Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-09-2013, 06:53 AM   #43
The OP starts off talking about a short gas coach and the conversation always ends up with s 40' diesel pusher. A 40' diesel pusher is the answer to everything...cool. Makes things simple.

tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2013, 07:18 AM   #44
Tiffin Owners Club
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
The OP starts off talking about a short gas coach...
As a 1-year owner of the same coach the OP started talking about, I can say definitively that the Allegro Breeze 28BR is a diesel pusher!

David Moffitt
2014 Phaeton 40AH
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel
D Moffitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:31 AM   #45
Found a pretty good site that speaks specifically to depreciation.
Basically agreed the depreciation is about 35% the 1st year which should be offset by as much as 20% through discounts and incentives.then 10% the 2nd year
3yr 6%
4yr 6%
5yr 6%
6yr 5%
7yr 5%
8yr 4%
9yr 4%
10 3%
11 3%
12 2%

So the good news is if you buy a 10-12 yr old rig in the $50k range and take out a 10 yr loan you'll stay petty close to owing what its worth.
2000 Monaco Windsor Cummins 330
greatlakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
The OP starts off talking about a short gas coach and the conversation always ends up with s 40' diesel pusher. A 40' diesel pusher is the answer to everything...cool. Makes things simple.
Absolutely. It is a great size, fits almost anywhere and is large enough to do the things most people want. We love ours. 40' is just about the perfect size. IMHO Good luck
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #47
Texas Boomers Club
A CPA told me of another option -- Take a temporary job where the distance between your sticks and bricks and the temporary job is too far to reasonably be expected able to go "home" each day. (A temp job can not be longer than a year.)

As I understand it, you can deduct the depreciate on the MH for the year at the temp job as well as associated expenses. These can include Park fees and food. Have also been told that any repairs that are needed would also be deductible as well as returning to the s/b. At the end of the year, this tax option is over, unless one takes a different temporary job. For a person in the right line of business, this option is worth considering.

Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Writing off an RV through a business can be done, but there are very, very specific rules .......
WriteOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:53 PM   #48
Originally Posted by sdlcrazier View Post
a good one. it normally depreciates completely in 7 years. as only your llc is making money it'll be all good (beware if llc loses money continuously more than 3 years, uncle sam might knock on your door

rving is a lifestyle, money should be a very light weight in pros/cons equation. i regarded the money spent on rv as a disposal, never thought i would reclaim it someday. enjoy it.
I owned a hobby farm for 10 years, never made a profit, wrote off everything under the sun. was never any issue. your motorhome can be written off to an extent if you operate your business out of it. find a good account or tax lawyer and go over it with them.

deafcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fact of life is RV's depreciate. You cannot buy an RV as an investment. Look at depreciation as the cost of having a vacation and just accept thefun you had.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
I consider my Coach to represent a investment in my life............ the worst one I have ever made......... but reflects a investment that no one can put a price on.........
2000 Newmar MADP 4060, 350ISC, Spartan MM, IFS 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006Ultra & 1989 Springer
palehorse89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:04 AM   #51
The connection between "investment" and the purchase of an RV can't be made. Assuming of course that investments are supposed to be made for monetary gain. Money pit is closer to accurate. However ... what fun is there in fondling a monthly financial statement when you could be grasping the steering wheel of a machine that takes you to fun and exciting places?

I quietly wonder how many others have the same desire to spend it all before dying? Kids are on their own, we gave them a good start. They can save for their retirements like we did.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #52
Most products in the sporting and recreational field depreciate rapidly.

No one wants last year's model especially in boats, motorcycles, and...RV's. Just the nature of the market.

Majority of these things like dirt bikes and ski boats are not good investments - if you are looking for them to hold value for resale your out of luck. RV's are no exception.

THE value is in the usage. How many people do you know with jet skis, ATV's, or RV's just sitting in the garage gathering dust? Buying an RV and hoping it will be worth something at sale is directly related to the usage of the coach. Did you and the family enjoys years of vacations and road trips in the MH? Did you and the missus travel and enjoy the open road? Thar's the rub...
2004 Silverado Duramax Six-Pac Camper
1999 Coachman Leprechaun
2010 ATC Race Car Trailer
jamesgr81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:32 AM   #53
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
maybe the OP can glean some insight on how selling a $12,500 travel trailer at a loss can translate into eliminating depreciation on newer RVs?

I bought my 5yr old unit well under wholesale because I had the cash and found the perfect situation. I do all my own work and have pretty good connections in the repair world.
If I were to sell my rig today... I might still take a small loss. The original owners paid $130k for it. Might be worth ~$46k ACV today.
Put about 15k miles on it so far and have long since stopped worrying about costs. Its a turn key vacation mothership that takes about 45mins to get loaded and stocked. Parked in my backyard. Cant really put a price on that.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #54
If you try to justify buying a class A or any other RV financially, it simply won't work. Back when we started in our first coach, we frequently took the grandkids along. They could go to the bathroom anytime they wanted--no leaving a rest area and 5 miles later hearing: "I gotta go!". And getting refreshments and food while traveling is great. When they got bored, we'd put on a video in the bedroom, and they would be fine. We like the idea of knowing who has slept in the bed and having access to everything while driving.
As far as the Breeze goes, it may work for some, but I would consider a rear diesel with that short a wheelbase to be downright dangerous in a high wind situation. As far as mileage goes, I seriously doubt you would average anywhere close to 15 MPG. Headwinds and hills wreak havoc with mileage even with a light touch on the accelerator. There are a lot of good used coaches that will get around 10 MPG. I consider range to be about as important as mileage. The Sprinter-based RVs get great milage, but ranges are only 3-400 miles. If you're comparing a $100k coach to a used $30k coach, the difference will pay for a lot of fuel. Also, it will pay for a tow dolly or setting up a toad. Believe me, you will regret not having a tow car!
There are so many great used units out there--a few years ago we saw a great-looking Safari 36-footer about 10 years old for $25k at Camping World in Tucson, and a search will find many more. Good luck!
USAF Retired
2000 Prevost Marathon H3-45
Towing 2006 Nissan Maxima
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #55
As has been stated, an RV is NOT an investment, it is more of a hobby. My wife and I like to travel with our three well trained small dogs and sometimes adult children and/or grandchildren. The aspect of staying in motels while traveling (smelly rooms, extra pet fees, uncomfortable beds, bed bug scares, seedy neighborhoods, noisy people upstairs etc) doen't appeal to us, so we decided to start traveling with an RV and enjoy it. It is a much more relaxing way to travel and we have met many wonderful people along the way. It's nice to be able to travel with almost all the comforts of home. We are not wealthy but can always find the resources to travel to new places. It also helps to live in an area where there is a wealth of things to do within a few hours of home (Oregon, in our case). Bargain for the best deal on what you want and enjoy it!!!!
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #56
Here was my logic when we purchased our MH. "You can leave the kids/grandkids MONEY or MEMORIES! Which do you think will last longer? Enjoy it before the goverment gets it all!

Don & Bunny
05 Discovery
06 Saturn ION toad manual 5 spd
dls461 is offline   Reply With Quote