Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2013, 10:06 PM   #1

Delamination Repair worth it?

Ive got a 1992 Damon Challenger DP. Ive got about $15000 in it and much Ive repaired and renovated. I love this thing and have enjoyed it however it does have some delamination mainly under fridge vent. I have 81k miles on it. Has anyone repaired on a rig of this age? If so how much? Im thinking of resale and it may be worth more with it repaired. Obviously it didn't scare me but I know water damage is very serious. Yes I have a new roof coat and etherbond and AC with gasket and have no more issues. You can see the swelling in the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	motorhome4.JPG
Views:	273
Size:	533.6 KB
ID:	32798  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2013, 03:22 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
The repair to the delamination will not be cost effective on the price you may get out of the coach. However, it make make it easier to sell without the delamination.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:54 AM   #3

Agree ... although you may get a few more potential buyers you won't get more money for the coach.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #4

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:16 AM   #5

if you can do it yourself...i did see a repair that was just cut out and removed and glued back it after repair and used the panel seals and it looked very good and could not tell much ...i know on mine i have a 18" part that is craked and spidered but not delaminated and i am going to sand in and reglass and paint myself..then slowly sand the spiders out and repaint whole coach...jeff
Old 01-31-2013, 10:30 AM   #6

If it can be pushed back in one may be able to inject epoxy in, via hole from back or inside, then press wood to hold until cured, i think there is a post where someone did that, parked next to a building and wedged wood to the building
Old 01-31-2013, 11:03 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
If it can be pushed back in one may be able to inject epoxy in, via hole from back or inside, then press wood to hold until cured, i think there is a post where someone did that, parked next to a building and wedged wood to the building
This method may work. The issue is, if the wood, most commonly luan, that is the surface the fiberglass is bonded to, if rotten the epoxy will obviously not adhere.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:09 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies. I talked to a guy here in the nashville area that can give me an estimate on the injection method. I will keep you posted.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:21 PM   #9

The estimate for me from Winnie was $14,000 per side, essentially replacing two sides. Several shops told me "no way to repair that would last." I traded and took a $20,000 hit on a coach worth $50,000.

If I were in the position again, I would use bolts, washers, and nuts and put bolts clean thru the sides, big washers on each end, and tighten securely. Might not be beautiful, but it would work. As many as it needed. Then I would drive it until it fell apart from other problems.

Just my opinion.

GL Arnold
Old 01-31-2013, 06:53 PM   #10

This requies a lot of epoxy, it needs to flow into the wood, and cover the whole area, so hole at one end for "epoxy in" and another hole at the other end for "epoxy out".

Use compressed air to be sure air flows out the opposite hole.

May need to add support from inside to be sure gap is closed.

Make dry runs to be sure you can support the wood squeezing the side, and make sure you can get it flat, if the sub-layers are bulged out you may be out of luck.

If you can get it flat then inject epoxy until it flows out opposite hole, clamp and pray.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:06 PM   #11

When I had a small area of delam I drilled a few tiny holes and injected West Marine Epoxy - I kept the area under pressure for about 48hr and unless I point out the spot you would never be able to identify that work was performed. I covered the tiny holes with matching finger nail polish.

I don't see much downside in trying to fix the problem yourself - taking to a pro is expensive and may not give you return on your investment when you sale.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:57 PM   #12

Yea I mean its a 92 so Im not scared to try some things like west marine epoxy. If it could just help a little I would be happy. Thanks for input I will look at their site.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
I feel as you do. I love my 2001 Georgetown and it is all I will ever need or want. Myself, I learned to do it myself. I did a section on mine, but learned the hard way about epoxy and glue. No big deal, I intend to redo it properly soon. Not expensive, just time consuming. Having it done is cost prohibitive. learn and do yourself and your MH will be all you ever need. P.S. don't patch and inject, do it right.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #14

Please advise how you different it

Tags
repair