Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2006, 05:02 AM   #1

I finally have some delamination in my MH. It is about a foot wide and 2-3 feet high behind the rear main awning support. I've read some about de-lam in the past, but never had to deal with it.

Is it usually caused by water leakage? If the leak is sealed will it continue to get worse?

I have two rolls of EternaBond tape to seal the roof edge, but the awning channel is right at the edge joint, so I'm not sure how well it will do the job. Do I place the lower edge of the EternaBond in the channel? What do I do where the upper support brackets cross the channel? I've seen the post and pictures on the taping, but can't tell the detail that well. I do understand the tape requires a pretty flat surface to seal properly.

I believe there is a procedure where I can slit the sidewall and inject a glue to reseal the de-lam section. Is this a DIY procedure, or does it require a pro? If DIY, what kind of glue? What kind of injector?

HELP!!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2006, 05:02 AM   #2

I finally have some delamination in my MH. It is about a foot wide and 2-3 feet high behind the rear main awning support. I've read some about de-lam in the past, but never had to deal with it.

Is it usually caused by water leakage? If the leak is sealed will it continue to get worse?

I have two rolls of EternaBond tape to seal the roof edge, but the awning channel is right at the edge joint, so I'm not sure how well it will do the job. Do I place the lower edge of the EternaBond in the channel? What do I do where the upper support brackets cross the channel? I've seen the post and pictures on the taping, but can't tell the detail that well. I do understand the tape requires a pretty flat surface to seal properly.

I believe there is a procedure where I can slit the sidewall and inject a glue to reseal the de-lam section. Is this a DIY procedure, or does it require a pro? If DIY, what kind of glue? What kind of injector?

HELP!!!!
Old 05-21-2006, 05:25 AM   #3

Ken--
The pros fix it from the inside out and
never slit or cut into the outer skin.
They gut the inner wall clear to the outer
skin layer and install spacer rails so the
sidewall is smooth(er) like this (HHH) in the
framework underneath. They then use "The West
System" glue (same as for boat building) and
press on the outside exterior wall side with
hydraulic jack(s) to push in and flatten the
sidewall skin to the inner framework.

The cost is huge, same as having Winnie replace
the entire sidewall, and it is NOT a lasting
repair, no warranty. We were faced with it and
traded the rig off at a big lo$$...

Allison transmisson
Steady Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 06:55 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We had a 1989 Pace Arrow that had severe delamination. Fleetwood replace one side wall and later we had to have bothe redone. It is very expensive to repair.

Nearly all delamination is caused by water intrusion. You have to top the water leak first and often the are will still spread. The problem is you do not know to what extend the wall is damamaged internally.

My best thoughts on it is to sell it while it still has some value.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 02:43 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I bought a 96 Southwind with some modest delamination and used it two years without any change. Fleetwood had some delam problems in the early 90's and so did other manufacturers, though toa lesser extent. Glue failure is the reason for delam, and it can be a factory defect, but it is usually caused by water intrusion. Water can get in around the roof seams, window frames, or any of the "holes" through the roof (vents, a/c, etc) and then run some distance down and into a wall.

Yes, slitting the skin and re-gluing is a common means of repair. Especially if the skin has stretched some after loosening and you have to trim it down a bit to get it flat again. Much less expensive than the interior method, but requires more skin repair. This can also be expensive if you insist on an invisible job - you might have to repaint most or all of the sidewall. But with a bit of care you can make a pretty decent spot repair and blend it in.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote