Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2013, 05:32 AM   #1

DEF fillup...How?

Those with coaches who require DEF, how do you fill that tank? Refilling a 2 1/2 gallon container that once held DEF purchased at a truck stop or Walmart, or pulling into a truck lane that dispenses the DEF?

Us3Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2013, 05:52 AM   #2

Most truck stops now have a DEF pump at all lanes; however, they are on the wrong side for your coach. So, you must pull into the pumps from the opposite direction compared to the trucks. This is not hard when the truck stop is not busy, but an be impossible at busy times. I always fill my DEF tank way ahead so that I can do it at the pump when truck stop is not busy to avoid aggregating the truckers.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:58 AM   #3

Also keep in mind that it last a long time depending on your tank size...I suspect you will get well over 800 mpg...so the 2.5 gal blue def from Wally World is a good backup plan...
Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:22 AM   #4

I use a gas can that I keep in the rig and only use for DEF. Yes, I look like an idiot running back and forth between the tank and the pump. When the truckers look at me funny I just tell them I didn't design the rig. The price difference between what you get out of the pump and what you buy in containers is just too big for my cheap self to ignore.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:28 AM   #5

I keep an empty DEF container in the basement compartment. When we stop for fuel, I fill the container and store it in the basement. I empty the DEF into the coach's tank at a campground or rest area, away from the trucker and the lines.

The BlueDEF container makes the transfer easy, without a drop spilling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRR2EYW View Post
I use a gas can that I keep in the rig and only use for DEF. Yes, I look like an idiot running back and forth between the tank and the pump. When the truckers look at me funny I just tell them I didn't design the rig. The price difference between what you get out of the pump and what you buy in containers is just too big for my cheap self to ignore.
Us3Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have 2 choices since my DEF fill is on passenger side.

1. go to adjacent lane at truck stop to DEF pump, pull the hose around the fuel island to my rig and fill up. I basically take up 2 lanes. I've done this at Pilot/flying J. I'd never go backward against traffic in the fuel islands, sounds like suicide to me
2. There is a CFN in Centralia WA that has DEF at the end of the row of pumps and it is easy to go the opposite direction at this station. CFN & Pacific Pride are not nearly as busy as Loves, Pilot etc.

I now plan my travels on north bound I5 and stop at CFN if I'm 1/2 a tank or less.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For as little DEF I use in 9,000 miles a year, I buy a couple 2 1/2 gallon BLUE DEF from Wally World and not worry about it.

Mike
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJFZ View Post
For as little DEF I use in 9,000 miles a year, I buy a couple 2 1/2 gallon BLUE DEF from Wally World and not worry about it.

Mike
X2...shop around, prices seem to vary from around $8 to 12...but at 4 boxes in 4 months...seems so much easier, and you don't have the pressure of getting it done at a truck stop.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:02 PM   #9

800 MPG? Don't hold your breath on that one. More like 300-350, but we've only put 11,000 miles on the coach since we got it in mid-January. A little trip from the east coast to Alaska and back is going to be interesting with DEF. According to the DEF locator sites, there are no bulk dispensers after we leave Montana, and very few outlets in Alaska. We'll carry 15 gal and a few 2 1/2 gal jugs just to be sure we don't get caught in a place without or find a seller who wants to get rich off DEF sales. By the way, I've not seen the 2 1/2 gal jugs less than $11.97. I won't even talk to the idiots in the RV industry that decided to put all the DEF tanks in Class A's on the passenger side when the heavy trucks carry theirs on the driver's side. Can anyone spell "clueless" and [moderator edit] poor planning"?
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #10

Thanks to those of you who are considerate of truckers trying to fuel.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:03 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Our DEF tank is 10 gallons. It'll use up the equivalent of a 2.5 gallon DEF container about every 1200 miles. I keep a container on board and will immediately top off the DEF tank when it will accept the 2.5 gallons and at my next opportunity I'll buy a replacement and store it for the next time.

Yes, DEF is much less at the truck stop, and if I was putting 100,000 miles on the rig every year I'd worry about the additional cost, but at about 6 - 7k miles per year, I'm with Mike and Dave.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Industry word is that they were afraid "clueless rv'ers" would mix the tanks/fluids and destroy the systems if fuel and DEF were co-located.

Driving wrong way into a busy truck stop to save a couple of bucks is going to be a real crowd pleaser for sure.

Sounds like if you want to save $$ get a container, then pour it in somewhere else, parking lot campground, rest area...it doesn't have to be done in a busy fuel lane. Just an observation as more of these rigs hit the road.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #13

I definitely wouldn't be driving my rig the wrong way into the fuel island (at least not on purpose). I keep two of the BlueDEF containers in the basement and fill as needed. Usually in the tranquility of the campground with a cold one in my hand.

Major tip -- never, never buy DEF from your RV dealership!! When we bought our Discovery, I was in the little shop at the stealership picking up a few things. I decided to get a box of DEF to have just in case I needed it. Anyway, even though I hate to admit it, I paid 39.99 for my very first box of DEF! While I thought dang that's high -- I'm getting 5,000 miles (that's what the salesmen told me). Ugh! Well, I'm definitely not getting 5,000 miles on a tank but at least I'm not paying $39.95 anymore either!
40GnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twomed View Post
Industry word is that they were afraid "clueless rv'ers" would mix the tanks/fluids and destroy the systems if fuel and DEF were co-located.

Driving wrong way into a busy truck stop to save a couple of bucks is going to be a real crowd pleaser for sure.

Sounds like if you want to save $$ get a container, then pour it in somewhere else, parking lot campground, rest area...it doesn't have to be done in a busy fuel lane. Just an observation as more of these rigs hit the road.
[QUOTE=Twomed;1554417]Industry word is that they were afraid "clueless rv'ers" would mix the tanks/fluids and destroy the systems if fuel and DEF were co-located.

Its not only RV'ers! $18,900 because of a stuipid, sleepy, untrained and uncaring truck driver. That is what my buddy paid for an exchange Red Head 450 Cummins.