Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2015, 10:33 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by daydream37 View Post
Pardon me if I speak my mind. First of all it doesn't seem that the OP is going to take anyone's advice. There has been a number of good suggestions but no evidence of following through on them by the OP.

Given the small amount of money involved (by motor home standards) it is an exercise in futility. Given the costs of owning and running a motorhome the OP would be better off dropping the vehicle off back where he bought it, make a police report and press charges, then run away from it and treat it as a hard lesson learned.
Most of the advice given seems to lead me into a worse position than I'm in now. I have no money left and I'm completely broke. Otherwise, what seems to be simple or easier solutions isn't really an option for me. I did a free vin check on the ncib website I think it was? Anyways it comes up as clean, not stolen and not a total loss.

I can only tell anyone here as much as I know. Which isn't much. Only what the previous owners are telling me. They said the last time it was registered with a title was in 1999. If it hasn't been reported stolen in 16 years it's not going to be now. The original seller of the RV had no legal claim to the RV. That's all I know and all I've been told recently this past week.

I will be meeting up with them in person later this week to find out more.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2015, 10:40 AM   #86

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusW View Post
Most of the advice given seems to lead me into a worse position than I'm in now. I have no money left and I'm completely broke. Otherwise, what seems to be simple or easier solutions isn't really an option for me. I did a free vin check on the ncib website I think it was? Anyways it comes up as clean, not stolen and not a total loss.

I can only tell anyone here as much as I know. Which isn't much. Only what the previous owners are telling me. They said the last time it was registered with a title was in 1999. If it hasn't been reported stolen in 16 years it's not going to be now. The original seller of the RV had no legal claim to the RV. That's all I know and all I've been told recently this past week.

I will be meeting up with them in person later this week to find out more.
Not worth them chasing down title. If they can't prove ownership then I would no longer make payments on it. Let them take you to court and prove they owned it.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:40 AM   #87

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Once again ..... not all states require for vehicles over a certain age. In VT after 15 years no title is required. Your RV appears to be at least that old. Is a title required in MO or where ever it was last titled?

Since you don't want to do anything legally your true recourse is minimal. A hope and a prayer is about all you have as far as I can see.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:52 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post

Since you don't want to do anything legally your true recourse is minimal. A hope and a prayer is about all you have as far as I can see.
This is my thinking also on this. Why the OP won't get the law involved is beyond me. Is this really all happening or just someone telling a story? All the advice in the world won't help anyone if they aren't willing to take it and act.
I'm anxious to see how this all turns out. Somehow I don't think we will ever know.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:55 AM   #89

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Missouri Car Registration Guide - Renewals, Online & Mail Options, Forms, & Fees | DMV.org

You stated that there are/were tags on the vehicle. Looking at the above link it seems to state that registration and titling occur at the same time. If this RV has legal tags on it then it seems that it has a title. You have not yet responded with how and where it was registered. If you believe that after 16 years that no one has laid claim on it then I don't understand your hesitancy in making it yours legally. Get the bill of sale ..... again and register it and request a replacement title. You'll be into a lot less if you move through this legally versus trying to go about it in some haphazard fashion.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:03 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
This is my thinking also on this. Why the OP won't get the law involved is beyond me. Is this really all happening or just someone telling a story? All the advice in the world won't help anyone if they aren't willing to take it and act.
I'm anxious to see how this all turns out. Somehow I don't think we will ever know.
I'm broke, I have no more money to my name. I've been living in my RV and fixing it up with what I had left hoping to turn a small profit. Which is what led me to this crap. I tried selling it and asked the guy I bought this from for the title.

If I get the cops involved and they find it necessary to impound it until everything is sorted out where does that leave me in my life? Sleeping on the sidewalk or under a tree. I'm sorry that you refuse to acknowledge other people's realities and that other people are in much far worse circumstances than you care to imagine or realize. Not everyone gets a free paycheck every month for doing nothing. We can't all live in fantasy land.

All I want is my money back and to be done with this BS.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:22 AM   #91

Quote:
Missouri Car Registration Guide - Renewals, Online & Mail Options, Forms, & Fees | DMV.org

You stated that there are/were tags on the vehicle. Looking at the above link it seems to state that registration and titling occur at the same time. If this RV has legal tags on it then it seems that it has a title. You have not yet responded with how and where it was registered. If you believe that after 16 years that no one has laid claim on it then I don't understand your hesitancy in making it yours legally. Get the bill of sale ..... again and register it and request a replacement title. You'll be into a lot less if you move through this legally versus trying to go about it in some haphazard fashion.
I have the physical hard plates from Missouri in the folder that came from the manufacturer/dealership and the temporary tags came out of Florida. Where I think all you need is a bill of sale for temporary tags and a title for the plate. From what I seen with the temp tags, both are from Florida.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:25 AM   #92

Quote:

Sorry to have to quote you twice. The people I bought this from was going to do exactly that for me at their expense and have it mailed to them and delivered to me. When they called the DMV up in Missouri this is what they told them and then told me. And now I am here venting this whole situation.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:17 PM   #93

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Markus,

I'm sorry you are having such a bad time of it and that this has happened. Most people who get a monthly check (SS and I am not there yet, I still work) have earned their monthly check by working for 35 to 45 years, that check is not free.

Reading through this it is hard to completely understand exactly what happened. I think this is why people are confused and responding the way they are.

Chopping out the RV leaves you with no place to live, calling the Sheriff may leave you with the same circumstance, but chopping it out may also leave you with a room in the County jail.

I'm glad you have quit making payments. The people may come pick up the rig though when you are not there if they can find it. Might want to make it not startable just in case. Not permanently, just so it won't start unless you want to move it.

Until you get legal answers, you will not have a legal answer where you stand. I agree that the people who sold it to you are not giving you the whole story. How long did they have it, a year, a month? If they had it only long enough to find another buyer (you), they are part of the scam. If they had it a long time and could not get a clear title to it, then they knew when they sold it to you that there was a problem. Either way, something is not right with their story.

Call the Sheriff. They will give you a good idea of where you stand without charge. They will also do a search of the legal owner and you will at least have that answer to that question. Doing nothing leaves you legally responsible and as one person stated, if they find this thread they have all the poof to prosecute you.

I feel for what you are going through. Unfortunately you cannot trust people anymore. You have to have all legal documentation in front of you and copies of each document.

As you stated, we cannot all live in a fantasy land but maybe that is what you are doing thinking you are going to get your money back. Those people are not going to pay you. They are not going to help you. Only a legal recourse is going to get you an answer. Be prepared, it may not be the answer you want.

I wish you luck is getting a resolution. You have been dealt an unfair hand. Good luck.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:58 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
Right, but awarding legal costs is not guaranteed. And beyond that, someone that can't afford to return $900 probably isn't in the best financial situation. The plaintiff would owe his attorney either way, even if the defendant can't pay.... (assuming it's not a contingency agreement)
That's exactly another reason that it won't benefit me to sue someone. I learned that a long time ago from my previous employer. You can sue whoever you want to and for any reason. But if the court favors your case and you win, the person you sue doesn't have to pay you back if they can't afford to. The only thing he can do now is hope they buy a new something, whether it's a car or a house and then put a lien against it and take possession of it. I don't own my own business, yet, one day I will but that day isn't today so I don't have time like that to wait.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:58 PM   #95

If the folks you bought the MH from applied for a title they should have a receipt from DMV where they paid for the title. I would at least ask to see the receipt.
In my state it takes 3-4 weeks at the least to get a title back. That is if you register the vehicle and it is from my state. To get just a title back for a vehicle which had been titled in another state it can take 3 or more months. The last one I dealt with had a fee of $50 and I waited 3 1/2 months before the title came to me.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:21 PM   #96

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusW View Post
You can do a vin check all day long on any vehicle. If it's not reported stolen then it'll show up as a clean vin all day long.

I'm leaving the legal issues to the couple we bought it from. I know I'll get my money back plus the money that went into repairs so I'm not going to take legal action against them since they just found out and didn't know before hand. If they knew then it would be a different thing. I'm sure if they knew I never would have came across the for sale ad on this and they would have taken legal action long before knowing of our existence.

I thought about that as well... The whole pawning it off to someone else and letting it be their problem but then I would end up being just as guilty as the [moderator edit] that started this whole thing in Missouri.

I was more or less just venting about this. I am so infuriated that I just needed to get it out somewhere before I ended up taking this for a long drive into the middle of no where and into an empty field and burn it to the ground.
I hope you make out ok with this. As you can see a lot people apparently have excellent hindsight.Im sure you weren't looking for advise for what you shoulda coulda yadayada------- Anyway good luck.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:23 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
If the folks you bought the MH from applied for a title they should have a receipt from DMV where they paid for the title. I would at least ask to see the receipt.
In my state it takes 3-4 weeks at the least to get a title back. That is if you register the vehicle and it is from my state. To get just a title back for a vehicle which had been titled in another state it can take 3 or more months. The last one I dealt with had a fee of $50 and I waited 3 1/2 months before the title came to me.
I was told to call the guy back and tell him it needed a replacement title. Then the previous owner, before me, said they would do it for me at their expense since they should have done it to begin with and that I should have the title by the end of the week.

The end of the week came so I asked them if they had any good news for me.

This is the bomb they dropped on me. That is why I have so little information about this whole situation. They basically told me that they couldn't get a lost/replacement title because the person that sold it to them had no legal ownership to begin with.

I don't want to lay blame everywhere or start pointing fingers all over the place until I have a full understanding of what happened. But at the same time, if they knew they needed a replacement title and didn't file for one when they knew that and not before I had it and tried selling it, it would have saved me time and money.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:17 PM   #98

Markus,

Lots of good suggestions here. I have been reading this forum for a few months and haven't felt the urge to respond up to now !! It seems that you are living in this RV with your girlfriend and baby. I don't know if you have a job or not. From what I have read you have had this RV for 3-4 months. I'm twice your age and have spent thousands of dollars on lawyer's over the years to be screwed when we got in front of a judge.

If the person you bought the RV from was able to get you a temp tag here in Florida he must be a licensed auto dealer in Florida. Not sure what recourse you have with that. Plenty of crooked dealers here !!

If I was you I would find a place to park the Rv and stay in it until someone shows up with a tow truck to take it from you. Save all the money you can so you can find place to rent. Nobody gets though life without having a place to live, unless you want to live on the street and be homeless !! If you 3-4months in it the money you have spent on the Rv it will would be less than rent. Living in a old Rv with a leaky roof is not a place to raise children !!! You never know what mold is behind the walls of that place.

Not easy thing to do but spending hours stressing over this is not the answer............... life sucks and most life lessons are learned the hard way !!! The ones that hurt you in the wallet you will remember the rest of your life !!!

Good Luck, Bill