Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2015, 03:13 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
DEF

Looking for creative Ideas!

Filling with a 5 gallon container has already destroyed one pair of shoes.

Driving backward through the truck lanes is usually not an option.

Or, perhaps, someone on this forum works for Flying J, and will install DEF hoses on the other side of the lane.
Steve Kieffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2015, 03:24 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Use (or buy) the smaller 2 gallon containers. They are easier to handle. Another alternative is to use a transfer pump to pump from the larger 5 gallon container.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 03:37 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I buy the Blue DEF from Walmart. I found that if you take two of their disposable filler hoses and place then together, they will not leak and gives you the ability to fill without spilling.

Since they're are not filled that often, pull out a stool or something at the same height as the filler spout, rest the container on the stool and then just tip it over to fill. You could even have a shelf swing out from the filler if it's an issue.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 03:51 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
DEF

No big deal. I use the disposable 2 gallon containers. Only have to add every 1,500 miles.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 04:10 PM   #5

the 2 gallon DEF from Walmart works well for me. No fuss, no mess....
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 04:16 PM   #6

Since our Bus has a side radiator, and there is considerable room between the rear cap and the engine, I installed a 15 gal poly ag spray tank in the space. The tank has a small 12v pump that I use to run a rubber hose to the Bus spray tank. Since we travel to Alaska every 2 years and there is little or NO bulk DEF once you get north of the lower 48, the system allows a fill in Montana on the way up and another in the same place on the way down. The aux tank fill is in the center rear of the rig and DEF pump hose reaches it easily.

I know all the warnings about corrosion and age of the DEF, but neither apply. THe pump and tank fittings are all made for agriculture spraying of nitrogen fertilizer which is very close to DEF and the DEF isn't ever in the tank more than 12 months. We've been using the setup for almost 3 years and it works great.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:45 PM   #7

I always wonder what the Truckers think when they see a motorhome backwards in the fuel bay ?
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote