Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2015, 07:37 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
My current view on this is that for $900 you purchased an older motor home. If you have $2000 into it in repairs/upgrades, it needed work. Since, by most standards, you don't have a large amount of $$$ into it (yes the $3K would be a lot for me also, but it would be minimal in a court battle) I think I would at least contact the Missouri DMV or State Police and explain the title story and see where that takes you. Pretty sure they would not be interested in the dollars you have spent so save your breath unless they ask. Have the needed info such as chassis VIN and motor home VIN. This MIGHT at least tell you who the owner is. If the titled owner can be found you might be able to resolve it. If the vehicle has not been reported as stolen then you might be able to claim it as an abandoned vehicle and start the title process from there.

Unless you can access a lawyer for next to nothing then my guess is you'll spend more on a lawyer than the $900 you are trying to recover. A few phone calls might save you a lot of frustration.

In reading some of the previous posts you are saying that this is not a $900 RV. It might be helpful if we knew if this was a $2000 vehicle or a $50000 vehicle. I am curious how you transported the vehicle with no title ? Did you put plates on it ? Were they registered to this vehicle ? Honestly, the more of this I read the less I understand how you got into this mess. From the info you have given I am under the impression that you did a lot of this with blinders on. Sorry if I sound harsh but the simple act of putting money on the table and not checking the title seems wrong to me. Good luck in your journey with this nightmare.
I'm rounding up here but it was sold to us for 1700. I've since then stopped making my last payment on it because of this situation.

As far as the plates go, they got temporary tags on it and they were still current when I bought it. He said that all I need for a temporary tag was a bill of sale.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2015, 07:41 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
Perhaps because you also posted THIS: ?

"...asked to see the title when I first paid for it. Under the stack of 900 dollars was a vehicle title. I assumed it was for the RV, considering the fact that was what was being negotiated about at the time..."
Sorry if I sound rude about my reply to this but I didn't think I needed to explain in full depth the words payments and initial payment needed to drive it away.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:43 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Wong View Post
I am under the impression you know exactly what to do and how to do it ... am I correct?
There are people in my state that buy cars with no title all the time. How do you think my own mother basically stole my car and sold it with no legal bearing on the title that was in my name?
Old 08-05-2015, 07:46 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Wong View Post
Let me understand this. you have a 32 foot Class A, run and drive great and everything is operational ... plus its now all fixed up - ready to hit the road ... The only thing missing is a valid title ... Is this correct? and the first guy to bring $2K cash gets the vehicle ... Is this correct?

Let me check with Arizona DMV on how to get abandon / salvage / bonded title. I have a friend in mind I think he be interested, very interested.
I shorted out the water pump and the transmission needs minor work. And by minor I mean that it only goes into reverse when it wants to. It'll catch every gear forward all day long with no problems.

It's by no means in perfect condition either. The interior still needs work and the outside fiberglass could use a new paint job that's for sure.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:49 AM   #75

Someone here asked about if I had a contract with the couple I bought it from but I can't find it. Yes, I had one but since finding this out, they're in breech of it so that contract is about as good as a fire starter or toilet paper on a bad day.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:54 AM   #76

Did you ever figure out the battery cables, so it would start on 12 volts? I remember you cooked some items by wiring it to 24 volts.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:55 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman-az View Post
BTW, you publicly stated you may part it out on this forum. If you do that and this post is found your going to be out even more money.

Do as others suggested and try to get it in your name. For the time being I would just keep it, not make payments and use it as long as you can until someone repo's it or you get matters resolved.
Well, since I'm living in it and have no where to go if the cops decide to seize it or someone repos it, that's what I intend to do. But if the only way of getting my money back is selling the engine, transmission, ac units, stove, microwave, converter, and anything else of value then that's what I'm going to do. They can then come pick up the RV and I'll have then moved on with my life by then hopefully.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:00 AM   #78

A little off the subject but a friend of mine bought a RV, title in hand. Went to DMV to transfer to find out it had a huge title loan on it. Here in AZ title loaners do not hold title nor is it listed on the title. DMV does offer a lien check on line for $1. My friend ended up parting it out as well which in AZ is not legal without a title.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:19 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Did you ever figure out the battery cables, so it would start on 12 volts? I remember you cooked some items by wiring it to 24 volts.
Need to replace the 2 batteries that are 12v with 2 6v that's all
Old 08-05-2015, 08:26 AM   #80

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusW View Post
I'm rounding up here but it was sold to us for 1700. I've since then stopped making my last payment on it because of this situation.

As far as the plates go, they got temporary tags on it and they were still current when I bought it. He said that all I need for a temporary tag was a bill of sale.
I have no idea how the registration process works in Missouri/Florida so I can only comment concerning VT. Tags, whether temporary or permanent belong to the owner versus the vehicle. If in MO they belong to the vehicle then I can understand how you didn't need new tags. If they belong to the owner/registree then once again an error was made. In most places you won't get the title until the loan is paid for. In that case I can understand your lack of a title but since the vehicle only had temp tags on it I believe I would have wanted to see the title to insure I wasn't purchasing an RV with a lien on it.

Once again assuming that this vehicle was truly valued at $1700 you are gonna spend more in lawyer/court fees than you'll ever get back from anyone. I'd be very cautious about parting it out. If this is some sort of multi person scam, whoever has the title could come after you. It could come down to the courts saying that you were knowingly in possession of stolen property and sold it. That could turn into jail time or the owner getting a piece of your income until the settlement is satisfied. Very possible all of our negative thoughts are a complete waste of time but do you want to take that chance ?

I'd still be contacting the police and DMV in both states. Everyone here has a point of view, but none of us, including yourself, seem to know the actual facts.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:44 AM   #81
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
MarkusW,

Doing something out of spite or desperation will only get you in more trouble unless you know exactly where you stand.

Some simple investigation will save you from a life of regret. I really don't think you need that kind of Karma.

Doing something untoward only places you in the same group as the ones that put you in this position.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:44 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
Prior to laying the $ down to buy any vehicle for part simply get the VIN in advance and ask DMV or Police to check to see if it was reported stolen.
Can your local DMV check out-of-state VINs? Do liens show up?
Old 08-05-2015, 09:01 AM   #83

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Can your local DMV check out-of-state VINs? Do liens show up?
His bank can make that check. Any lien from a financial institution will show up on a UCC check.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:11 AM   #84

Pardon me if I speak my mind. First of all it doesn't seem that the OP is going to take anyone's advice. There has been a number of good suggestions but no evidence of following through on them by the OP.

Given the small amount of money involved (by motor home standards) it is an exercise in futility. Given the costs of owning and running a motorhome the OP would be better off dropping the vehicle off back where he bought it, make a police report and press charges, then run away from it and treat it as a hard lesson learned.

Closed Thread