Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-30-2013, 09:16 AM   #85
My advice:
1) Shop for the best unit per dollar you can find.
2) Get it checked out so no surprises.
3) Never check the fuel mileage.
4) Travel and have a good time.

You can't put a price on a good time.

2005 Country Coach 40 foot Inspire 330
HoleInOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #86

Steve and Connie F421161, GS Life Mbr, TDC, FCOC
2013 Thor Palazzo 33.2, Pinot Noir, Sophie, Little One
Fiat Trekking, Blue Ox, Army 6/32 Arty VN 12/69 - 1/71
StevieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:51 AM   #87
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Our RV is not a toy...it is our home...most likely for the next ten years. It just so happens that over the next ten years DW and I will see things and meet people all over this country and Canada that would have cost a fortune to see and do via hotels, airfare, rental cars, excursions, etc.

Does the money equation work out...who cares...we're living our dream from 38 years ago when we married
OOPS, poor choice of words on my part. I have several friends living the life of a full timer and I meant nothing degrading....infact I may have a little envy. I just meant buying an RV is not going to give a return on your money BUT there are benefits to ownership many of which you are enjoying.
"Life is a Journey. Enjoy the Ride"
2004 Winnebago Journey 39K w/ 330 Cummins on a Workhorse Chasis (rare but no problems yet).
slick60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:04 AM   #88
We're not MH-ers (yet?), but some thoughts...

RV-ing is fun, fun, fun! You can't buy any other kind of fun for the kind of money you'll spend. The places you'll go, the people you'll meet, the things you'll see and do, the things you'll discover, the feeling of getting away from it all.... Priceless.

Good to be thinking about purchasing a newer previously owned MH. The bigger chunk of depreciation will be at the beginning. At least by talking about it here, you know you're going to take a big hit in advance if/when you do go to sell it and don't end up with a heart attack.

You could be thinking about something with worse depreciation like a boat. Around here (west coast of BC), you can't give them away. I know the economy in the US isn't that great, but would a $50K loss be the end of the world for you? Is that $50K of future inheritance that your kids something could really use and are you going to have feelings of guilt after? But, you aren't getting younger and things can unexpectedly change at a moments notice. If you haven't ever done something fun just for yourselves, indulge and just do it. We indulged and bought a TT 2 years ago in advance of DW retiring with the thinking that health could change overnight at any time and we would rather enjoy travelling and RV-ing now while we are both healthy (DW's mom died from cancer in her fifties and it's always in the back of DW's mind).

Why would you only keep the MH for a few years after your kids graduate? Not sure of your ages, but the majority of MH owners we see in cgs are in the 65+ year old range. Maybe keep it a lot longer than you are thinking of right now? We have a TT, and have had some say we WILL end up with a MH down the road. Can't see it right now, but who knows, I used to say we'd never own any kind of RV.

Is this the first RV you've ever owned? Why not buy a used one for a lot less or rent one for a while? A lot of times, RV owners end up upgrading to something bigger and better in a short period of time. Maybe you'll be at an RV show and see something you just hafta have. Then you've got to unload the MH you just spent $100K on. We upgraded our TT just one year after the first one we bought after we saw a bigger and better one at an RV show that we fell in love with. Happens all the time.

Depreciation may be a huge cost, but what about maintenance costs in a MH? I read all the time about major things that break down and cost a bundle to fix. Checked the price of a new set of tires? They ain't cheap on a MH. Is Tiffin one of the better makes? I don't know anything about MHs, but I do know from reading that some are bad news and bad quality and costly to fix all the things that go wrong. And sometimes when things do go wrong, you can't always just drop into the nearest RV dealer. Sometimes you have to go to the plant. For the non do-it-yourselfer, things on MHs can be more complex. The repair and maintenance costs that I read about on MHs scares the dickens out of me. A MH just seems to be like Texas - everything to do with it is bigger.

Have you got a big lot to park your rig on or would you have to rent space in a storage lot that would yet be another expense?

Are you going to buy a toad for your MH? That's another big chunk of dough too (not to mention depreciation, etc.).

What would you do if you didn't buy the MH? Stay at home and watch TV? Or would you be going on vacations somewhere? If you were to do a bit of travelling around the country or some trips out of the country, you could be spending $10K plus a year or so. At least with a MH, you could take your kids, grandkids and pets with you for little extra cost.

It's not just the depreciation of a MH, even at a huge depreciated value, when you do go to sell, it can be REALLY hard to find a buyer and it can take f-o-r-e-v-e-r..... I've seen MHs around here in front yards with for sale signs on them for 2-3 years.

If you really want to do some RV-ing, why not get a nice truck and trailer? However... A truck and trailer (5th or TT) can cost you $100K anyway. Not sure what my point is exactly, but maybe at least you'd have the use of the truck at home for other stuff (or for your kids)? Maybe the depreciation would be less?

If you want an RV that doesn't depreciate much, consider getting a tent trailer. For some reason, they seem to maintain their value better. (And for some reason, they're expensive to buy for what they are.)

It's too bad they don't lease RVs like with cars. I wonder why?
Gil & Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS & Ford F250 supercab V10 4x4 LB
Langley, B.C.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:10 PM   #89
Myredracer they do rent RVs however it is pretty expensive. I rented a 15 passenger van back when we still tented about 5years ago and that was $700+ a week and RVs were in the range of $1500 to $3000 a week depending on size. Unless you were referring to renting a tt. Lots of campgrounds have trailers on site that can be rented and those seem to be more reasonable plus you don't have to own a truck to tow it there. Getting started and trying out different units can be a good thing just I found it on the expensive side. So we bought an old pop up after tenting for years. Then decided we needed more room and bought an old class C. Fixed it up used it a year and sold it for three times what I paid for it. Moved into a class A gasser then to the now DP. If your handy and can fix most things this is a great way to go without spending lots of money up front and losing it each time you change to a different unit. After you've gone a few times you learn what you like and dislike and will be able to choose an RV or tt that fits your needs best. But check around you can rent almost anything.
2000 Monaco Windsor Cummins 330
greatlakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:36 PM   #90
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
RV-ing is fun, fun, fun! You can't buy any other kind of fun for the kind of money you'll spend. The places you'll go, the people you'll meet, the things you'll see and do, the things you'll discover, the feeling of getting away from it all.... Priceless.
yep that is the point.
2000 Country Coach Intrigue 40'
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:28 AM   #91
RVing is truly truly an expensive hobby. You have to accept that. A MH is a Money Pit and you must decide if it is worth it for your personal tolerance of fun vs dollar cost. My philosophy is if you have the $$$ to do it and like the experience go ahead since you can't take the $$$ with you when you go!! I am spending my kids inheritance!!
2002 Dutchstar, Spartan Chassis, 350 Cummins, 2012 Explorer.
Snomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:37 AM   #92
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV'ing is a lifestyle and the rigs are not investments. RV'ing is no different than how some folks get their pleasure out of dining at fine restaurants and then heading to the theatre for a show.

Our son and daughter in law love to go to the big city at least once a month for the weekend. The spend two nights in a hotel and eat at some of the better restaurants and usually attend a show or go shopping. They probably spend close to $700 bucks each time they go.

Bottom line, both lifestyles are meant to give pleasure and are a distraction from the reality of our hectic lives. If you can afford it and want to give your family some special memories then march forward and don't worry about depreciation.

Marc & Jan
Molly, Abby & Katie | The Cocker K-9 Kids!|Toad 2014 Cadillac SRX
2012 Berkshire 360FWS, Brake Buddy Vantage|Wineguard Travler SK-3005 |TST 507 TPMS
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote