Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2015, 04:18 PM   #1

DEF Added

I was traveling through Illinois the other day and I stopped at a fuel station for trucks. The pump said DEF on it and I assume this means that the fuel contains DEF. I didn't buy it and went on up the highway a little further. My 2000 model Endeavor doesn't require DEF for the Cat engine. Was I wrong to not use that fuel? I thought that DEF had to be added on an individual basis.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2015, 04:19 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
DEF goes in a separate tank for vehicles that use it. It is not mixed with the fuel.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B

slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 04:44 PM   #3

NO . . . Def is NOT in diesel fuel. It can be pumped from that pump into the DEF tank
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 09:19 PM   #4

As stated DO NOT put DEF into your fuel tank, it's mostly(~ 90%) water and WILL cause you a headache at a minimum and new fuel system parts at a maximum.
The re-fueling island DEF pump is totally separate from the fuel pump, just built into the same cabinet.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:50 PM   #5

Boy, I'm glad I didn't pump that DEF into my tank. I feel stupid about that but I had never seen a DEF pump in Alaska where I am from nor any stops I made between there and Charleston SC until I was back in Illinois at a full fledged truck stop. I knew people added it into a tank but when I saw the pump and the price I thought I would go up the road to a more economical station. I didn't even realize it was straight DEF but assumed it was added to the fuel at the pump.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:02 AM   #6

Usually to pump the DEF you need to lift the door and pull out the handle. I don't think it woild even turn on unless it was authorized inside.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:28 AM   #7
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akcontender View Post
Boy, I'm glad I didn't pump that DEF into my tank. I feel stupid about that but I had never seen a DEF pump in Alaska where I am from nor any stops I made between there and Charleston SC until I was back in Illinois at a full fledged truck stop. I knew people added it into a tank but when I saw the pump and the price I thought I would go up the road to a more economical station. I didn't even realize it was straight DEF but assumed it was added to the fuel at the pump.
Don't feel stupid. Just feel happy you didn't add DEF to your fuel tank. Your motorhome doesn't need DEF, and you had no reason to learn anything about it.

Bulk DEF from a pump is usually only available at truck stops because over the road trucks use fairly large quantities of it and have fairly large DEF tanks compared to passenger vehicles. Owners of passenger vehicles and pickups with diesel engines usually buy DEF in 2 1/2 gal containers at places like Walmart, auto parts stores and gas stations that sell diesel fuel. That's the reason you never saw a DEF pump until you went through the truck lanes at a truck stop.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 02:58 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
There are two handles at the truck stop pumps one baby one for the def and the LARGE one for deezle...
the def is NOT in the deezle you pump...
but a separate pump...
and usually a very small nozzle to keep from putting deezle in the def bottle, but the def COULD go into the tank which would be bad !

I used them all the time when I had my 5er and pickups...I hated the bottles - cumbersome, dirty, expensive... and at $2,79 per gallon for the def pump - used it every couple of months...
Old 12-03-2015, 07:17 PM   #9

When I picked up my "new to me" 39L Excursion DP in Las Vegas and went to the fuel it up, I too noticed the DEF pump. I had no idea what is was, so I called my brother, who is a former trucker for UPS, and he said in no uncertain terms "DO NOT PUT THAT STUFF IN YOUR FUEL TANK"! So, I looked it up and here is what I found:

Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) is a non-hazardous solution, which is 32.5% urea and 67.5% de-ionized water. DEF is sprayed into the exhaust stream of diesel vehicles to break down dangerous NOx emissions into harmless nitrogen and water.

Hmmmm? 32.5% urea - same stuff in your urine (p1ss).