Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2014, 08:24 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I also had a def problem on my 2012 Providence. Got some bad def from autozone which shut me down to 5 mph. Lucky I was in fort Walton beach where Freightliner was only Two miles away. They had to flush out the tank and change the def filter.

Not under warranty as no mechanical fault. I then learned how to read the date code and instructed them as well as some others how to read 1st two digits is lot, 3rd and 4th is year of manufacture plus 1, 5th, 6th, and 7th are how many days were left in calendar year.

Not a lot of stores even know DEF has one year shelf life nor how to store it nor how to read the code.

I don't travel that much but it seems I am always in for some type of maintenance when I'm low. I have the shop fill it.

No further DEF problems. Yet!

Rob
2012 Fleetwood Providence
2013 VW ON Dolly toad

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2014, 08:47 PM   #16

DEF troubles.

Well, thanks to Cummins' of Saginaw Michigan mobile unit, our motorhome is on the road again. Dan, the genius tech/mechanic, had to replace the DEF pump and the whole DEF system wiring harness. A seal in the DEF pump unit had leaked and DEF had shorted out the system. Then he had to fiddle with his laptop hooked up to the engine dataport to get all the faults sorted out. Took him about 6 hours. Really, really thankful for the wonderful job.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B

Old 10-16-2014, 11:41 AM   #17

Pictures:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1413477645.724941.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	493.1 KB
ID:	76692Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1413477663.327456.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	737.2 KB
ID:	76693

Old 10-22-2014, 08:54 AM   #18

DEF troubles.

Update,

Well the motorhome took a total puke and died 5 hours into a 22 hour trip. Dreaded red check engine light appeared after 5 hours of amber check engine light. Clogged up diesel particulate filter because of failure of the def heater and relay, again. Got it fixed enough to get back home. Made our hunting trip to ND in a truck and a minivan. Now in talks with dealer and Fleetwood for a replacement motorhome. Enough is enough. Motorhome is about a year and a half old.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmweb View Post
Well, thanks to Cummins' of Saginaw Michigan mobile unit, our motorhome is on the road again. Dan, the genius tech/mechanic, had to replace the DEF pump and the whole DEF system wiring harness. A seal in the DEF pump unit had leaked and DEF had shorted out the system. Then he had to fiddle with his laptop hooked up to the engine dataport to get all the faults sorted out. Took him about 6 hours. Really, really thankful for the wonderful job.

Took it for a test drive, half hour, after repair and it worked fine.

Then started our trip and, ....

Old 10-28-2014, 10:46 AM   #20

DEF troubles.

This is therapy. May keep me from going to jail! I want to drive it through the dealership's front door.

Loaded up and committed to head out. 6 guys, 5 dogs, headed to North Dakota to pheasant hunt. Friday morning I start up mh and bing, the dreaded check engine light comes back on and all of the codes return. Well we have to go. 5 hours into our trip the engine begins to de-power/derate, barely make it to a diesel repair shop in Marquette MI. They worked on it for 2.5 hrs and got some codes to drop. It ran better, regular power. They couldn't resolve the problem. Still showing amber check engine and several codes. Related to an open circuit and or high voltage in the def heater and it's relay. Changed the relay, no difference. Didn't want to get stranded out in the bushes so we decide to head home and load up our trucks. We lost a day of our trip.

One week later I return home, call up freightliner to see if anything can be done. This am I turn on the ignition, down to one code. Turn it off, and the a few minutes later on again and no codes! What the Hell! FReightliner tech thinks the heater may be faulty because of the original short and when the temperature drops the problem will return.

Going to the dealer this weekend to see about getting rid of this pos. Update later.

BTW we did really well pheasant hunting! And, our 1990 Chevy Subrban buhrd mobile that we keep out west ran great. We only use it once a year.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:48 AM   #21

All the new emission crap and their failures reminds me of how weak and unreliable autos were before the engineers figured it out. I hope they can eventually make diesels dependable again.

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:16 PM   #22

Not sure what those codes are but it could be as simple as the cap was off so no pressure/vacuum was sensed and it thru a code (gas caps in cars do this).
Old 10-30-2014, 06:12 PM   #23

Zman,
No, the pump leaked into the wiring harness and shorted everything out. That was replaced by a Cummins tech. The diesel mechanics in Marquette said two things:

1. There was an open circuit/broken connection between the def heater and it's relay.
2. That the ECM software was about 14 or more updates behind.

And C, the two were probably related.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:47 AM   #24

Rexhall Owners Group
What, in Heaven's name is DEF?
Old 10-31-2014, 02:45 PM   #25

Diesel Exhaust Fluid.

A relatively new antipollution system for diesel vehicles. A urea solution, def, is squirted into the exhaust and helps to burn the soot. Kind of like a catalytic converter. Started in Europe. Very sensitive, and seems to me, quite finicky method. Some buy mh's that are older and do not have this system to avoid the problems. I really knew nothing about it until we bought this rig. Kind of a guinea pig.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:59 PM   #26

Love them or hate them DEF is here to stay and they produce "0" thats a zero polution to the air. The exhaust from a DEF engine is more pure than the air we walk around and breath. Sorry you had a bad situation with the system, but there are 10's of thousands of them on the road with very few problems. Sounds like you have numerous issues with your coach and hope that works out for you.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:40 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
Love them or hate them DEF is here to stay and they produce "0" thats a zero polution to the air. The exhaust from a DEF engine is more pure than the air we walk around and breath. Sorry you had a bad situation with the system, but there are 10's of thousands of them on the road with very few problems. Sounds like you have numerous issues with your coach and hope that works out for you.
Great, but once you have had the luxury of having your rig slow to a crawl in middle of nowhere you will understand. It isn't if with these systems it's when!
Old 11-01-2014, 07:46 AM   #28

Scarpa, ah yup.