Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2014, 04:01 PM   #1

Rexhall Owners Group
Smile demand water pump

RV is parked beside house. Went to turn on water in bathroom to use facility. Turned on pump, could hear pump working. When I turned on the faucet, water came out with good pressure and flow at first. Almost immediately flow and pressure went down to nothing. Then water would come out but at very little pressure or flow. Turned faucet off, pump still running and in a few seconds turned faucet on and the same thing. Holding tank is 3/4 full so I have water. Do I have to let pump run until it stops before using? Am I going to have to replace the pump? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2014, 05:41 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
First check that valve that switches between water tank and city water is fully set properly. Next, remove aerators to faucet and clean out. The water pump, when turned on, runs until a preset pressure shuts it down. When everything is working the way it should, pump should shut off seconds after shutting off faucet. If it comes on in a while, or continues to run, it's either leaking somewhere to reduce pressure (look underneath for wet spots) or could be a bad check valve in pump allowing water to leak back to the tank.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:04 AM   #3

I found my system doesn't like to have air in it. Not sure if it would help to bleed all the faucets including the outside shower, etc.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:44 AM   #4

Most RV water pumps have a strainer or filter on them. If it gets clogged it will act the same way as you described. (Picture is from Internet)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pump (1).gif
Views:	574
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	81542  
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:57 AM   #5

With water pump turned on, it should run until pressure is built up, then it should shut off and stay shut off until you open a faucet or flush the stool.

From your note, it sounds like either the pump is still filling the system (e.g. water heater, big on board water filters, etc.) prior to shutting off, OR, it's not getting a good supply of water to allow it to pump properly - for whatever reason. Clogged trash filter and selector valves set incorrectly the most common issues there.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:36 AM   #6

Rexhall Owners Group
Thumbs up

Great suggestions. I will attempt the repair tomorrow. Follow up to come.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:24 AM   #7

Rexhall Owners Group
Well, I had some time to look at the situation. Had supply lever in each position. turned on pump, ran for maybe 5-6 seconds then stopped. Opened faucet got about 3 seconds of water. then nothing. Turned lever to other setting and got the same results. Cannot get to the filter right now but that is the only element left to check. I have done all the other checks you suggest. If it is NOT the filter, am I going to need a new pump?
Old 12-21-2014, 11:32 AM   #8

See if I'm following you correctly?

You turn the pump on, it runs, then stops, telling you that the system is pressurized. Right?

At that point, you turn the water on, get 3 seconds of water, then nothing. Did the pump kick back on as soon as you opened the faucet? Did it remain on while the water was flowing? Did it stay running once the faucet was closed? If it stayed on after closing the faucet, did it eventually shut off by itself? If that's the case, and you left the pmp turned on for a period of time, does it stay off, or does it kick back on once in a while, all by itself, with out a faucet being turned on?
Old 12-21-2014, 06:52 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Mick327,
Based on your two posts, if this happens at all the faucets and the pump shuts off when all faucets are closed (allow a few seconds to build pressure) there are possibilities:
1. an obstruction
2. clogged filter (just another kind of obstruction)
3. replace the pump
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:04 AM   #10

Rexhall Owners Group
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
See if I'm following you correctly?

You turn the pump on, it runs, then stops, telling you that the system is pressurized. Right?

At that point, you turn the water on, get 3 seconds of water, then nothing. Did the pump kick back on as soon as you opened the faucet? Did it remain on while the water was flowing? Did it stay running once the faucet was closed? If it stayed on after closing the faucet, did it eventually shut off by itself? If that's the case, and you left the pmp turned on for a period of time, does it stay off, or does it kick back on once in a while, all by itself, with out a faucet being turned on?
Your first sentence is correct. The pump kicked back on when I opened the faucet, it remained on while the water was flowing. When I closed the faucet the pump shut off a couple of seconds later. It DOES NOT kick back on by itself. Aside from the scenario I mentioned it operates like a normal pump as far as I know. I tried both the bathroom faucet and kitchen faucet as well as the toilet and the results are the same. I have not tried to check the pump filter yet due to some back issues. I am really hoping that is the problem. Do I have to remove the pump to change the filter? Thank you and everyone else for your excellent suggestions.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:07 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Typically the strainer between the tank and the pump can be cleaned without disturbing the pump. I'm puzzled at your description of working properly until it goes off when water flow stops but won't restart. How do you start it again? Do you have to turn on the pump switch? That's not the norm and I'm puzzled as to what causes the problem. If you hook up a jumper wire to the pump, see if the pump works as it should.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:54 AM   #12

Sorry, still not following. Puzzled as well.

First you say "Opened faucet got about 3 seconds of water. then nothing." That's not good.

Then you say "The pump kicked back on when I opened the faucet, it remained on while the water was flowing. When I closed the faucet the pump shut off a couple of seconds later." which sounds like it's working correctly.

Can we revisit what you're having difficulty with please?

Tags
water, water pump