Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-02-2015, 01:47 PM   #15
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
Check with a lawyer. A lot depends on the state you are in. Put a lien on the motor home for repairs. Send bill to address of last known owner. after 30 days or in some states 6 month you can get a title from the state as a abandoned vehicle and sell it to get your money. Storage charges for as long as you have it as well as the repairs. Check it out. you may have a out yet.
That's actually a really good idea. Too bad I am in Florida. The laws here state that I have to be a certified mechanic and I need to have a work order form signed by said "customer" for that to be a legal option for me. I looked into that before when someone wanted me to fix their motorcycle and they just split with the bike without paying me. I found the mechanics lean law a long while ago as a result of that happening to me. The best I can get at this point is my money back and move on with my life.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2015, 01:54 PM   #16
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Agree !!! Right now is the time to document and discuss with a GOOD attorney!

And I find it hard to believe that ANYONE in this chain of events didn't know the situation....
I can honestly say that I didn't know until I tried selling it and calling the guy I bought it from for the title. They were going to replace the title for me at their expense but was halted due to what the DMV told them over the phone. It came as a surprise to them as well. He told me it had a title when I first paid him my first payment. Then when I tries selling it I was told it didn't have one, that it needed to have a replacement title sent to me. Now after they got off the phone with the DMV, this is what they find out and relayed to me.

The full story they told me was that the guy they bought it from took it in as a trade and then lost the title and would need to get a replacement title. So they trusted him and bought the RV and came down here to Florida, where they sold it to me. As a previous person posted about before, the DMV has actual information about the RV that the people I bought it from didn't know about. The only person that I can honestly say knew about this whole thing, was the guy that originally sold this RV to the people I bought this from.

If they knew at all about this beforehand, I can honestly say that they would have walked away from the deal before they left Missouri.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:55 PM   #17
Fleetwood Owners Club
Just my 2 cents, but the folks that sold it to you said they didn't know, they could be telling you the truth, or they might be trying to cover their backsides. Take the emotion out of it, treat it for what it is, a business transaction. I would talk to an attorney, most will sit down with you for a consultation for free. Some states have a statue of limitations for filing claims, so waiting for the other party may put you in a position where you can't file if they refuse to pay later. Cover your backside first, and trust no one involved in the transaction except yourself.
2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40E
2007 Chev Classic CC LB D/A - Toad
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited - Backup Toad
Old 08-02-2015, 02:00 PM   #18
Originally Posted by cj23andout View Post
In my state, it is against the law to sell a vehicle that you don't have a clear or legal title to.

You defend the people who you were making payments to when they are in the wrong.

Presuming you have:

1. Sales contract in writing
2. Receipts for every payment you made to them
3. Receipts for all the parts and materials you put into it

4. Documentation of your time and energy you put into it.

You should be entitled to compensation for all the above from the people who defrauded you.

They should have done what they guy who was going to buy it from you did. They should have said, "Where's the title?" They didn't. Before they sold it to you, they should have secured a title for it. They didn't.

I can't believe this RV went through two sets of hands before someone asked to see a clear title?

They may be in violation of state law. The laws that you criticize may very save your backside and may well motivate them to pay you back. Check with local authorities. It might be time to get law enforcement involved. You are into this with unscrupulous people.
I asked to see the title when I first paid for it. Under the stack of 900 dollars was a vehicle title. I assumed it was for the RV, considering the fact that was what was being negotiated about at the time.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:17 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Assume nothing. Trust no one!

Like all the others said, consult an attorney! You should file suit against all of the parties up the chain first! Don't wait for someone to sue you (for your credit report reasons). The court will be the one to sort it all out. For all you know, everyone involved could be a part of a scam. "Oh, we didn't know!" could be all b.s. (playing innocent).
2015 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 22R

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
Old 08-02-2015, 03:51 PM   #20
[QUOTE=MarkusW;2677603]You can do a vin check all day long on any vehicle. If it's not reported stolen then it'll show up as a clean vin all day long.

I don't know about Florida but here in Oregon if you give them the vin and the persons name who is supposed to be the owner they will tell you if they are not the registered owner. It is illegal for them to tell you if they are the registered owner but it is totally legal for them to tell you if they are not. They will also tell you if the title has been branded ie totaled, stolen or flood damaged as well as tell you if there are any liens against it.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:13 PM   #21
Originally Posted by UsualSuspect View Post
Take the emotion out of it, treat it for what it is, a business transaction. I would talk to an attorney, most will sit down with you for a consultation for free. Cover your backside first, and trust no one involved in the transaction except yourself.
Agreed. At this point, you must take care of yourself.
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV
Old 08-02-2015, 04:38 PM   #22
It is what it is. I would have the vehicle declared salvage. If it hasn't been titled in several years and has been on blocks, inoperative, you can claim a salvage vehicle. I saw a guy buy a really old travel trailer and it didn't have any title so he declared it an abandoned vehicle and received a salvage title.

Have the people you got it from check with the DMV about an abandoned vehicle and now it is junk and has to be rebuilt. From what you are saying I assume you are rebuilding it anyway.
Retired Army, Disabled Veteran
Wife, me, and 2006 Coachman Cross Country 372DS makes three, Demco Kar Kaddy SS
Old 08-02-2015, 04:50 PM   #23
Probably easier to get a title for it than to sue and try to collect money. every state has a process to get replacement titles in cases where the title has been lost or vehicle has been abandoned
1998 Newmar Dutch Star, 3126B Cat/ Freightliner
2003 Honda Element
" Don't let the same dog bite you twice "
Old 08-02-2015, 05:03 PM   #24
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree with the person who said you need professional help. Two sources. One a Lawyer to assist in recovering your money and the Sheriff for the arrest and conviction.

HOWEVER as I read your story.. You bought from a reseller who bought form a thief, The person YOU purchased from may have been acting in good faith So be as kind as you can to him (mostly at the sheriff) but since he is who you paid, he is who you need to ask for a refund.

I do not know if you have any claim against the thief.. (Lawyer dept) but if you do .. Go after that jerk tooth and nail.
Home is where I park it!
Old 08-02-2015, 05:21 PM   #25
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How in the world did the previous owner or you ever get this thing licensed? I thought you had to have a title to buy tags. Anyway, as others have said - you really need to get a lawyer!
2005 Newmar Kountry Star Gas 3742
Workhorse W24, 8.1L/Allison 5-spd
JT, Em & the boys, Kong and George (rescued grey tabbies)
Old 08-02-2015, 07:37 PM   #26
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
How in the world did the previous owner or you ever get this thing licensed? I thought you had to have a title to buy tags. Anyway, as others have said - you really need to get a lawyer!
He got temporary tags for it through a bill of sale which was through the paperwork that he signed by the guy that sold it to him in Missouri.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:24 AM   #27
Almost sounds like an episode of "Judge Judy".
2003 Fleetwood Expedition 34W
2000 Thor Hurricane 29D Motor Home
2011 Lance 1050S Truck Camper
Old 08-03-2015, 08:33 AM   #28
Yeah, get a Lawyer involved, spend more money and still not have your Motor
home, you made a mistake, move on.

2005 Newmar DS 4023, Spartan Chassis, ISL 370 Cumapart, 2008 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, 2015 Kia Soul, 1969 Italian & 2004 Akita
Closed Thread