Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2014, 06:22 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Delamination project

I have a 2000 Itasca Suncruiser, It a appears the sky light in the bathroom over the shower has leak at sometime before I purchased it, the leak is fixed. As a result of the leak water ran down the wall and I suspect caused the luan to pull lose for the outside fiberglass skin causing a large bubble which is right behind the shower. I am going to remove the shower unit and take the wall apart. I good with my hands and do construction work so Im good with frame work. I hope to be able to rebuild the wall from the inside of the bathroom working inward. Not sure on the types of glues to use. Would really like to talk to someone who has done this in the past. Suggestion of any type would be helpful other then taking it to a repair shop just cant afford their prices.

Thanks
Thurman

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2014, 06:29 AM   #2

homeless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:56 AM   #3

Take a look at some boat forums. Tons of first hand information on those about repairing delamination. I believe there are some 2 part epoxies for that. Gorilla glue is great stuff but I am not skilled enough to imagine I could use it in that situation and not cause more issues due to its massive expansion when it sets.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:15 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Take a look at this web site. I've used it on boats already and it does work. It's very thin and does run every place. I wouldn't use Gorilla glue. Maybe work try Liquid Nail.

BoatLIFE GIT-Rot

Bob
Old 01-29-2014, 02:28 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Retired boat yard owner operator here. You will need some form of clamping to insure pressure to assist in your bonding of exterior to new interior. Your choice of interior material is a guess? Most manufacturers use lauan. I would use a pressure treated ply. Especially in a small area if your area is restricted. Without hesitation use West epoxy available on line or from West marine. Area prep is essential.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:00 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
boats are not RV's

Boat delamination is different than RV's in that boats use balsa as a core and rvs use a thin sheet of luan. to effectively repair the rv I would suggest removal of the inner wall and replace the foam and rotted plywood with a product called divinycell. this foam product works well with most two part epoxy chemicals and would provide the strong bond required. many newer boat manufacturers use this in the production over the less expensive balsa. balsa rots and causes delaminations.

When repair to the wall of a the RV you might want to plan on compressing the two halves of the sandwich together. one way would be to drill few holes through both sides and bolt 2x4 to each side and tighten them together.

one problem you will face is the fact that the fiberglass that faces the inside will most likely have to be "de-waxed" before repair, as part of the curing of the chemicals often produces a wax like substance on the surface.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
Retired boat yard owner operator here. You will need some form of clamping to insure pressure to assist in your bonding of exterior to new interior. Your choice of interior material is a guess? Most manufacturers use lauan. I would use a pressure treated ply. Especially in a small area if your area is restricted. Without hesitation use West epoxy available on line or from West marine. Area prep is essential.
Good advice
Old 01-30-2014, 07:49 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
Boat delamination is different than RV's in that boats use balsa as a core and rvs use a thin sheet of luan. to effectively repair the rv I would suggest removal of the inner wall and replace the foam and rotted plywood with a product called divinycell. this foam product works well with most two part epoxy chemicals and would provide the strong bond required. many newer boat manufacturers use this in the production over the less expensive balsa. balsa rots and causes delaminations.

When repair to the wall of a the RV you might want to plan on compressing the two halves of the sandwich together. one way would be to drill few holes through both sides and bolt 2x4 to each side and tighten them together.

one problem you will face is the fact that the fiberglass that faces the inside will most likely have to be "de-waxed" before repair, as part of the curing of the chemicals often produces a wax like substance on the surface.
There are several manufacturers that use "balsa" decking, decking only! You may find some past manufactures of racing sailboats that used the vacuum foam lamination process, I had one a Nelson Merrick 45. The Divinycell is a newer version of closed cell urethane foam. A good product. If you'll note my suggestion for use of PT laminate was for a restricted area. PT is treated to prevent rot. If your product is subject to rot after repair you have not done a good job! The Gudgeon Bros. Now West system two part epoxy is far superior to any product on the market. The mechanical bonding capacity is far and above other similar products. It has a slow cure time, one of the disadvantages. Just trying to help the OP not trying to stir up a fuss, to many on the forum lately! OP your clamping system is imperative to a good bond. This will take some imagination on your part. Using the search engine for this forum will offer some ideas as others have had similar issues. Using inexpensive acetone will prep your exterior and interior surfaces, coupled with light to moderate sanding, best of luck!

Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote