

Sorry for the long post. Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:43 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I might suggest you add to your list the net cargo carrying capacity of a coach.
I have seen some that were built so heavy there was little left to carry anything. Also you might find that a coach a few years old is better built, has all the bugs worked out and has already depreciated some making it a better buy, if you take out an extended warranty policy.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:23 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
OK RV Wizard you brought it up if you bought or buy used what is a good extended warrenty policy and what company is recommended?

Darrell
DBOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:29 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
RV Wizzard brings up a good point. We bought a 2003 that is a pre-emmissions cummings. I suggest you look into the pros and cons of the new emmissions engines. Secondly, if you buy from a reputable dealer, what bugs are remaining, they will likely take care of just the same as a warranty. We took our maiden voyage from NC to CA a week after purchasing. Anything that was wrong was evident by the end of the trip and our dealer handled everything, no charge. Third, price, price, price.

I'm anxious to hear as other weigh in on the extended warranty companies.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:52 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Both great motorhome's, floor plan, storage and tank capacities were important to us. I purchased my MH 2 years sooner than planned because I wanted the ISL400 without the new emmission equipment. I know that the new ISL425 Cummins are working great but I just didn't want to purchase one the first year out just in case there were changes. It looks like there were no bugs just some software updates. You may want to have the dealer check to make sure that your new ISL425 is up to date.

Good luck with your new MH
Old 11-06-2009, 08:54 AM   #8

Which model Newmar are you thinking of, the DSDP or MADP ?
As long as they both have adequate CCC, the most important factor would be how much you like the floor plan, colors, size and useabilty of the bathroom,kitchen,bedroom, etc.
They should both have the same ISL engine.
How close you live to the factory of either model, might appeal to you.
I live a lot closer to the Tiffin factory then the Newmar one, but I have bought 2 Newmar's so far.
I haven't had any reason to bring either back to the factory for repair.
I have been very happy with both my Newmars.
My only complaint about Tiffin, which is very petty, is the visible hardware, at the top, when you open the pull out counter section.
Tom

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:02 AM   #9
Community Administrator

I've used Good Sam esp for years and they have served me well.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:03 AM   #10

Comments appreciated

Thanks to all so far some good points....At one time I was thinking about what Rv Wizard said about net cargo capacity since my old coach was a 40' Diplomat I was always over weight so definitely need to keep that in mind with this purchase.
denochs you mentioned the pre-emission cummins like a lot of folks but I hear so many rumors not sure what to think is it true that the only diesel fuel in US is now all low sulpher? Also is it true that the emission equipment on the new engines add about 600 lbs. and take up a lot of space?
I sure have a lot of questions don't I.........
Thanks again
MackDaddy
MackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:12 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Added for general knowledge:

Top of the line chassis for deisel pushers is Spartan, next Freightliner (Others and very good ones are no longer manufactured) Forgive me if I forgot some)

It appears for the coach there are 3 classes (New).
(Under $150,000)
($150,000 - $350,000) Mid-range
($400,000 and up)

Most owners bought based upon: And there are many
- Price (Budget) This gets you into the ballpark
- RV type -> TT, 5ver, MH
- Needs (Fulltime, ocassional use, family members, lifestyle, special requirements, expect a lot of mileage, Not a lot of mileage, etc)
- Floorplan (Biggie)
- Manufacture Comfort level (How well do you like the manufacture or perception of)
- (If MH) Coach body, chassis manufacture, amenities, Engine preference (CAT or Cummins)
- Do you intend on longer stays or shorter stays? 5vers tend (but not always) to be longer stay durations while motorhomes tend (but not always) to be those who are on the go and do not stay in any one place very long.
- Initial Cost and Continued Expenses: Least to Most: TT -> 5vers -> MH
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:53 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackDaddy View Post
Thanks to all so far some good points....At one time I was thinking about what Rv Wizard said about net cargo capacity since my old coach was a 40' Diplomat I was always over weight so definitely need to keep that in mind with this purchase.
denochs you mentioned the pre-emission cummins like a lot of folks but I hear so many rumors not sure what to think is it true that the only diesel fuel in US is now all low sulpher? Also is it true that the emission equipment on the new engines add about 600 lbs. and take up a lot of space?
I sure have a lot of questions don't I.........
Thanks again
MackDaddy
My only advice is to speak to owners, not sales people, of both Cummins motors, 1 pre emmissions and with emmisions. I can start off by telling you that my wife and I go on trips with our friends (4 MS's) all pre-emmissions ISL400's and they have been flawess, no recalls at all no problems.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:05 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
I must admit,,, In the beginning I really preferred CAT mostly due due to their reputation and public acceptance, but after owning a Cummins and learning more about it has changed my mind. The Cummins is a great engine and just runs. Now side-by-side, my preference would be Cummins.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:43 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBOL View Post
OK RV Wizard you brought it up if you bought or buy used what is a good extended warrenty policy and what company is recommended?

Darrell
I really have no recommendations, as they're are players coming and going but do suggest you get referrals and read the fine print. These things are for system failures and not maintenance. As long as you understand all the information and have an insurance company that is fair and pays directly to the repairing shop, you will be at ease.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote