Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-02-2015, 10:06 AM   #1

So I just found out that the person I was making payments to doesn't even have the title for my RV! I was told that it just needed a replacement title because of the owner before the people I bought it from lost it. They were going to go ahead and do that for me but then THEY found out the guy that they bought it from sold from under someone's nose and had no legal claim to the RV.

I found this out because I was trying to sell it so i can move up north with my family and the guy that was interested in buying it from me had a cash offer with him in his hands.

I've put my heart sweat and blood into getting this fixed up and getting everything running again. If you remember my earlier posts from the past month or 2, the most difficulty I had was getting the wiring fixed and working. Now, I have a new roof, both of the original roof top a/c units work AND blow ice cold air, the generator runs, all of the AC outlets work. It's as if it was brand new all over again for the first time. I mean the interior and exterior needs some work. It's not pretty to look at on either side of that spectrum but everything that came with the RV originally is functional again! I was sooooo happy that all my hard work paid off.

But now this, a single person in the state of Missouri managed to not only screw me and my family over, he screwed over the people we bought it from. We're going to be getting our money back plus the expenses that I put into getting it fixed.... EVENTUALLY..... But when? I don't know. They sold it because they needed the money and now don't have it to pay us back with. The guy that sold it to the couple we bought it from, apparently sold it from under a business that's no longer in that state and has moved to a different state and had no legal ownership of the RV.

The couple we bought it from wants us to wait for their lawsuit. But the thing about that is, they'll recover their money after the lawsuit. So I asked to just drop it off and give us our money back and let them deal with it because I have no legal standing with the guy they bought it from. It isn't my problem and I don't want it to be my problem any longer. I just want to get our money back and move up north because I can't deal with the state of Florida any longer. It's awful down here. It's nice to visit and vacation but not to live here. This states economic system is designed to bleed everyone dry, long before they kick the bucket. And the laws down here are just as bad. I don't do anything wrong or illegal, to my knowledge, but I feel like I'm walking on egg shells here. There is a law for everything and a law made to, ("prevent, for your safety") breaking the law prior to the one that succeeds it. I'm just tired of it. I live in America, damnit and I am a natural born American I would like to live like one, in the "land of the free" (what a joke that's become!) I'm free to breath, eat and talk and that's probably about it, now these days.

I'm taking this whole issue to a personal level because I love my RV and working on it. It gives me something to do in my free time, and I have a lot of it lol. It's not just the financial expenses either.

I usually don't buy any vehicles without a title anyways but I figured what do I need it for RIGHT NOW if it's parked and I'm still working on it and since I was making payments on it on top of that.

Lesson learned from this burn that's for sure. Next time I'll demand a title up front like I normally do.

I'm going to miss this RV. :(

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2015, 10:18 AM   #2
Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
That was a hard lesson learned. Hope you consulted a lawyer, I think you can sue the one who sold it too you.

1996 Damon DayBreak 2500 454 P37 Chassis
NRA Benefactor, NRA & OSBI Certified firearms instructor, Retired Electrical Engineering Tech
Old 08-02-2015, 10:38 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What to say? You never should have given them a dime without proof of ownership. For all you know the RV was stolen (and legally, that's probably what the situation is, since the neither of the previous two owners has a valid title). You don't "own" it either, though you do have "possession". But it's possession of stolen merchandise and whoever actually has the title can just drive it away without even telling you. Maybe you can find another easily gullible buyer and try the same 'lost title' fairy tale on him?

Meanwhile, all you can do is sue the seller for false representation and ? Contact the state DMV and your state Attorney Gneral to see if some specific state laws on vehicle transfers may have been broken as well. Many states have them, though they may not apply to a private sale like this.

An expensive lesson, I'm afraid.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Old 08-02-2015, 11:23 AM   #4
A simple check of the vin number through your local DMV at the time of purchase would have prevented all this from happening. When doing business trust no one and make sure to always protect yourself.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:30 AM   #5
Unbelievable how horrible people can be and equally unbelievable how gullible they can be.
2012 Tiffin Allegro RED 34QFA
Old 08-02-2015, 11:30 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Oh Markus, I am so sorry that you are seeing the bad side of humanity, sadly the days of people being honorable are in the past.
Lynn & Andy Dudish
2005 Winnebago Adventurer
Kar Kaddy with MINI Cooper
On the Road with 7 cats and a lovebird!
Old 08-02-2015, 11:35 AM   #7
You can do a vin check all day long on any vehicle. If it's not reported stolen then it'll show up as a clean vin all day long.

