Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2014, 10:51 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
DEF is a non-issue, actually I really like it, as far as I'm concerned and how my DP burns it. add 2.5 gal. Container at 1,000 to 1,500 miles at $14.00/container. I get great fuel economy and clean, no smell or blue smoke exhaust. I would prefer a DEF over a Non-DEF. Just my 1 cent.

Cheers.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2014, 11:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
DEF is a non-issue, actually I really like it, as far as I'm concerned and how my DP burns it. add 2.5 gal. Container at 1,000 to 1,500 miles at $14.00/container. I get great fuel economy and clean, no smell or blue smoke exhaust. I would prefer a DEF over a Non-DEF. Just my 1 cent.

Cheers.
what he said... small price to pay for reduced NOx emissions - cleaner air.

cheers,
Joopy

Old 11-23-2014, 08:17 AM   #17
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The short answer, no, DEF is not a big deal. It's readily available (currently under $12 for 2.5 gallons at Walmart) at any retailer with an automotive department or any truck stop.

We recently completed a 5,500 mile four month trip. Theoretically we could have done 80% of the trip without adding any DEF. I always carry a fresh 2.5 gallon container with me, however, and once it's put into the DEF tank (as previously suggested, somewhere between 1000 and 1500 miles) I'll simply pick up another container the next time I happen to be at a Walmart, no need to make a special trip.

No one likes getting caught in traffic behind a pre-DEF engine - the only thing coming out our tailpipe is warm moist air.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:30 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by toothdk View Post
Winne put the DEF fill on the passenger side. All DEF fills so far have been on the driver side at truck fill areas. The DEF at the pump is a whole lot cheaper than buying off the shelf. So far, I have been able to drive thru the wrong way to fill, that can get dicey. We hold 15 gal. of DEF, or so. Carrying a 2 1/2 gal. refill doesn't really fix the problem. Anyone out there have a solution?

Winnebago build my MH on a chassis they bought that had the DEF fill on the passenger side. I understand that now Freightliner puts it on the drivers side.
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:51 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by toothdk View Post
Winne put the DEF fill on the passenger side. All DEF fills so far have been on the driver side at truck fill areas. The DEF at the pump is a whole lot cheaper than buying off the shelf. So far, I have been able to drive thru the wrong way to fill, that can get dicey. We hold 15 gal. of DEF, or so. Carrying a 2 1/2 gal. refill doesn't really fix the problem. Anyone out there have a solution?
Yes, every time I add DEF in the 2.5 gallon container it's simply replaced. We traveled round trip last year from FL to Stowe VT. Used two 2 1/2 gallon (approx.) containers. Our tank holds only ten gallons thus it's just not an issue since the amt of diesel used vs. DEF ratio is so low. For reference 450 ISL with a GVWR 43 K. Average milage 8.1 mpg with towed Ford Edge.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:02 AM   #20

DEF info appreciated

Thanks guys for all the response. Doesn't look like owning an RV requiring DEF is a negative. Would imagine that Flying J, Loves and others will be moving in the direction of making DEF more convenient since is another profit area for them rather than encouraging us to go to Walmart! Thanks again. Arnie
Old 11-23-2014, 09:09 AM   #21

I'm hoping to see stand alone DEF pumps in the future. That way you could pull in which ever way is needed to fill the tank.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:59 PM   #22
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
On a side note, I think the information you received about a dirty toad has more to do with side radiator vs rear radiator. A rear radiator coach picks up everything under it, like a vacumn and spits it out the back, all over the toad. Even with a side radiator dirt is kicked out the back to a certain degree.

Many years ago, a toad was more likely to be covered with what may have looked like soot, but was really oil from a slobber tube. Most of those issues have been corrected.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 03:54 PM   #23

Winnie moved DEF tank to the driver's side for 2015, at least on the journeys. Almost enough to make me trade coaches. Almost.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:16 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
I'm driving my 4th motorhome. 97, 04, 07 & 13. All diesels. I purchased the 07 to avoid the def issue. Now our '13 uses def. I've drive it about 15k miles and have concluded I now like the def. Two issues: much cleaned, environmentally and I not some "green" nut. And no more soot on the exhaust pipe and mud flap. However the white residue on the mudflap from the def is difficult to clean off.

Realistically the cost of the def is insignificant.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:36 AM   #25

I have had both and have a few observations:
1) the DEF fill sucks. Better planning was needed (2014 Excursion). I now use a funnel with a 2' extender.
2) the difference in mileage from the pre-DEF to the DEF makes up for or almost makes up for the additional cost. Will be curious about longevity as we move forward.
3) no black cloud on a cold start day is very nice

4) Its fun to watch some people freek out when the stuff is spilled (pre extender and funnel). Little do they know all I've done is "pee" on the ground.
NadaThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 12:32 PM   #26

DEF isnt really a big issue as far as cost. It seems to last quite awhile. We tow our Jeep and have not had any problems with any exhaust on the Jeep.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:22 PM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not as big a problem as I thought it was going to be. I don't buy DEF at Wal-Mart anymore. If you compare the price per gallon compared to what you get it at the Pilot or other truck stops it is terribly high! Pilot for example lets you fill your tank and get DEF at the same pump (different nozzle) You just answer any questions the pump asks you , fill your diesel, then pull up and fill the DEF tank. My 2014 Thor Tuscany 40EX has the DEF tank in a compartment at the rear of the bus on the drivers side. Just stick the nozzle in and fill. It even has a gauge so you know when your getting close to full. When your done replace the nozzle and your receipt comes out with diesel fuel and DEF prices on it. You can also buy refer gas and kerosene for the big trucks the same way.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:41 PM   #28

Those of us with tag axle, side radiator model have the tank on the passenger side rear. It's a pain to fill when the truck stop is busy.

We have a station here in western South Dakota the sells the 2 1/2 gallon jugs for 9.99, so I fill the bus here and then buy again when ever we pass back through. We go through about 10 jugs a year.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote