Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
I'd love to buy a Breeze, it will be our next motorhome. Used ones are hard to find.
Is $100k their asking price? Because you could probably get it for less. Saw one at PPLmotorhomes went for $89K recently.
Lazy Days Florida has had a number of used Breezes in stock. What size and year Breeze went for $89?

avid
2015 Bay Star 3103, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfyanes View Post
Start a legit LLC, buying it using the LLC, rent it or find some other money making business and depreciate the coach, the LLC might even lose money, tax bennies there too
I am taking a stab at this by saying that that amount of write off through the LLC is not going to even come close to the rate of depression (on the Coach) or the money recovered at tax time. Plus the inatial cost of the LLC to do this. One would have to figure the tax savings out on this angle of thought. In todays market a person that paided $500,000.00 for a Coach is hard pressed to recover 1/2 of the purchased price 4-5 years later, this means you would have to write off $250,000.00 in 4-5 years on the purchase, and what would the final amount be that one would stick back in thier wallet. Can this been done on ones taxs? I would like to know.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #31

Workhorse Chassis Owner
if you can afford it and like to rv,i say get what you want. waiting around to find something cheaper is up to you but life is short you could wake up dead tomorrow and miss out on alot of fun things that are priceless
Old 04-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #32

Thanks for the advice. Great people on this forum. This year is jam-packed, so wouldn't use the RV much-may be best to just keep our eyes open, especially through the winter, because we need it for 2014-I always start looking a year in advance. We had a Jayco TT for 5 yrs and loved it, but want a Class A now. Paid $12,500 for TT and sold it for $10500 5 yrs later. I still may look at the LLC idea because of all the business traveling we do--If I am looking in the $35k-$65k range, it may make sense--I may wait on the Breeze due to the price, and lots of replies about the short-wheelbase is a handful to drive. The whole point was to get a Class A that you can drive like a Crew-cab pickup, but seems like the true MPG aren't much better than the 34' rigs. I'm also looking at a Winnebago Journey 34 Cummins diesel.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid_dk View Post
Lazy Days Florida has had a number of used Breezes in stock. What size and year Breeze went for $89?
It was a 2011 28' Breeze that was sold through PPL Motorhomes, went for $87,000. At least, that was the asking. Here's a link:

2011 Allegro Breeze 28BR for Sale - D107NB - PPL Motor Homes

If you do a search for Allegro Breeze 28BR on their site, it will show the price.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I thought you were also looking at a 99 Georgie Boy ?
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:42 AM   #35

Freightliner Owners Club
Pasture when in 2009 I drove this 2008 off the parking lot I ask my Wife did she know how much this DP was worth she said No and I said $0,because if I had to justify the cost I would have not bought and knew it was a loosing deal finacially.

P.S. I,m not Rich just Blessed
Old 04-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I am taking a stab at this by saying that that amount of write off through the LLC is not going to even come close to the rate of depression (on the Coach) or the money recovered at tax time. Plus the inatial cost of the LLC to do this. One would have to figure the tax savings out on this angle of thought. In todays market a person that paided $500,000.00 for a Coach is hard pressed to recover 1/2 of the purchased price 4-5 years later, this means you would have to write off $250,000.00 in 4-5 years on the purchase, and what would the final amount be that one would stick back in thier wallet. Can this been done on ones taxs? I would like to know.
Writing off an RV through a business can be done, but there are very, very specific rules to be followed. First off, the rental of an RV would likely fall under the passive loss rules which would limit the annual write off to no more than $25,000 and that is assuming you meet certain guidelines for time spent renting out the rig. Personally, I don't think there are very many of us on here who would gladly hand over the keys to our rigs to a stranger and expect the unit to come back in the same shape that it went out at.

RV's in a valid business setting can be written off, but the key terms here are a "valid business setting" and those can not be just passed by. You have to have a business that would require or be better suited to using an RV rather than hotels for the business purpose. Your personal use of the rig would be limited and any business write off would have to be reduced proportionately by the personal use. When you would be done using the RV and go to sell it, you will have to recapture the depreciation taken. Oops, there's the pay back of your tax savings. It can be done but it isn't all write off and no payback for the IRS and the state.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:56 AM   #37

Yes, you are exactly right about recapturing the depreciation when you sell----it can come back to bite you. And all your personal miles must be accounted for and that price is added as taxable income. I'm fairly certain I will not put it in the LLC. I was looking at a '99 Georgie Boy for $29500-30k miles and cummins/6spd allison--it had a rubber roof with one previous leak. It was sold while I was doing my research on that model-I guess it wan't meant to be! Saw a floor plan of a 2003 Winnebago Journey 34D with cummins/5spd allison, and it is in the $50k bracket. I will probably just keep my eye open since I don't really need the RV till next spring. The good news is that my wife is on-board because she will have to help with the driving! Thank you for all the advice.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #38

Country Coach Owners Club
Just another point of view. Have you thought about renting one as "a long test drive" before purchasing? There are a number of places found on-line that may be close to you. Before you write the big check, it may be very worthwhile to see if your perceptions are indeed reality. Diesel vs. Gas? Does the length, bed size, number of slides, etc make a lot or very little difference to you?

I say that because the things, initially, that I thought were very important changed (some cases radically) after renting.

Just my two cents!

Good luck and have fun!
Mark
Old 04-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Writing off an RV through a business can be done, but there are very, very specific rules to be followed. First off, the rental of an RV would likely fall under the passive loss rules which would limit the annual write off to no more than $25,000 and that is assuming you meet certain guidelines for time spent renting out the rig. Personally, I don't think there are very many of us on here who would gladly hand over the keys to our rigs to a stranger and expect the unit to come back in the same shape that it went out at.

RV's in a valid business setting can be written off, but the key terms here are a "valid business setting" and those can not be just passed by. You have to have a business that would require or be better suited to using an RV rather than hotels for the business purpose. Your personal use of the rig would be limited and any business write off would have to be reduced proportionately by the personal use. When you would be done using the RV and go to sell it, you will have to recapture the depreciation taken. Oops, there's the pay back of your tax savings. It can be done but it isn't all write off and no payback for the IRS and the state.
Be careful here. You most likely will get pushed into a commerical drivers license and the insurance structure will change.

Ken
Old 04-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #40

You should buy a hotel, then you can use it as an investment and sleep there whenever you want.

Buy an RV and the money is going, going, gone.

You only live once. Live it how you choose. We choose to travel and live on the road as we go. I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #41

Ha, this comment hits me hard in the funny bone. My wife and I bought a hotel in 2003 with 10 other investors. 3 of them turned out to be crooks. 4 of us bought it back at 30 cents on the dollar last year to keep it from going bankrupt-the crooks had ran up many debts. We finally resold it last fall to a very nice family, and all the headaches are gone! May seriously look at renting a diesel next year if we don't find one we like. Thanks for all the help. Would like a class A diesel 32'-36' with bunk beds, but those are rare at that short of length.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:08 AM   #42

Pasture, we have a 40' Berkshire that is a bunk model and has been a very good unit. I don't think you'll regret having two more feet of rig and some extra storage by going with a 40' rig.

Ed