Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2014, 12:47 PM   #29

I use a 5 gallon container for DEF while I fill up with diesel. It keeps me from moving the MH in a busy truck stop and is cheaper than the box containers of DEF.
tedandmaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2014, 12:56 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Been filling DEF at Flying J at the pumps. Price is quite low and dealing with it is easy. Only downside is to move the coach forward so the hose will reach. Fill about every third diesel fill.

No muss, no fuss, movin on.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:33 PM   #31

Quote:
I use a 5 gallon container for DEF while I fill up with diesel.
I also tried a 5 gallon container for DEF (a red one made for gasoline) but had a heck of a time transferring it into the DEF tank on the passenger side because of the goofy safety spout and its weight.

I was thinking about using a small all-plastic hand pump to transfer the DEF. Any input on that approach?
kamakalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:00 PM   #32
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Try this website Home - FiveStarDEF.com. He is a vendor on here and sells small 2.5 gallon containers with long snouts, with no safety devices to make pouring difficult. He also sells a magnetic collar for the container for the pumps that require one.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:41 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakalama View Post
I also tried a 5 gallon container for DEF (a red one made for gasoline) but had a heck of a time transferring it into the DEF tank on the passenger side because of the goofy safety spout and its weight.

I was thinking about using a small all-plastic hand pump to transfer the DEF. Any input on that approach?

Since DEF is non flammable nor toxic I see no reason that you couldn't use a small pump to transfer the substance to your larger tank.

Bruce & Teresa
40' 2000 Foretravel U320
Cummins M11 450hp
Allison HD4060R 6 Spd W/Retarder
ecurb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 05:20 PM   #34

The bottom line with DEF is the exhaust is cleaner that the air you walk down the street to breath. Seems like a fair trade off at $2.76 a gallon. For those that say they are using 1 fallon of DEF in 50 miles of driving , you need to schedule an appointment because thats way out of normal. DEF tanks are now on the drivers side of MH unless you have the side radiator and those whould be relocated by next year. It has to do with the distance to and from the injection points.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:53 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
I like DEF and LOVE the clean fuel economy. I use a 2.5 gallon jug ($12.00) every 1,500 miles.

I would choose newer, modern DEF diesel over an older non-DEF engine.

Cheers!
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:47 PM   #36
Commercial Member

Don- Thanks for the kind words, we appreciate it!

We've now sold over 100 of our jugs and spouts, and almost 75 of our DEF Magnevators (that make it possible to use the magnetic activated DEF nozzles) with many customers from iRV2. We've also sold almost 300 lb. of technical pure urea along with our mixing jugs and filter spouts for do it yourselfers who want to make their own DEF using distilled water. We appreciate the business very much.

Use care when selecting funnels and hand pumps to dispense DEF. DEF purity is important to the life of your Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) system. The catalyst can be damaged by impurities (like metallic ions and salts) that can be transferred from improper materials. Look for all polyethylene material, and wash the items with warm water and phosphate free detergent followed by rinsing well with distilled water. Keep them in sealed poly bags.

Our DEFJUGS make buying bulk DEF easy, and have been tested and certified for DEF purity. They carry the markings and instructions required by the international standards for DEF. They have even been drop tested from 6 feet to prove durability.

We recommend avoiding the red poly containers used for gasoline since the red dye used is not UV stable. Look for a translucent container that contains no dyes. Label it DEF with tape or a marker it can't be confused with water.

As always, please consider us a resource regarding DEF and don't hesitate to contact us with questions.

Regards,

Erich Weinberg
Five Star DEF LLC