Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2015, 06:36 PM   #43

Very sorry that you have been swindled. At this time you should consult with an attorney to see what recourse you may have, if any, to recover your money.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2015, 06:44 PM   #44

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The seller doesn't owe you a thing for the money/work you put into it since you never really owned it and neither did he. You might be able to get your $900 back, but only after a legal battle that might cost more than you recoup.
If it turns out to be stolen the legal owner will get it back and owe nothing to anybody.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:44 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusW View Post
Yeah I think that's going to be the way to go. The guy I bought it from was asking 1,700 for it and I've put in a ton of work. The 900 was just the initial payment.

I was talking to his wife and she seems to want to be reasonable about the situation. But I just got done talking to him and he doesn't want to pay me at all it seems. So I told him I'll just gut it out then and sell the parts or if you're not going to pay me I'll get my own lawyer. Those are my 2 options. Hopefully he will come up with the money without me having to sue or gut this out. I can sell the 454 engine with 31,000 miles in it for double what I paid for this whole thing. So if I have to go that route that's what I'll do and then use that money to move like originally planned.
How are you going to sell parts from a motor home you don't own ?
Old 08-03-2015, 07:50 PM   #46

Ford Super Duty Owner
Is anyone claiming that it is "theirs"? If not, another option (in my state) is a bonded title.

It sounds like someone sold it that didn't actually own it.. IF that's the case, asked the documented owner what it would take to get the title? Assuming it's not reported stolen, lots of RVs "rot" and become liabilities.

The third option, over an RV worth less than $10k doesn't involve a lawyer - it's small claims court. Hiring an attorney over $<2k is going to cost you more if legal fees that you recover. Small claims is for EXACTLY this kind of stuff.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:04 PM   #47

I paid him more than 900 for it. I've been making payments on it. I've clearly stated that on my original post. Why do people assume I only paid 900 for a 32 foot class a RV that runs and drives and everything in it is operational. That is absurd.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:12 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
How are you going to sell parts from a motor home you don't own ?
Easy. Sell the whole thing as a parts vehicle with no title to the first person that brings me 2k cash. My mom sold my car from under my nose without a title and then "borrowed" 400$ from me when I was 18 and then used all that money to move out on me while I was at work. It's not hard to part out a vehicle or even sell one without a title.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:19 PM   #49

Ford Super Duty Owner
Markus,
There are probably better alternatives than to pass the problem on to someone else. Selling it, even without a title, can land you in the same sort of trouble that the guy you bought it from is facing. The people that sold it to you have liability.. Selling it as "parts" - like someone could flip it to another person, just like you...

Here are your "don't screw your neighbor" options:
1) Pursue a bonded title if there is no legit claim on the RV. Please at least consider this option - especially if you don't know what it is, it's probably appropriate if the "business" has no interest in the RV or doesn't exist anymore.
2) Pursue a deal with the documented owner/business, at least *ask* what it'd take to have them turn over the title.
3) And instead of hiring an attorney, consider a small claims case.. Note, you'll probably have to prove that you've made payments.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:21 PM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I paid him more than 900 for it. I've been making payments on it. I've clearly stated that on my original post. Why do people assume I only paid 900 for a 32 foot class a RV that runs and drives and everything in it is operational. That is absurd.

Perhaps because you also posted THIS: ?

"...asked to see the title when I first paid for it. Under the stack of 900 dollars was a vehicle title. I assumed it was for the RV, considering the fact that was what was being negotiated about at the time..."
Old 08-03-2015, 09:13 PM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
You might be able to get your $900 back, but only after a legal battle that might cost more than you recoup.
People are forgetting that plaintiffs can also claim legal costs in court besides the RV purchase and repair money. The court will grant the plaintiff's legal costs if the judgement is in his favor.

In California, claims of around $7,000 (I forget the exact amount) can be litigated in Small Claims Court. Check to see what is the top amount in your state.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:24 PM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Dan Wong Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Wong
Quote:
Easy. Sell the whole thing as a parts vehicle with no title to the first person that brings me 2k cash. ..... It's not hard to part out a vehicle or even sell one without a title.
I am under the impression you know exactly what to do and how to do it ... am I correct?
Old 08-03-2015, 11:30 PM   #53

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post
People are forgetting that plaintiffs can also claim legal costs in court besides the RV purchase and repair money. The court will grant the plaintiff's legal costs if the judgement is in his favor.

In California, claims of around $7,000 (I forget the exact amount) can be litigated in Small Claims Court. Check to see what is the top amount in your state.
You can claim it but the court has to rule on it. I'm in WA and will gladly stay away from CA!
Old 08-03-2015, 11:42 PM   #54

Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Dan Wong Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Wong
Quote:
.... Why do people assume I only paid 900 for a 32 foot class a RV that runs and drives and everything in it is operational. That is absurd.
Let me understand this. you have a 32 foot Class A, run and drive great and everything is operational ... plus its now all fixed up - ready to hit the road ... The only thing missing is a valid title ... Is this correct? and the first guy to bring $2K cash gets the vehicle ... Is this correct?

Let me check with Arizona DMV on how to get abandon / salvage / bonded title. I have a friend in mind I think he be interested, very interested.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:55 PM   #55

Entegra Owners Club
The folks saying sell it for parts, etc etc etc...what are you thinking?

For the OP, you may be in possession of stolen property (receiving stolen property is against the law). Selling it???? If it is stolen property, selling stolen property is against the law.

Yes, the person you bought from is also guilty of both if it is stolen.

Once you identify that it might be stolen (as you have), you better notify law enforcement and proceed as they direct, based upon your (and it sounds like an honest seller's) story.

The lawyer you obtain may be protecting you as opposed to going after the seller for $s. If it is not stolen, then what have you lost versus protecting yourself.

JMHO
Old 08-04-2015, 12:49 AM   #56

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Prior to laying the $ down to buy any vehicle for part simply get the VIN in advance and ask DMV or Police to check to see if it was reported stolen.
Closed Thread