Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2016, 12:46 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post

"LETMGROW".....from your description, you weren't RVing, just flipping RV's.
Flipping RV's? I hardly think so. Take a look at the time span I used some of these before selling or trading them. We spent 18 years with permanent sites in a campground 23 miles from my home. The rest of the time when we had RV's we were weekenders the same as we are now.
The point I was making is if you don't want to suffer from depreciation you should buy with knowledge of what the actual value is and will be in the future.
Not everyone is willing to do that or even wants to. You know going in you aren't going to make money or breakeven if you buy new. That is anyone's choice. I'm not faulting anyone for that.
I have two John Deere tractors I bought new. One in 2007 and another in 2012. I will have some depreciation when I sell or trade them but the brand itself holds it's value better than most and I will lose less when I trade or sell them than with most other brands. I did a lot of research before I made my choices.
Lynn

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2016, 01:03 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Flipping RV's? I hardly think so. Take a look at the time span I used some of these before selling or trading them. We spent 18 years with permanent sites in a campground 23 miles from my home. The rest of the time when we had RV's we were weekenders the same as we are now.
The point I was making is if you don't want to suffer from depreciation you should buy with knowledge of what the actual value is and will be in the future.
Not everyone is willing to do that or even wants to. You know going in you aren't going to make money or breakeven if you buy new. That is anyone's choice. I'm not faulting anyone for that.
I have two John Deere tractors I bought new. One in 2007 and another in 2012. I will have some depreciation when I sell or trade them but the brand itself holds it's value better than most and I will lose less when I trade or sell them than with most other brands. I did a lot of research before I made my choices.
Lynn
I don't about that depreciation on the John Deere. A mid 1960's 4020 will sell for more now than it did new.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:39 AM   #31
dcmrblueridge.com

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for all the great replies.
Diane and I are now stick (brick) houseless. We closed on the sale of it this last Thursday.
We have been living in our coach full time since Christmas but now it feels more like home than ever...because it is the only one we have! I have a lot more "appreciation" for this coach now too. Looking forward to a lot of happy travels, seeing new sites, and more importantly being with friends and making new ones.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:38 AM   #32
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Great post Gramps!

As far as I'm concerned, depreciation is only germane when talking about the first type of "investment" mentioned earlier, an expenditure made with the hope you'll make money directly from the holding of and eventual resale of that asset or that it will become a productive part of some other business endeavor increasing profits over what they may have been otherwise.

When it comes to quality of life or "fun", we each have to wrestle at the intersection of what we want and what we can afford. To generalize, I find those that speak of depreciation as an evil that must be avoided will either be leaving their heirs a large inheritance or are not realistically in a financial position to allow for the purchase anyway. Regardless, whether in a multi million dollar bus conversion or the most modest popup, we all have access to the same highways, public parks and even tourist traps. If we could not afford our coach we'd be doing the same thing, just on a smaller (cost wise) scale.

We worked many long years toward our goal of being able to enjoy the full time life on wheels to the level of comfort we do. When purchasing our new coach my biggest concern was that we always have equity in it, just in case something happens to me, Peggy will be able to sell the coach and not have to come up with any cash to buy her way out from under it. A large down payment takes care of this. Like was mentioned earlier, paying cash makes no sense, for us (your mileage may differ) because of the taxes that would be due up front and the average return on our retirement investments being higher than the cost of money.

Just take a look at my signature and you'll have an idea of my philosophy on this subject.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:01 PM   #33

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When i retired i sold my airplane. I never had time for it anymore.
Far to busy with the motor home traveling and spending time with the wife.
I have spent a million in the past but made two million in memories.
The only regret i have is i should have spentmore and enjoyed more.
There are no trailer hitches on a hearse to haul your money.
Enjoy it!
Sure i lost money on depreacition but i never lost a minute of sleep!

Motor homes are not for people who worry about such things.

If i get one more issue this week it will be two weeks before i get time to worry about it, far too busy worrying about the first thing.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:17 PM   #34

One thing that can be said is the vast majority of RV'rs are good folk. All looking to have a good time in their own way. Over the years I have only met a couple I didn't look forward to seeing again.
I enjoy walking up to a stranger and saying hi. This seems easier when you have something in common to start with. Enjoying family, friends and the outdoors is unbeatable.
Happy travels
Lynn