Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2013, 05:31 AM   #1

Depreciation concerns

Looking at buying the perfect RV for our vacation needs-a 2011 Tiffin Allegro Breeze 28BR with 10k miles-wheelbase is 150" so it can go almost anywhere and gets 11-15mpg. Cost--$100k. My concern is that after the kids graduate and we decide to sell in 6-8 years, it could be worth as little as $50k. (will probably put on 7k miles/yr) I am having a hard time financially justifying this big of a loss. I have looked at many RV's, and I know this is the best one for what we want to do. Maybe I should wait another year to find one for $80-$90k? Maybe it won't depreciate this much, but with fuel prices creeping up, this is my guess.
Pasture is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2013, 05:33 AM   #2

We look at it as a cheap price for not having to deal with TSA.
StevieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:42 AM   #3

You can not buy a motorhome thinking it will not depreciate. RVing is for fun and how much dollar value can you put on that. Buy a lesser expensive unit if future resale value are of concern. There are a lot of nice older units out there that may fit your bill. Just keep looking. Cheers Gerald
Gerald Duerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasture View Post
Looking at buying the perfect RV for our vacation needs-a 2011 Tiffin Allegro Breeze 28BR with 10k miles-wheelbase is 150" so it can go almost anywhere and gets 11-15mpg. Cost--$100k. My concern is that after the kids graduate and we decide to sell in 6-8 years, it could be worth as little as $50k. (will probably put on 7k miles/yr) I am having a hard time financially justifying this big of a loss. I have looked at many RV's, and I know this is the best one for what we want to do. Maybe I should wait another year to find one for $80-$90k? Maybe it won't depreciate this much, but with fuel prices creeping up, this is my guess.
If you are trying to justify an rv financially, you are fighting windmills. They depreciate. If you want newer and up to date, the depreciation is a lot. If you can settle for older, more used, and not up to date, you can buy for much less and the depreciation is a lot less. Instead of treating it as a wise financial decision, we decide whether the cost is, for us, affordable and then decide whether to spend. Good luck with your decision.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasture View Post
I read your post and I do not see a question but some statements in fact. I am not trying to be a smart, you know what, but yes vehicles do depreciate and it is something that we all accept whenever we buy and RV. RVing is more than buying a rolling bedroom and if that is all you are looking for you should stick with hotels. Many state and national parks have lodging so you really do not need an RV to visit these locations.
We have only been doing this RVing thing for a couple of years and yes we have spent a ton of money and will spend more, not only in depreciation but in fuel, maintenance, specialty items, camping fees, etc. so if you are having second thoughts at this point I would step back and think harder.
In my humble opinion, my dear wife and I made a wonderful decision and we are not looking back...depreciation be dammed!
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:54 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd love to buy a Breeze, it will be our next motorhome. Used ones are hard to find.
I wouldn't worry too much about depreciation, they all drop about 25% the minute you drive it off the lot.
Is $100k their asking price? Because you could probably get it for less. Saw one at PPLmotorhomes went for $89K recently.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:29 AM   #7

11-15 mpg ?
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:30 AM   #8

Yes, $100k is asking price. Here is my question-I almost bought a '99 georgie boy 35' diesel in great shape with 30k miles for $29,500. But with the long wheelbase and taller height, I knew it wasn't ideal for simple vacations (we don't want to tow a car) and it wouldn't fit in my shed. THe breeze is the perfect size, it has the same wheelbase as a crew-cab truck, fits in my shed--my wife can easily drive it. I can buy it with cash, but maybe I should rethink an older diesel in the $30-50k range and be okay with renting a car once we get to our destination? It seems a 2011 diesel will depreciate 10% a year, and a 5-10 year old unit may depreciate 5% a year. All toys depreciate, so I am just rethinking. Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:34 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
An RV purchase is not an investment, it is a cost, you have to decide if it's worth the cost.

I guess you could count it as an investment in the family. The family adventures and time with your kids is hard to put a price on.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:36 AM   #10

The breeze was getting 15mpg on hwy at 55mph, and 13-14 on interstate at 65-70mph with no tow vehicle.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:40 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Analytical finance and RVing are not a good combination (neither is recreational boating for that matter). If you enjoy the life, that is what really matters.

Hate to burst your bubble but I think your mpg estimates for the Breeze are a little optimistic. 9.0 to 10.5 mpg are a little more realistic. Given that the Breeze is still a work in process, if you do buy one, make sure that all of the realignment and steering modifications have been done to the latest Tiffin specs. They drive nice once they are setup properly but can be "touchy" if not.

You might want to head over to the tiffinrvnetwork.com web site and correspond with other Breeze owners for some real information.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:52 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
A motor coach is the absolute worst single thing that a man can spend his money on! (boats to) but you won't spend money on anything else that will bring you and your family so much enjoyment and the things that you will see will last forever in your minds, can't put a price on that.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:00 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you pass on the Breeze, please let me know where it is, because I could be interested. (convincing the wife might be a challenge though)
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:06 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I figured out that my 2002 has depreciated about $16,000 per year. This figure may not be accurate when you're only talking about a shorter period.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote