Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2013, 06:09 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Deep cycle batteries

Has anyone tried the 6 volt deep cycle batteries from Interstate, specifically the GC2-XHD or the RV-XHD batteries. They boast 232 amp hrs for 20 hours. I've heard a lot about the Trojan T-105 is a good battery, but only have a capacity of 115 amp hrs for 20 hrs. I'd like to get the best bang for my buck and was wondering what everyone thinks. The Interestate is about 2 inches taller, but I have the room to handle that.

Thank You

chysm60
Ken

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2013, 06:19 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the Interstate GC2 batteries (6 of them) in my coach. No problems to report.

Mike

2012 Jeep Liberty Limited
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:25 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Deep cycle batteries

I just found another battery, the Lifetime GPL-6CT that boast a capacity of 300 amp hrs for 20 hrs. They are made in the USA. Not sure where the other batteries are made. I do believe the Interstate are made in the USA also.

chysm60
Ken
Old 06-03-2013, 06:58 AM   #4

Here is a link to another member ideas on these Lifeline batteries. FYI

LIFELINE GPL-6CT Battery Tiedown Help
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:36 AM   #5

I use the Interstate deep cycle batteries and they perform very well. I use less expensive batteries in other equipment such as diesel tractors a diesel car and several collector cars. I am convinced that good battery maintenance is a lot more important than the brand. Buy the lowest price battery that meets your needs, then take real good care of it. The deep cycle 6 volts will last a long time if tou keep them serviced, clean and charged.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #6

Your info for the T-105's is in error, they are rated for 230 Amp Hours.

You are also stating "for 20 hours" and that's a little confusing. I believe you are referring to the term "20 hour rate", which is the most used rate used in literature, and measurement, and is referred to as a C20 rate.

In actuality, my rate is much lower rate of discharge which, in theory, provides many more Amp Hours, and many more "Duty Cycles"

Just food for thought.

Ed
Old 06-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
Your info for the T-105's is in error, they are rated for 230 Amp Hours.

You are also stating "for 20 hours" and that's a little confusing. I believe you are referring to the term "20 hour rate", which is the most used rate used in literature, and measurement, and is referred to as a C20 rate.

In actuality, my rate is much lower rate of discharge which, in theory, provides many more Amp Hours, and many more "Duty Cycles"

Just food for thought.

Ed
Good catch Ed and you are right. 230 amp hours. Interstate mekes a great battery and I have used them and Trojan. Personally I seem to get many more cycles from Trojan and they seam to be a little more resistant to abuse
Old 06-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our OEM set of Interstate U-2200's lasted one month short of 10 years and even then were OK. But, we were headed out and I didn't want trouble with them while gone.
Replaced them with the GC-2 Interstates. I don't think they changed anything but the model designation as they weigh the same and have the same rating as the U-2200's.
I also added 4 oz of mineral oil to each cell, just like I did to the OEM batteries.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #9

I am convinced that good battery maintenance is a lot more important than the brand

Grew up farming with grandpa and dad we found out same thing every oil change on all equipment most at 100 hour intervals we cleaned battery posts checked water cleaned them up it over doubled life on batteries some of them are very expensive we went to 10 plus years on a Battery. Time very well spent. My 2 cents
Old 06-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #10

Coming back in RV'ing after boating for the past 10 years i have experience with all the batteries you mention. We always had two starter and 2 deep cycle for being on the hook.
You will pay a lot for AGM batteries but they are zero maintenance (great if you never check on your batteries) and can handle a higher/faster rate of charge than lead acid batteries. They also don't produce hydrogen gas when they charge (the AGM's) so they are 'safer' than lead acid.
Like someone said, if you maintain lead acid batteries you will probably get 5 years out of them, the AGM maybe a couple more depending on how much use they get. All batteries will take XX number of charges before they start to lose their capacity; AGM ones will take about 20% more charges before they die. So, if you use your rig a lot on battery power, want to run your genny for as short a time as possible (to recharge them) and you are a lazy maintainer, AGM is for you. If you like to putter and don't mind taking longer to recharge, then lead acid is for you. Myself, my DP came with brand new lead acid batteries so I will run them and maintain them until they die, then replace them with AGM (or LiPo if they have come down by then) because 'puttering' around battery acid is not my idea of fun
Old 06-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by koresample View Post
Like someone said, if you maintain lead acid batteries you will probably get 5 years out of them, the AGM maybe a couple more depending on how much use they get.
I got one month short of 10 years out of our standard lead/acid batteries and that was after adding 4 oz of mineral oil to each cell. Treat them right (correct batteries for the use, correct charging, 50% drawdown and maintenance) and you'll get far longer life.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Agree that maintenance the key - Interstate and Trojan both good batteries.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries