Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2015, 08:20 AM   #1

Smile depreciation/appreciation

Did you ever hear that when you drive a new car/motorhome off the lot it loses twenty percent of its value? What a stupid concept. No one buys a new car to sell it one week later. By the time you get around to selling that new car you've probably already enjoyed and used that vehicle enough to justify or make up for any depreciation - no maintenance under warranty, better fuel economy, better performance, safer, etc...

Sure, your new motorhome is going to depreciate. But, in the last decade there have been countless homes that became worth less than they were purchased for. Yes, some have appreciated.

We own a decent home. It's not really appreciating much, maybe a little. However, we pay $6000/year in taxes, $2500/year in insurance, $4000/year in utilities, $1000/year in warranty coverage, $2000/year in maintenance, and I'll put $2500/year in "lawn care" which includes mowing 1.5 acres, maintaining the mowers and other equipment, taking care of the trees, etc...

So, we're up to about $18,000/year that is what it costs just to live in a home that has no mortgage.

A stay a night in a State Park that includes electricity and water hookup - $21. Multiplied by thirty days a month is $630/month. That's close to what our home utilities are anyway.

Toss into the equation the TV and internet, which are often available free in an RV park, and there's even more savings.

So the argument that a motorhome lifestyle is a money pit just doesn't seem totally true.

Now, to that last statement. Let's look at that word "lifestyle." What a big word that is. Why are we on Earth? (Not trying to get all religious here, please!) We are here to make the best of ourselves. Also, it's reasonable to believe that we should try to enjoy ourselves while we're here. So, getting to wake up on a golf course, or next month on a lake, or next month in the mountains, or next month at the beach, or next month.... Wow! How do we put a value on that.

In a sticks and bricks we have probably have neighbors. Hopefully we like them. If we have crappy neighbors then that can cause a frown.

If we are in a motor coach the neighbors will change, or we can move rather easily if things are that bad. A hurricane coming? Drive away from the coast. Summer too hot? Drive towards the poles.

I can see disadvantages to living in a motor coach. But the advantages and the "lifestyle" seem well worth it. Not to mention that the money side of the equation is not really a given that it's on the negative side of the spreadsheet when you throw in the fixed unrecoverable costs of home ownership.

May your awnings always work, your slide outs always slide, your generator always provide enough power, and may you always have a good toad!

Love to all, Nancy & Phil

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2015, 08:27 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterson View Post
Did you ever hear that when you drive a new car/motorhome off the lot it loses twenty percent of its value? What a stupid concept. No one buys a new car to sell it one week later. By the time you get around to selling that new car you've probably already enjoyed and used that vehicle enough to justify or make up for any depreciation - no maintenance under warranty, better fuel economy, better performance, safer, etc...

Sure, your new motorhome is going to depreciate. But, in the last decade there have been countless homes that became worth less than they were purchased for. Yes, some have appreciated.

We own a decent home. It's not really appreciating much, maybe a little. However, we pay $6000/year in taxes, $2500/year in insurance, $4000/year in utilities, $1000/year in warranty coverage, $2000/year in maintenance, and I'll put $2500/year in "lawn care" which includes mowing 1.5 acres, maintaining the mowers and other equipment, taking care of the trees, etc...

So, we're up to about $18,000/year that is what it costs just to live in a home that has no mortgage.

A stay a night in a State Park that includes electricity and water hookup - $21. Multiplied by thirty days a month is $630/month. That's close to what our home utilities are anyway.

Toss into the equation the TV and internet, which are often available free in an RV park, and there's even more savings.

So the argument that a motorhome lifestyle is a money pit just doesn't seem totally true.

Now, to that last statement. Let's look at that word "lifestyle." What a big word that is. Why are we on Earth? (Not trying to get all religious here, please!) We are here to make the best of ourselves. Also, it's reasonable to believe that we should try to enjoy ourselves while we're here. So, getting to wake up on a golf course, or next month on a lake, or next month in the mountains, or next month at the beach, or next month.... Wow! How do we put a value on that.

In a sticks and bricks we have probably have neighbors. Hopefully we like them. If we have crappy neighbors then that can cause a frown.

If we are in a motor coach the neighbors will change, or we can move rather easily if things are that bad. A hurricane coming? Drive away from the coast. Summer too hot? Drive towards the poles.
I can see disadvantages to living in a motor coach. But the advantages and the "lifestyle" seem well worth it. Not to mention that the money side of the equation is not really a given that it's on the negative side of the spreadsheet when you throw in the fixed unrecoverable costs of home ownership.
May your awnings always work, your slide outs always slide, your generator always provide enough power, and may you always have a good toad!
Love to all, Nancy & Phil
Personally I have no appreciation for deprecation! ...
Mel
'96 Safari

Old 07-06-2015, 08:27 AM   #3

I myself could never imagine living in a little square box, I love the room of my house and would never give it up. To each his own...
Old 07-06-2015, 08:52 AM   #4

Please stop making those outlandish comments. Yes we are getting away with something, but it can be ruined by too many people. Keep a low profile and talk down the lifestyle as too expensive or better yet dangerous.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
I myself could never imagine living in a little square box, I love the room of my house and would never give it up. To each his own...

Yes, some cannot give up the house. And each to their own.
The lack of "house" works suits us well. And we do no sequester ourselves in a house or any one spot. We enjoy the big outdoor "living rooms". And sometimes we move just to change the outdoor wallpaper.
YMMV

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1436191480.631158.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  132.9 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1436191508.598183.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  77.7 KB

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:51 AM   #6

We enjoy our motor home, but are not ready to full time it. Several years ago, I looked into trading in our 4 year old Phaeton on a new 42' model. I was surprised at the difference the dealer wanted. Instead, I took that difference and bought another home in SE AZ. Later, we did go to a 43' Allegro Bus and use it to travel between homes and take several side trips to visit a daughter in ID or dry camping in the desert mountains with our Jeep whenever we want. We are always happy to get in the coach and head down the road, but we are just as happy to get back into the AZ home for the winter and the WI home for the summer. We wouldn't want to part with either one.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:11 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We love to travel, but we LOVE to come home. Full timing is not for us, but luckily it's a free country so choose what works for YOU. There is no right or wrong answer here.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
We love to travel, but we LOVE to come home. Full timing is not for us, but luckily it's a free country so choose what works for YOU. There is no right or wrong answer here.

I hear you, Sarah!
We could do both very meagerly or just one very well. And my house needed soooo much w--k. :(

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote