Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2009, 06:43 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
DEKA Batteries

I need new house batteries...6 volt. A dealer is trying to tell me Deka is the way to go over Trojans. Has anyone had any experience with this brand or know how they might compare to the Trojans? I now have the golf cart batts from Sams and don't want to go there again due to poor performance.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2009, 07:31 PM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Over the years I have used DEKA batteries in my vehicles and have had no issues.
Comparing the 6 volt to Trojans I cannot help, have never used 6 volt only 12 volt

I know the local auto parts store carried them for years and changed to another brand and is now back with DEKA the other had major problems
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:13 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I was in the auto parts business for over 30 years....DEKA makes a great product!!! Don't hesitate to use them....
teofff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:07 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a pair of MK AGM's in my house (Same manufacturer as DEKA, East Penn battery)

I'm happy

I also have (on a seperate circuit) a pair of Intersate U-2200's Happy there too

I would suggest Johnson Control manufactured batteries from either Sam's or Costco, the brand names may vary but those should all be close to the Interstates.

Life is about 80% of Trojan's. Price less than half
Old 06-02-2009, 10:12 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks, but if you had batteries which lasted only 2.5 yrs and three of 'em failed early on, what would YOU do? I'm thinking I don't need to repeat history here, so why not change?

Now I find out the Trojans won't fit because they are about 1/4 in. too long for my battery tray. No way to tweak the tray size to make them work. So now I'm out looking for something else. Maybe I need to bite the bullet and go with Lifeline AGM's or a Crown wet cell battery. Trouble is...I don't know much about Crown, yet I hear they are an industrial type battery with the largest plates in the industry. EVERYONE seems to say that........
Old 06-03-2009, 08:03 AM   #6

If you can afford them, Lifelines are the way to go, IMO I would careflully check the size as I fell they wil be about the same as Trojans. I went with the 12V Lifelines and had to modify the battery box.

Bob
BobGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:09 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Battery case sizes are standardized - one manufacturers GC1 (golf cart battery) size will be the same as another's. If one won't fit in your battery tray, you need a different size battery, not a different manufacturer.

DEKA is the house brand for East Penn Manufacturing, a major battery maker. Literally hundreds of other brand names are also produced by East Penn and you probably have used them in the past. They are decent batteries but not great ones. The Deka 6v gold cart battery is ok, but the their 12v AGM is only so-so and lower capacity than a similar Trojan or Lifeline.

If you want 12v AGM, go with Lifeline or maybe Trojan AGM. If you want 6v golf carts, go with Trojan or Interstate.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:04 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I missed where the O/P said his original batteries died young.

If your batteries are

1: Properly maintained (if flooded wet cells you check and add distilled water as needed) and 2: Die young

Suspect your converter, post it's make and model and let the experts here comment upon it.

Of course, since I don't know your converter's make and model. That's all I can say at this time.

My Rig came with a Progressive Dynamics 9180 + Charge Wizard and a pair of now 4 year old Interstate U-2200's Still going strong, I"ve added water 4 times. Once a year.. That's all they have needed.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:49 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Well, I said I had Sams batts, but actually they are U2200's. I regard them as basically the same animal, since specs and appearance are the same as far as can be determined. From day one I've experienced a rapid draw down under use and shortly after Interstate did replace two of them under warranty. Still, they haven't performed like some Trojans I had in another coach.

I have two Magnum 2000 inverter/chargers and monitor fluid levels weekly. These batts didn't need water for a good year, then went downhill even more rapidly, getting very thirsty. I have a hard time believeing it's the inverter being a problem, since BOTH of them would have to go bad at the same time.

As for battery box sizing, not ALL are the same....really! If you look at the lengths of Trojan 105's and the Crown/Interstate/Sams, etc.....you'll see the former is 10-3/8 in. long while the others are 10-1/4 in. Since my tray is 20.5 in., there's no way two Trojans will fit in that opening, but the others will. And you can't get the same capacity in a 12 v. box and still fit them in the tray....unless you're better at math than I am!
Old 06-03-2009, 11:04 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGuy View Post
If you can afford them, Lifelines are the way to go, IMO I would careflully check the size as I fell they wil be about the same as Trojans. I went with the 12V Lifelines and had to modify the battery box.

Bob
agm batteries can be installed on their sides or even upside down for clearance due to their design. they will not spill or gas excessively.
i have 2ea 300 ah 6v lifeline agm batteries mounted on their sides in my stairwell battery box. this installation gave me 60% more capacity in the same space.
lifelines are more expensive, but last at least 10 years. the per year cost is comparable and i get the benefit of more capacity and never having to add water. i got mine from bd batteries online.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:18 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
As for battery box sizing, not ALL are the same....really! If you look at the lengths of Trojan 105's and the Crown/Interstate/Sams, etc.....you'll see the former is 10-3/8 in. long while the others are 10-1/4 in. Since my tray is 20.5 in., there's no way two Trojans will fit in that opening, but the others will.
I didn't say all 6V batteries are the same. I said two batteries of the same BCI standard case size should have identical dimensions, but in fact the BCI battery standard sets only a maximum dimension. Trojan T105's are size GC2H, which the BCI standard says can be up to 10-3/8L x 7-3/16W x 11-5/8H. Apparently Interstate has chosen to be slightly under the standard size and your coach manufacturer matched that size rather than the BCI standard. Of well, nobody ever said RV manufacturers design things to be maintainable. Or standard. Bummer!

BCI Standard Battery Case Sizes: http://www.rtpnet.org/teaa/bcigroup.html
Old 06-05-2009, 09:44 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Understand, Gary. I, too find it surprising the tray mfr. didn't size it for the 10-3/8 size, since Trojans are such a staple of our industry. Bet your American Coach came with them, didn't it? I had them in my Providence and they wouldn't quit. So I really wanted Trojans, but I've decided to pick up some Crown CR225 batts. when I get to Flagstaff. I'm hoping they'll perform as well as Trojan.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:57 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Bet your American Coach came with them, didn't it?
Actually it came with 12v AGMs, a private label battery that was made by East Penn and probably the same as the DEKAs. I replaced them with Trojan 12v Group 31 AGMs last year after two of the originals failed. I'll be happy if these give me 3/4 of the life of a T105!

American Coach used 6v Trojans up to 2003, though.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:24 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
my lifeline 6v gpl6t 300ah batteries are 10.22" x 7.06" x 12.65"
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote