Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2016, 11:23 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Sherman RV Tiffin Motorhomes Mississippi Allegro Bus for Sale | Sherman RV is located approximately 60 miles from Red Bay. I have read many posts on the Tiffin forum that they are a very reputable dealer who's pricing is hard to beat.

This would be the next best thing to a factory delivery, and in case the coach needs some factory warranty, you're very close to Red Bay.
Thanks for reminding me of them! I had heard about them before but then totally forgot.

I'll probably ask them for a quote before I sign on the dotted line, just in case, (Mod Edit)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2016, 09:29 PM   #16

The drivers that deliver Tiffin's from the factory to the first dealer locations that I am familiar with are usually retired Tiffin employees. Those that I have talked to usually travel with a spouse or significant other and use it as a part time job to supplement their retirement, and a way to get an employer paid trip to some location in the country. I believe dealerships contract with a company to furnish a driver to move a coach from one location to another. I don't believe these drives work directly for the corporate dealership or individual dealerships

Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dphaynes View Post
So I'm buying a Tiffin 40AH. I can go with whichever dealer offers the best price...except...are there any issues with the number/type of break-in miles put on the RV during delivery?

For example, if I buy it in Michigan it's only about 750 miles from Red Bay, and some hilly stuff but nothing too intense.

If I buy it in Missoula, MT then it's 2,000 miles and they have to cross several high mountain passes with steep grades and a very long stretch that will almost certainly have strong headwinds. I assume the delivery folks tow a car?

Is it worth factoring that into the purchasing decision?
Find the best price and just pick it up yourself? that, might be an option.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 11:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Find the best price and just pick it up yourself? that, might be an option.
The one dealer I asked said they don't allow dealer delivery. I'm assuming that's because they don't have the facilities/people to do setup and delivery.

But they could trust meeeeee....
Old 06-27-2016, 01:08 AM   #19

Can't say it's industry wide but a family member delivers new 5th wheels around the US. He works for a private company and not the dealer nor factory.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:46 AM   #20

My excursion had 1500 miles or something like that when I took delivery from the dealer. The warranty clock started from that point.

I made a few posts here about it when I bought it a year ago in January and it didn't seem unusually high from the responses.

As I recall, the unit was a 2014 leftover that kept getting bounced back and forth between couple of different dealerships and various RV shows.

Very few MH problems would be related to a few thousand miles one way or the other. Most issues are age and wear related. So as long as you make sure your delivery sheet shows the correct milage when you accept it (for warranty purposes) you'll be fine
Old 06-27-2016, 12:01 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dphaynes View Post
Factoring it in just because I'm completely ignorant of RV chassis and engine characteristics. I don't even know if commercial engines/transmissions even require a break-in period.

My understanding is that Tiffin doesn't do factory delivery, but I only asked one sales guy about it. That would be my preference, to go down to Red Bay and watch the build, then drive it to the dealer to get the accessories installed.

That sucks about them 'borrowing' yours for a side trip. I saw one on a dealer lot that had recently been delivered and clearly someone had slept on the bed during the delivery drive. That would annoy me. Then again, turquoise blue and houses made from "gluten free bricks" annoy me too...
I have read a few times where today's engines don't need breaking in. Have even heard some say to drive em hard to weed out problems and make em tough.

Personally however, i still like to break in new vehicles similar to how we did some 20 or 30 years ago. That includes varying my speed, not stomping the accelerator and brake pedals to the floor, and not speeding along at 80 mph. Like you, i doubt a delivery driver does much thinking about any of this.

I would imagine that most rigs don't show many problems after delivery miles are put on them but at the same time, i'd say there's a better chance problems will surface sooner on a rig that was delivered haphazardly.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:26 PM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
And if I remember correctly, I think every Cummins engine is "run in" on a dyno at the factory.
True and each Cummins owned shop does it when they do a major engine repair so it's ready to hit the road even though it's still too tight to give good fuel mileage. I think that's where some of the damage Cummins NW did to ours happened!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:27 PM   #23
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thread Warning

Several Posts have been edited or removed for one of many Community Rules Violations.

Any future posts in violation of the CR's will be met with immediate removal.

Thanks to those who cooperate.

iRV2 Staff
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:04 AM   #24

Be sure to ask each dealer if there is an added charge for long distance delivery. Most motorhome manufacturers have a set delivery fee within a certain mileage range. Outside the range they add extra for fuel and time.

In some cases private citizens actually pay to drive the motorhome from the factory to the final destination. Case and point is the delivery of Winnebago motorhomes to Anchorage Alaska. Great Alaskan Holidays recruits individuals and couples wanting to vacation in Alaska.

https://www.greatalaskanholidays.com...nture-package/

They pay a $949.00 fee to drive a new motorhome from either Iowa or Indiana to Alaska. Once they get to Anchorage they are responsible for finding their own way home.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:45 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
Be sure to ask each dealer if there is an added charge for long distance delivery. Most motorhome manufacturers have a set delivery fee within a certain mileage range. Outside the range they add extra for fuel and time.

In some cases private citizens actually pay to drive the motorhome from the factory to the final destination. Case and point is the delivery of Winnebago motorhomes to Anchorage Alaska. Great Alaskan Holidays recruits individuals and couples wanting to vacation in Alaska.

https://www.greatalaskanholidays.com...nture-package/

They pay a $949.00 fee to drive a new motorhome from either Iowa or Indiana to Alaska. Once they get to Anchorage they are responsible for finding their own way home.
I'm not sure I'd like that! What if they take a "Hey, I'm paying for this..." attitude?

I've decided to go with the middle-route and get it from the dealer in Wisconsin (assuming we reach agreement on accessories). There were a lot of good/significant reasons for choosing them, but it also helps that it's sort of half-way on the mileage, less than 1,000 miles from Red Bay and no major mountain passes/long windy stretches.

I'll get to do those miles in October when I take it over to Oregon to get the solar panels installed...so watch, *I'll* be the idiot that does something stupid in the first 2,000 miles and I'll wish I could have blamed the delivery driver!
Old 07-01-2016, 10:56 AM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
One advantage of having the coach delivered to your local dealer is mileage. If you live two thousand miles from the factory, you warranty starts at the mileage on the coach at the time of delivery. You save two thousand miles of your warranty.