Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2017, 09:18 PM   #1

Depreciation Values?

Depriciation values? We are looking for an older DP around a 2000 to 2005 under $50000 under 100000 miles. A higher end coach. And yes I've seen some out there like this. Just wondering if we purchase one around that price what will it be worth in a couple of years? I know lower but how much do they usually drop in price?
Cash price if we wanted to sell it to get a different one or just get out from it!
Wright1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2017, 09:25 PM   #2

5-8% per year decline depend on use, storage among other factors.
Breezy2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:02 AM   #3
tvp

Do gas RV depreciate faster than DP ??? And after the first year 25% seems to be the normal amount ....what are the next 10 years like ? 10% each year or less if well maintained?? Would be interesting if buying a used gas vs DP is better choice ?[emoji736]
Old 07-21-2017, 06:34 AM   #4

At 10% each year, I'm going to have to pay someone $20,000 to take mine away in just a few short years from now...
Old 07-21-2017, 06:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggcrisp View Post
At 10% each year, I'm going to have to pay someone $20,000 to take mine away in just a few short years from now...

Hahahaha , give me a call in a few years and I'll be glad to help you out
Philswrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:47 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I was buying in 2012, my research included coming to the conclusion that, at the 10 year mark, diesel pushers were worth about 30% of their original MSRP and, from then on, stabilized in that range so long as they were used and maintained sufficiently. Now, five years later, those numbers still appear to be correct. Of course, the "maintained sufficiently" is far from cheap.

Edit added:
I suppose I should add my definition of maintenance. In addition to whatever chassis maintenance specified by Freightliner, I replace whatever breaks or wears out so that the entire rig is as factory fresh as it can possibly be. Secondly, at each step whenever possible, I replace with the latest technology. On these terms, I'm pretty sure I can sell my rig for what I paid originally.

Just my opinions, if course. All of that and 5 bucks will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:48 AM   #7
tvp

Tough choice between Gas and DP ��
Old 07-21-2017, 06:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wright1 View Post
Depriciation values? We are looking for an older DP around a 2000 to 2005 under $50000 under 100000 miles. A higher end coach. And yes I've seen some out there like this. Just wondering if we purchase one around that price what will it be worth in a couple of years? I know lower but how much do they usually drop in price?
Cash price if we wanted to sell it to get a different one or just get out from it!
Depending on how handy you are you can always look for a diamond in the rough. Start with what are known to be a good coach from the start that might have been neglected a bit. If you have a good foundation most things can be repaired or replaced but it has to have good bones.

Being patient can pay big dividends. We waited for one we could get for a lot less than full value. Just searched and educated ourselves then ended up finding one in our back yard that I had always liked, watched is sit for years with no use. We stopped by and asked if it was for sale and sure enough got it dirt cheap. Knowing this one has a good heritage for quality it was one we felt we could whip back into shape. We had a budget which we wanted to include the coach and repairs, we are pretty close to the estimate with the last item on the to do list being done now. So even with everything we have done to it which is a lot we are still at less than 1/2 it's current NADA. From what I have seen the Beavers tend to go for a little over book.

Our plan is going to be to run it for 6 to 8 years and make a decision from there whether we want to trade and keep doing it or just sell it. I take really good care of my stuff and always leave it better than I got it so hoping we get back a good chunk or our investment and still have the full use for that amount of time. And even if we do not and can only get a little for it we will have had use of it and still not taken a bad hit.
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:05 AM   #9
tvp

We are doing the same , with our budget of around $145,000 we can get a older DP with lots of nice features or a newer Gas unit with less features.... but newer ....
What's the best way to go ?
Old 07-21-2017, 07:08 AM   #10

What difference does it make? It's a Recreational Vehicle, not an investment. It's intended to be used and enjoyed. If you have to consider depreciation, then you must put a value on each time you use and enjoy it. If one does their due diligence, the RV they end up with will serve them for many years. Depreciation means nothing till you sell or trade it. Then you need to offset that amount with the value you put on the enjoyment you received. If those amounts match, then the RV cost you nothing. (maintenance excluded)
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:47 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
X2 to Crasher and a great reminder of why we choose this path.

Clay & Marcy
2004 Winnebago Adv. G35U
, 1995 Tracker Toad, RVI3, eeZRV, Garmin RV 770 LMT-S, Viair
CEParosa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
What difference does it make? It's a Recreational Vehicle, not an investment. It's intended to be used and enjoyed. If you have to consider depreciation, then you must put a value on each time you use and enjoy it. If one does their due diligence, the RV they end up with will serve them for many years. Depreciation means nothing till you sell or trade it. Then you need to offset that amount with the value you put on the enjoyment you received. If those amounts match, then the RV cost you nothing. (maintenance excluded)
Overall this is a very true statement and really how it should be looked at.

BUT at the same time there is also no reason with some research, patience and elbow grease someone can not have all the fun and not have to take a beating in the process.
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:44 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasdaqsam View Post

BUT at the same time there is also no reason with some research, patience and elbow grease someone can not have all the fun and not have to take a beating in the process.
Well said, nasdaqsam! And I'd like to add that the same approach, more than not taking a beating, should also bring luxury comforts along the way.

To answer someone else above on the question of new gasser vs older DP...
My suggestion is to decide on your budget and then go back in time on model year of coach and get the the top of the line for whatever year/brand that is. In my opinion, better build and more toys.
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasdaqsam View Post

It is called a "depreciating asset" IT GOES DOWN

We looked and looked, traveling in a tag along, asking lots of question's from those around us and found:
1. It's gonna cost, not as much as taking cruise's but it's gonna "cost"
2. Gas v/s Diesel---

DIESEL, takes all day and sometimes over night just to get oil changed (no repair, just oil & oil filter change$300.00 to $700.00...
Limited on service venues and they "see ya coming", it's like having a good dog, if you got to ask how much to clip a poodle, you don't need one...
Mileage depends on weight and horse power...
Prestige is much better in a PREVOST

GAS, get the oil changed at any Ford dealer in about 3 hours at a cost of $75.00 to $100...
Venues just depends on looks of the dealer-they are not working on the coach just changing the oil...
Mileage-because you don't have the weight or the horsepower, sometimes 7 sometimes 10 MPG
Prestige, not much but a good King Size bed and a fatter wallet makes up for the difference in the PREVOST

Whatever you buy, new or used, MAKE SURE YOU'RE GONNA ENJOY IT! Our only regret is, we didn't buy a TIFFIN...
GRUBBS is offline   Reply With Quote