Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2018, 06:52 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Descaling hot water tank on 2000 Bounder

I’m wanting to descale my Atwood hot water tank on my 2000 Bounder with vinegar. But I don’t have a winterization system that sucks the fluid in. From the attached pictures, can you tell me where to get the vinegar into the system? The big blue handle has a bypass marking on it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Tom.

tada is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2018, 08:35 PM   #2

Why do you think it needs descaling? Atwood has an aluminum tank, you should be sure whatever you put inside is compatible. When you pull the electric heater element you will see signs of calcium deposits if scaling is present.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:43 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Why do you think it needs descaling? Atwood has an aluminum tank, you should be sure whatever you put inside is compatible. When you pull the electric heater element you will see signs of calcium deposits if scaling is present.
Good point. I was just trying to do “new to me” maintenance. Maybe a good wash down with the Camco wand will suffice. Thank you.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:04 AM   #4

A Vinegar Soak would be a good idea on a 18 yr old Water Heater tank and Atwood has a Vinegar Soak Procedure in their manuals

Turn Off water supply
Relieve Hot Plumbing system pressure ---open a faucet hot side
Remove drain plug and drain WH Tank
Remove T&P Relief Valve
Install drain plug & close faucet

Pour 4 gallons Vinegar and 2 gallons water into WH Tank via T&P opening using a funnel (7 gal Vinegar/3 gal water for 10 gal tank)
Install T&P Relief Valve

Turn water heater ON...electric/propane or BOTH and let it go thru 4-5 heating/cooling cycles (Start it and let it heat/cool overnight)
DO NOT use hot water......let Vinegar Solution heat/Cool----SOAK

After heating/cooling cycles have been completed
Relieve pressure---open faucet hotside
Remove drain plug
Turn on water supply and BLAST water out thru drain hole ....can use a Wand thru drain hole but the wand blocks most of the drain hole and hinders fully flushing the crud out

Might want to replace that Old T&P after vinegar soak
And use a NEW Nylon Drain plug

Vinegar is a mild acid and does a better job of scale/calcium removal when heated and left to soak.
Will clean but not damage the aluminum tank
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:54 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
A Vinegar Soak would be a good idea on a 18 yr old Water Heater tank and Atwood has a Vinegar Soak Procedure in their manuals

Turn Off water supply
Relieve Hot Plumbing system pressure ---open a faucet hot side
Remove drain plug and drain WH Tank
Remove T&P Relief Valve
Install drain plug & close faucet

Pour 4 gallons Vinegar and 2 gallons water into WH Tank via T&P opening using a funnel (7 gal Vinegar/3 gal water for 10 gal tank)
Install T&P Relief Valve

Turn water heater ON...electric/propane or BOTH and let it go thru 4-5 heating/cooling cycles (Start it and let it heat/cool overnight)
DO NOT use hot water......let Vinegar Solution heat/Cool----SOAK

After heating/cooling cycles have been completed
Relieve pressure---open faucet hotside
Remove drain plug
Turn on water supply and BLAST water out thru drain hole ....can use a Wand thru drain hole but the wand blocks most of the drain hole and hinders fully flushing the crud out

Might want to replace that Old T&P after vinegar soak
And use a NEW Nylon Drain plug

Vinegar is a mild acid and does a better job of scale/calcium removal when heated and left to soak.
Will clean but not damage the aluminum tank
Thank you. Those are exactly the instructions I was looking for. This is an older motorhome that the previous owner neglected and took shortcuts on. I need to live in it for a while do to a new job and I just want to make sure it’s in the best shape it can be.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:28 PM   #6

FWIW, my MH water heater works great. I never found a reason to descale it, as I've never flushed anything out, and the 120VAC heating element is clean of deposits.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 05:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
FWIW, my MH water heater works great. I never found a reason to descale it, as I've never flushed anything out, and the 120VAC heating element is clean of deposits.
'

AZ water like much of the SW is HARD.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:42 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Waiting for the new plugs to show up from Amazon. The previous owner has installed a hose bib in place of the plug.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:11 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Got the hot water tank fully descaled today. A lot of white scale came out on the driveway. Soaked in it venegar and water with gas and electric cycles for two days just like Old Biscuit recommended. Installed a new Atwood plug where the previous owner had installed a hose bib (why?). Also installed a new temperature/pressure relief valve that was really scaly and a bear to remove. Now I have a nice clean hot water tank. I moved on to disinfecting the fresh water system today. It was a relief to see that the untested water pump worked very well. It was a little bit of a disappointment to find the ice maker supply tube from to valve to ice maker had dry rotted, but I’ll get over it for now. At least until I find another strong person to help me strong arm the fridge it out of the cabinet. There’s always ice trays.

Tags
bounder, tank, water