Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #57

Well I bought my 1995 RV for $12,500 and my Insurance Company values it at $19,500!

So I guess I have negative depreciation
steveclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2013, 07:33 AM   #58

Not sure how to escape that "D" word, but just think of the fun and memories. Should be worth every penny.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #59
laj

give it a couple of days, that will change. the way i figure it is if you worry about depreciation you shouldn't own one. great lifestyle and worth whatever the cost.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #60

Thinking broad scope here ... what does NOT depreciate after purchase? At one time it could be said a home was an investment with appreciable character, but in the current economic climate that is dubious. Factoring in the escalating property taxes, a home is a poor net investment. Therefore unless an RV is made of solid precious metal, that big investment is going to depreciate like everything else.

My body is depreciating and I'm getting more worthless every day !! Getting smarter does to help. Tried that. Got negative results.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:10 AM   #61

What is the value of your comfort? What is the value of your privacy? What is the value in being able to travel on your own schedule and not have to live out of a suitcase? What is the value in being able travel and not have to deal with airport security?

ALL those things have a value to us FAR beyond whatever depreciation we will incur in owning our coach.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:37 AM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
What is the value of your comfort? What is the value of your privacy? What is the value in being able to travel on your own schedule and not have to live out of a suitcase? What is the value in being able travel and not have to deal with airport security?

ALL those things have a value to us FAR beyond whatever depreciation we will incur in owning our coach.
I place a value of $2,000 on each trip. We've done about 100 trips both long and short over the past 9 years.

So I'm at about $200,000 income on pleasure and my cost was about $125,000.

Net gain $75,000. Life is all in how you think about it.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #63

New Coach = $150k two months ago...

Value of Coach today = $100k

Price of the video below? = $514,800,235,099.79

[youtube]
Maladjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #64

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maladjusted View Post
New Coach = $150k two months ago...

Value of Coach today = $100k

Price of the video below? = $514,800,235,099.79

<a href="
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:13 PM   #65

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasture View Post
Yes, $100k is asking price. Here is my question-I almost bought a '99 georgie boy 35' diesel in great shape with 30k miles for $29,500. .....
I think you've hit it on the head.
You can buy older/cheaper and it won't depreciate so much, but then you can't get exactly what you want.
If you buy newer, you'll get closer to what you want, but these things depreciate hard for the first 10 years at least...

Thumbs up for not talking about buying a new one!

There are two schools of thought:
1) Buy your last RV first.
2) Buy your first RV (cheaper) and sort out what you want, need, and what is important. Consider cost vs how much you'll actually use it.

Neither method avoids depreciation. If you're going to own it for 10+ years, I'd buy the last RV first... If not, do it the other way around.

I avoid the TSA by being a pilot and owning a share in a small airplane. The airplane is cheaper than the RV, both in MPG, and total costs of ownership (more than one partner).

Boats, airplanes, and RVs... Of those 3, RVs depreciate the most.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #66

For me, I look at the experience and convenience. I keep miles off my car and arrive at the location with said car for about 2X the travel cost (fuel). When I get their, I am in my hotel room with my stuff. For my DW, she likes the idea of never having to use a public restroom on the road As a sample trip, we did a 5 day, 4 nighter to Wisconsin Dells. The camping and waterpasses were about $500 compared with the hotel package at $1500. But, I did not buy it to save money so much as a travel lifestyle. The kids love it, we get to do more family activities and come up with reasons to take trips anywhere. it is nice to come "home", where ever you are visiting. It is the best value in depreciation I have ever had and would do it again.
HeavyH2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #67

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
You cannot buy an RV as an investment.
Don't tell the classic Airstream guys...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #68

I must agree. RV is like a money pit. But the memories with family and children you can not put a price tag on that. We brought a 2002 Fleetwood DP last year and with my wife's liver transplant it has been a great home away from home as we are 125 miles from home and she has come to love it. Having a second home for tax break so think about a bank loan and a home is great. Remember you can not turn the clock backwards.
GregOk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #69

Being an owner of many former boats, luxury cars, and now a top of the line RV, I would hate to think of the cash I do NOT have in my bank acct because of the rampant depreciation in MOST of these toys. But realistically at the end of the day when my tombstone reads....."he had a good time".......... the good news is every penny of it was worth it. The memories made, the sights I am still seeing, the friends I am still making, the low stress, healthy RV lifestyle that all would not have been possible without the INVESTMENT my wife and I made the day we signed that simple interest note.

Your accountant will say...."its not a good tax write-off"
Your photo album should say.....what cha waiting on?
BryanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
Once you have made the decision to purchase a motorhome, decide on the best floorplan for you, then buy the best you can afford. It will hold its value (meaning a lesser proportion of depreciation expense as related to value)longer.