I'm leaving the legal issues to the couple we bought it from. I know I'll get my money back plus the money that went into repairs so I'm not going to take legal action against them since they just found out and didn't know before hand. If they knew then it would be a different thing. I'm sure if they knew I never would have came across the for sale ad on this and they would have taken legal action long before knowing of our existence.

I thought about that as well... The whole pawning it off to someone else and letting it be their problem but then I would end up being just as guilty as the [moderator edit] that started this whole thing in Missouri.

I was more or less just venting about this. I am so infuriated that I just needed to get it out somewhere before I ended up taking this for a long drive into the middle of no where and into an empty field and burn it to the ground.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:47 AM   #8
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Possible lien

Check with a lawyer. A lot depends on the state you are in. Put a lien on the motor home for repairs. Send bill to address of last known owner. after 30 days or in some states 6 month you can get a title from the state as a abandoned vehicle and sell it to get your money. Storage charges for as long as you have it as well as the repairs. Check it out. you may have a out yet.
2006 Four Winds Hurricane 31D, Steer Safe, CHF, 50 Amp Conversion, 3000 Watt Inverter, Toad is a 2007 Jeep Liberty Sport. Blue Ox Aladdin Tow Bar, Apollo Braking System
Old 08-02-2015, 01:09 PM   #9
We never bought any vehicle unless the seller had the Title in their hands. A little paranoid of us maybe but we were never stuck.....
Retired. RVing with one husband and five cats.
1999 32' Fleetwood Southwind Class-A. Ford V10.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:26 PM   #10
You did what you did and hopefully did it with the right intentions. You learned a lot and gained valuable experience. Hopefully you get all your money back.

And you are correct. A clear title doesn't mean anything these days. There are people selling cars 30 minutes after taking money on a title loan, it doesn't show on the paper title and can only be checked electronically by MVD or authorized agents. When you try and title the car you can't until the title loan is paid.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:28 PM   #11
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
We never bought any vehicle unless the seller had the Title in their hands. A little paranoid of us maybe but we were never stuck.....
I saw the title but I didn't look at it very long or in depth. Apparently that title was for a different vehicle. I was just trying to trust someone for once again since the 80's. Never again will I trust someone again as a result of this.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:29 PM   #12
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
Check with a lawyer. A lot depends on the state you are in. Put a lien on the motor home for repairs. Send bill to address of last known owner. after 30 days or in some states 6 month you can get a title from the state as a abandoned vehicle and sell it to get your money. Storage charges for as long as you have it as well as the repairs. Check it out. you may have a out yet.
When I owned a body shop, I had to take this route pretty regularly. It's not that hard to do, and can be financially rewarding.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:45 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Agree !!! Right now is the time to document and discuss with a GOOD attorney!

And I find it hard to believe that ANYONE in this chain of events didn't know the situation....
If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:45 PM   #14
In my state, it is against the law to sell a vehicle that you don't have a clear or legal title to.

You defend the people who you were making payments to when they are in the wrong.

Presuming you have:

1. Sales contract in writing
2. Receipts for every payment you made to them
3. Receipts for all the parts and materials you put into it

4. Documentation of your time and energy you put into it.

You should be entitled to compensation for all the above from the people who defrauded you.

They should have done what they guy who was going to buy it from you did. They should have said, "Where's the title?" They didn't. Before they sold it to you, they should have secured a title for it. They didn't.

I can't believe this RV went through two sets of hands before someone asked to see a clear title?

They may be in violation of state law. The laws that you criticize may very save your backside and may well motivate them to pay you back. Check with local authorities. It might be time to get law enforcement involved. You are into this with unscrupulous people.

2013 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA
2013 Jeep JKU Toad
Closed Thread