Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2016, 05:50 PM   #1

Depreciation buying new

We are looking at buying a new Super C motor home. Went to look at a 2015 Dyna max DX3 it was a used 36 ft. and they were asking $189,000 it had about 25,000 miles. I asked the salesman what a new DX3 costs and he told me around $300,000. That seams to be quite a large 37% depreciation being only 1 year old. We are looking at ordering a new NeXus Ghost 36SD you buy directly from the manufacture so you avoid having to pay the dealer/sales person cost. They list at $189,000 does that mean that when its 1 year old with 25,000 miles it will only be worth $119,000? I have tried to look up used NeXus Super C coaches but can't find many used on the market. I am asking this on the Class A forum because more of you have bought/sold motor homes. I also saw on tv tonight they are calling Super C motor homes Diesel pullers. Some of the high end ones were $1,000,000+ way out of our price range.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2016, 05:56 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mody n Domy View Post
I asked the salesman what a new DX3 costs and he told me around $300,000.
I think your question largely depends on if this is MSRP or actual cost. There's often about a 30% or more difference from MSRP and what you can actually pay.

I'm more in tune with costs of TT and 5th wheels but do know people routinely pay far too much for RVs of all classes and then piss and moan about depreciation. Yes, these things are toys and they are not an investment and they lose money quickly at times. But, IMO it's not nearly as bad as you would think from reading online forums. At least that's been my experience buying/selling/owning 4 RVs (2 used and 2 new) over the last 15 years.

Old 09-18-2016, 06:11 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mody n Domy View Post
I also saw on tv tonight they are calling Super C motor homes Diesel pullers. Some of the high end ones were $1,000,000+ way out of our price range.
Our rig depreciated over 50% since 2009 when the sticker price was $749,150, we only paid $329,000 last year.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:09 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I recommend you spend A LOT of time looking at a variety of coaches both new and used before you buy. The coaches that don't use a "dealer" to sell them have as many after purchase problems as every other coach.

There are many great used coaches on the market. We looked for over two years before we pulled the trigger on our coach. The class A coach we bought was 10 months old. There previous owners traded it in on a larger coach. We just happened to be stopping by (Lazydays Tampa) to look and because we knew what the prices were on the same coach new, we were confident that we were getting a good deal.

We paid 35 - 40% less than the new price and 15% less than any comparable used coaches.

I will also suggest that you look at class A diesel. They are a higher expensive upfront but are a real pleasure to drive. We own a Tiffin Allegro RED 33aa and we love it. It is an entry level DP but it has everything we want. We spend 4 - 5 months each winter in it as well as several shorter trips.

Best of Luck in your search
Old 09-18-2016, 09:37 PM   #5

Here are quite a few Nexus for sale..wondering if you saw these?

Nexus For Sale - Nexus RVs - RVTrader.com

Here's also a Nexus forum:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/ind...?topic=70806.0
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:06 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
We're on the hunt right now and it's difficult to chart actual selling prices because nobody posts them. However I believe if you chart the asking prices over several years, you'll end up with a curve that is similar. What I'm seeing roughly 15% the first three years, falling to 10% in years 4 and 5. That works out to a little more than 50% for a 5 year old coach. I only looked a little past five years and it seems to slow down after that.

If you consider that typical discounts from asking price can be 20-35% less (sometimes more), then you can get to a target purchase price and comfortably cover any depreciation for at least the first year. You may end up lowballing, but you can always raise your offer. That's my approach and I'm sticking to it.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:00 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by marknpeg View Post
We're on the hunt right now and it's difficult to chart actual selling prices because nobody posts them...
ppl in TX posts selling prices

PPL Motor Homes
Old 09-19-2016, 03:37 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes, the move you are talking about requires a lot of detective work.

The Mercedes Diesel chassis retain their value well. Other bigger units do not.

Tread lightly, until you are comfortable. But, lots of folks buy, and then become disenchanted with the adventure, making a bargain available to others.

Do not put too much (any) confidence in RV dealers, they do not provide after the sale support without charging for it, if it is not in writing.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:13 PM   #9
RVM1

I bought my 09 Monaco Camelot 42 for a song I didn't know the music for.
Sales folks call me "difficult".
Buy used and be brutal

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by marknpeg View Post
That works out to a little more than 50% for a 5 year old coach. I only looked a little past five years and it seems to slow down after that.
From my experience with TTs and 5th wheels the value is roughly 50% of MSRP at around 4-5 years so it sounds like class A's are pretty much the same. Of course, there is a big regional factor at times and this assumes you didn't raise goats in it while not using it to camp

This rapid depreciation off MSRP is precisely why it's critical to buy at a good price.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:07 PM   #11

A brand new motor home will depreciate 30% to 40% the moment you drive it off the lot.

It's a vehicle that immediately loses value just like any other car, truck, SUV, etc.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:33 PM   #12

Those that buy used love to quote numbers off the original MSRP which may be as much as 40% higher than what a savvy buyer will pay. If a coach has an MSRP of $500,000 but can be purchased for $300,000 and is available used for $270,000 then ACTUAL depreciation is only $30,000 or 10% and not 46%. That's much more of a real depreciation number than what many will claim their "savings" are.

Remember the odds of getting the lemon that a disgruntled buyer wanted to dump are just as high as you getting the unspoiled treasure of an RV.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:53 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
The really big market affect is high fuel costs (at the pump)

Best used gasser buys are made when the gas prices are high, converse for diesel chassis.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:03 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
The other problem with buying new is that you'll probably spend months getting the bugs worked out.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote