Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2015, 05:31 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Definitive proof: don't trust old tires!

Much ado is made about tire age. Last weekend I learned, the EASY way oddly enough, that tires do indeed turn to junk just doing nothing...

This is our Party Cruiser:

It's a 1995, and so are the 6 Goodyear Marathon's on the trailer. At 20 years old, the tires look like new. They should, as they have less than 2500 miles on them. Here's a pic, and other than they're filthy, they have great tread, and while not entirely visible in this cellphone pic, the sidewalls aren't all cracked up...

This boat has been parked for 8 years (long story) and only moves when I need to do something to it. A few weeks ago I bought a new lower unit for the outboard motor, and aired up the tires before moving the thing around the harbor to do repairs. We moved it about 100 yards to a parking spot, then about 30 yards to where we pulled the outboard powerhead, then 30 yards back again. That's all the miles these tires have gone in 5 years...

So last week we go on vacation (in our Allegro, pulling our Chaparral) and we left from the harbor. Before pulling out, I did a quick check of all our stuff, and everything was in order.

So we get back Sunday evening around 6:30. I park the Chaparral, did a quick check before heading home, and...

Here's the rest of the above picture...

--and a closeup

Wow--ever had a complete tire-failure blowout while PARKED? Sheesh!!

I would've had NO qualms about pulling the boat down the highway on those tires! Never seen a tire do anything like that just sitting still! I only put 45 psi in 'em...

I'll take it as very lucky I didn't learn this lesson while on the road!

DON'T TRUST OLD TIRES!

and now I have to save up for SEVEN new tires, as I assume I better not trust the never-used spare tire...
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2015, 05:37 PM   #2

20 year old tires? Long overdue for recycling. Glad you found the problem when you did.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:21 PM   #3

Yes sometimes we are just fortunate. Last year the infamous #60-650 Trimark door lock failed on my coach, locking me inside, with no tools. But I was in my driveway at home .

My father has an old two axle trailer back in Nebraska that has to be 50 years old, and I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't have some of the original tires on that. It gets used about 2 times a year to haul his tractor a few miles to mow. Last year I had to use that trailer for a last second trip of 200 miles and I was so nervous about it, but it worked fine and I was very relieved.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:16 PM   #4

Maxxis tires would look good on that trailer. Goodyear trailer tires back in 1995-200? were recalled. Of course, 20 year old tires - you got your $$ worth.
JumboJet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:20 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Isn't there an expression - Use it or lose it? Glad to see that your failure didn't cause any problems.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:21 PM   #6

Was under my coach by the rear axle drivers side. The inside tire on the passengers side blew out the side wall. It was sitting still on the levers. After I changed my underwear I called road service.
AtriumRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:21 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
I learned a couple lessons about old tires. I had one blow on the rear of my class C 5 miles from home at the beginning of a trip. Tore out all the rig wiring and cracked a propane line. Next in my class A, blew a rear and left the exhaust on hwy 5. Had a Bud do $40,000 damage on his Beaver on a K rail after a front flat and another totaled a Revolution after a blow out in the mid west. Our 07 has new tires!

Tags
roof, rust, tires