Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2019, 08:15 PM   #29

I don't have a motor coach with a Series 60 Detroit but I did have a 2000 Kenworth I bought new and put a Million 500 thousand miles on it before I retired and only put one water pump and one turbo on it well after the million mile mark. It was the best engine ever put in a truck or bus IMHO
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2019, 09:35 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
I drove a lot of MCI tour buses in Alaska with Detroit engines. We usually got 6-7mpg, but if you have a ZF 12 speed tranny, you will get better mileage. It’s very different from the Allison and takes some getting used to with it’s free wheeling, seemingly random shifting and lurching at low speeds.
'04 Journey 36 with 330 Cat towing a '14 Sonic hatchback 1.4 liter turbo 6 spd. '16 Subaru Outback at home in Vancouver WA, plus a few other toys up at our remote cabin in Alaska's Talkeetna Mountains.
corprimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:08 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Detroit Diesel Series 60 MPG

Not to pull this thread off track but I do with the Allison had 2 more gears. It would help keep the engine in the sweet spot and provide more power. At times on long hills it feels like it needs a gear or two in between
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 01:45 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Actually, a part of the problem with lower mpg is the Allison 4000 takes a tremendous amount of power just to rotate.
The manual transmissions in class 8 trucks have a lot less drag.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 05:38 PM   #33

Nor'easters Club
Detroit Diesel Series 60 MPG

‘07 DDEC V 515 hp in 54k dry weight coach pulling 5K Ford Explorer; best 6.4. Worst 5.9 ave.
Used to own OTR fleet trucks. 12.7’s would get 7 mpg regularly at 80k. Our 14 liters could only muster 6 mpg. Mack engines almost broke us due to 250,000- 300,000 rebuild. Cycle. DDEC’s turned it around. Definitely a million mile engine.
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:45 PM   #34

I've appreciated the continued info sharing on this engine, and MPG by those who have one.

I was walking an RV Sales area in Arizona earlier this year, and a salesman was walking a gent thru one coach after another - always having some comment about the coach on the way out. I knew a tech at this facility, and he was walking thru, we stopped and talked awhile. The salesman was coming out of yet another coach nearby, and the gent he was showing around said 'Well, I'd like to keep it between $140-160K range.' The salesman adjusted his belt, and steered him off to another coach...

The tech said 'At that price point, the only coach he should be looking at in inventory now is the Holiday Rambler with the DD60 in it.' (Which, was in a different building, so doubt the gent ever saw it...).

I thought that unsolicited comment from a tech I respect, was worth sharing in this thread!

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:04 PM   #35

Back to the OP's question.

99 Newell with 12.7 DD S60. Subaru Outback toad. Avg mileage 8.3 for last 20000 miles. I drive 64 to 65 MPH. We weigh 52000 lbs fully wet.

The coach has 225,000 miles, and the VMSPc indicates that it's lifetime mileage is closer to 7.3 MPG.

The mileage improved significantly when I ran the overhead to set clearances on valves, injectors, and jakes.
RichardE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:34 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
The mileage improved significantly when I ran the overhead to set clearances on valves, injectors, and jakes.

Richard

Can you explain what you did here. I average only 6.3
Old 07-02-2019, 12:02 PM   #37

Yes, running the overhead involves pulling the valve cover, and adjusting the valve clearances, adjusting the clearances on the injectors, and setting the clearances on the jake brakes. Detroit calls for this maintenance around 100k miles. I did not have the service records to see that it had been done by a PO. Many motorhomes do not get this maintenance because it is a PITA to remove the flooring hatch over the engine. Getting access to remove the valve cover is way more work than actually adjusting the clearances. I set the clearances to specifications. I did not use any "special magic" settings. Other Newell owners that I am familiar with report similar 0.5 MPG increases after running the overhead.

I also have a low restriction exhaust on the coach. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 not too loud at full bore or on the jakes
RichardE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:35 PM   #38

Have an inlaw that is in the trucking business. He mostly does speciality loads like over sized loads.

His had bought a tractor unit brand new with a Detroit 60 series. The last time I visited with him he was telling me that it had just turned 1,000,000 miles. Still running well and in them miles has only required normal servicing and a starter.

He had nothing good to say about Cummins motors ( my preference) but did say the Cat engines were his favorite and the best for power/torque. The Detroit was better with regards to fuel economy.

Running similar loads he said when they came to a grade the cat would run away from the Detroit but the Detroit required less maintenance and less fuel.
grldst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 02:24 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Richard. I was aware of the valve adjustment but I didn’t know it also included injector and Jake brake adjustment.

Tags
diesel