Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2014, 12:22 PM   #1

Dewinterising the rv

As many of us start to think about our first trip of the spring and some are still dealing with the affects of winter a thought occurred to me. Being new to the lifestyle at what temp does everyone start to put water back in the coach. The wife and I are thinking of taking a weekend and hitting a local campground ( bar harbor in Abingdon md ) to see if anything was broken over the winter before we head out of town. We were going to try this weekend march 20 to the 22. Looks like day time temps this week will be in the upper 40s to low 50s during the day and 32-36 at night through out the up coming week. Should I be ok with flushing the water lined and keeping them filled or should I flush and blow them out.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2014, 07:50 PM   #2

I would wait unless you are prepared to re winterize in a hurry. This is no year to get in a hurry.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:54 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You could always bring jugs of water to use instead of dewinterizing completely. With this crazy winter I would blow out the lines when you were done with your weekend trip if you do decide to dewinterize.

HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrydubois View Post
I would wait unless you are prepared to re winterize in a hurry. This is no year to get in a hurry.
X 2!
Old 03-16-2014, 10:15 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Extended season use is a nice thing. There are some options out there (heated, insulated holding tanks, etc. And lots of good examples on this site of folks who deal with very cold weather conditions in an RV as well as challenges. ). My rig has insulated lines, inside fresh water tanks and heated, insulated holding tanks. Yet being parked in he storage yard not being used with water in lines is the more spooky proposition for me after a day trip or overnight in the Cascade mountains. I'm intrigued by a new product from Swann Industries (been around RV industry for years - my '91 Winnebago warrior had their water heater bypass valve and built in reservoir for pumping RV safe antifreeze into the system and back out again. Fast forward to today - a bit expensive, but the flip of a switch and the rig is winterized or un-winterized. Seems like a boon for the thousands of RVs that travel through my state each November and early spring from Canada to Arizona and back. http://www.centormall.com/Swan_ind/ There is many a weekend in the winter hat the weather can turn awesome - sun, surprisingly warm. Then bang! Another freeze commences. I'd love to take advantage of those spontaneous trips and be fully self contained rather than year-around RV parks and a cold trip across the parking lot at 3 AM to use the restroom. For us, we always camp the last week of March for our first trip. Twice there was snow a few days earlier but glorious sunshine and 60 degree days when we camped. Well worth the risk of needing to winterize after.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:34 AM   #6

Thanks to all but as I sit year at 5:30 am on st pattys day looking at the 6 inches of new snow ( will winter in Maryland ever stop) I've decided to put everything on hold for one more week. Even if I could get ten rv home there will be no place to put it to work on it until at least the weekend. Man I need spring.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:47 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I keep an eye on the 10 day forecast of overnight lows. Once I can no longer see below freezing temps I'm good to go. It needs to get below freezing for a few hours to offset the warmth accumulated throughout the day in order to freeze the water in my pipes. I was planning on doing it this weekend but put it off until next weekend because of this morning predicted lows.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:30 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We're sitting here near Nashville, TN and wondering the same things as you all are. I was tempted to flush everything today, but they're forecasting temps below freezing within the next 10 days, so I guess we'll wait awhile longer! I also have the built-in heat tape, tanks, etc but I just don't want to chance it!
Old 03-17-2014, 05:59 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have my first weekend planned for April 5th so my plan is to de-winterize and sanitize the system this weekend then blow the lines out until the temps show signs of staying above freezing.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:23 PM   #10

Ok going to take the plunge this weekend and at least flush and sanitize the lines then blow them out. Putting off first outing till first weekend in April. Then like April 25 heading to oc( md ) for the isle to isle half marathon and five k. We use the rv for gettin clean after the races and to hang out at while everyone finishes