Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-10-2015, 10:15 AM   #1
Desperately need advice

We have looked at the Forest River Georgetown 339DS and the Vista 35F Both Dealers are fighting for our business with lower interest rates and lower price. We just want to make sure these are equal vehicles in quality. we are supposed to pick up the vista on Saturday, the Georgetown will be ordered from factory. Substantial amount of cash down
Any opinions to help with the decision? This is our 1st RV, and we will be Full-time.

blntln is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2015, 10:23 AM   #2
Suggest you buy good used first, much cheaper and you will see if fulltiming is what you really want to do.

Fred Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:21 AM   #3
Answer the question: Do you like the floor plan?
If the floor plan meets with your approval, then see if it will have enough storage space to full-time in and for all the stuff you need to bring along and if it has all the bells and whistles you need and want.
THEN start to negotiate with the dealer. Be sure to tell him that you are also looking at XYZ model at the competition - he might be able to give you a better deal.

We are full timers and hope to meet you down the road.

Travel safe.
Bob & Joan Alexander, 2010 Tiffin Phaeton 36 QSH, 2013 Jeep Wrangler (toad)
Lobo & Juniper (woof, woof)
FreedomDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:19 PM   #4
I don't know how Georgetowns are nowadays, but based on 4 years ownership of an '02 325S, from it's 8th birthday to its 12th, I wouldn't get another one. Workmanship was medium quality, particularly wiring and cabinet installation.

I had to rebuild the cabinets in the LR/DR slide-out after water damage (not Georgetown's fault) and I was not happy with the quality underneath the skin. I have no experience with Winnebago, so with luck, someone who does will chime in.
Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:29 PM   #5
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
This should not be a "Snap" decision, while this podcast is startling, it points out some of "Pit Falls" of RVing.

Don't Buy An RV! - The Podcast And Video

Fred and Bonnie
2005 Dolphin LX 6375
Abby, Ruffles & Scarlett, "The Cats"
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:39 PM   #6
We looked at a LOT of motorhomes before making our final decision and as my memory serves me we found the Forest River products to be inferior to the Winnebago products as a whole. When we decided to go full timing, we decided on going with a diesel pusher because of what we wanted to do as full timers so we narrowed our shopping to DP's and found the same to be pretty much true with DP's.

(Found Tiffin's to be even better).
Bob & Joan Alexander, 2010 Tiffin Phaeton 36 QSH, 2013 Jeep Wrangler (toad)
Lobo & Juniper (woof, woof)
FreedomDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:15 PM   #7
We purchased our Itasca 35F three years ago this past weekend (same as the Vista 35F).. We've been VERY happy.

We like the floor-plan as it gives us some separation from my kids when we travel. We like the "buffer" of the kitchen table between us (drivers) and the kids in the salon. Additionally, we like that the kitchen is near the entrance, as we like to eat at the picnic tables when camping with the kids..

We absolutely LOVE the bath & half layout. it really is nice.. again with the kids, as it provides them with their own toilet and sink.. especially nice during the night.. We like not having visitors in our bedroom during the night to use the bathroom..

When we don't have the kids, again we LOVE the bath & half.. it allows the GF to have her area and me to have mine.. We don't always "prime" the mid toilet, but it's nice to have the sink and mirror.. The "sectional like" sofa is a dream.. we really like to curl up together and watch movies on bad weather nights... on good weather nights, we like to sit out and have our "drive-in" movies at the outside entertainment center...

We feel its an all-around great coach for us.. It has provided plenty of space for all our needs.. and when we do our week-long vacations, it has plenty of room for a full load.. all-in-all, we think ours is a pretty solid coach.. not perfect by any stretch of the imagination.. but we are very happy customers of WBGO/Itasca..

You can get all the opinions and advice on this forum.. but you're the one who has to live with it.. the main point I'd emphasize is.. DO YOU LIKE THE FLOOR-PLAN ? cause if you don't.. walk away now..

As to which to buy.. I like the WBGO brand because of all the support you get from WBGO.. just go out to their website and search your year, make & model and see all the information available... this could be invaluable in the event something happens.. and I'll let you in on a secret.. THEY ALL HAVE THEIR ISSUES... doesn't matter if you're spending $50k or $650K... they're houses, put on wheels, subject to 4.0 earthquakes as they ride down the roads of America... something is bound to happen, someone is bound to have made a mistake..

Bottom line... enjoy the one you purchase and never look back... there is no "for sure" purchase when it comes to RV's... of course, the more you spend.. the greater detail has been spent on its construction.. as the saying goes, you get what you pay for..

Good Luck !!
Eric & Denise
2012 Itasca Sunstar 35F
2010 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:10 PM   #8
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have to agree with Eric. The Winnebago will be a far superior motorhome. Our first motorhome was an older Winnebago Journey DP. It had many features that our much newer Tiffin doesn't have. Considering its age it was still a very good coach when we sold it. Just another owner's experience.
Michael & Marsha Penner
2013 Tiffin Allegro RED 38QRA
MD_Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:04 AM   #9
We have the Vista 35f. Absolutely love the floor plan. When we have the grand daughters for the summer for two months the 1/2 bath works out perfect. We bought it new and have never had to take it back for warranty work. Couldn't justify the fuel cost for a minor repair. I've made some improvements to meet our needs. I can list the improvements if needed. Keep in mind the Vista is not a high end coach. For the price we feel it's a very good value. We get many complements on it.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1441990984.761700.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	106611Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1441991025.370045.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	106612

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
So Cal Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:41 AM   #10
Between the two, I'd go with the Winnebago. Personally however, I'd lean towards buying a used rig. Your money goes a lot further. Not only that, but if you decide that full timing (or rving in general) isn't for you, you can get rid of the rig without taking a huge loss. For less than a new Vista 33f, you can get a very nice, used diesel rig.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:46 AM   #11
With any manufacture you can have a lemon or a great coach. Find out about the dealers, how good are they on the service side. Look at everything inside and out, look at different units. Its just like buying a home, lots of different options out there. Make a bad choice can be an expensive mistake. Don’t rush into a purchase at all. Take your time if you can!!

2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
Trav'ler Direct TV dish, Progressive surge protected, Magna Shield covers, RV SnapPad, 5 starter, and Jeep Cherokee towed.
KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:50 AM   #12
Senior Rexhall Pilot

Rexhall Owners Group
Originally Posted by blntln View Post
Substantial amount of cash down
Does this mean you have already put a substantial amount down?

Or, you will be required to put a substantial amount down?

If you have not put any down, I would pull back.

I would recommend you rent a motorhome for a week, drive it, stay in it, evaluate it.

Do that with several models. First time buying, coinciding with full timing, is not the place to make a regrettable decision.
1996 Rexhall xl3400
Ford 460
Tag axle
John USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:03 PM   #13
Appreciate the advice. We have been looking for roughly 3 years. Just was wondering about the Georgetown. My wife wanted to sell all 3 years ago. I just came around. No we haven't put anything down closing tomorrow. It's a new adventure. We are planning on doing some Ministry along the journey. Realize all MH will have things go wrong. Praying we won't have to many along the way.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:04 PM   #14
Thanks for the input