Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2015, 04:31 PM   #1

Dewinterize

Hi all, i am planning to dewinterize our Itasca 36M MH soon. My first time. Please help me with dos and donts. I have read the manual and will follow.
More concern about ensuring all the pipes are free of bacteria for drinking.
We do have three filters which I am changing all to new ones (outside, fridge, and drinking faucet.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2015, 05:10 PM   #2

How did you winterize the coach? Was the "pink stuff" used or compressed air used to blow out the lines? Overall it is not a difficult task. Hook up to water and flush out the system. If the "pink stuff" was used you will need to flush until the taste goes away. The disinfectant in city water will do the rest. Now if you really want to be sanitized, a small amount of additional NEW bleach in the water will kill anything that concerns you. Just pour the bleach into the fresh water fill or gravity fill so it will go into the water tank.

Big question is was any of the "pink stuff" put into the freshwater tank? If so you may need to flush and flush and flush to get it out. Then put bleach in the tank. When we first bought our coach, we found out the previous owner poured several gallons into the tank and I swear it took a half dozen trips before we got rid of the taste.

Let us know ow it goes, OK?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:21 PM   #3

Thanks. Yes I did use the pink stuff, and no didn't put t in the FW tank.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:31 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
After flushing all of the antifreeze from the lines, then, and only then, is it OK to reset the water heater bypass valves. Replace the drain plug in the water heater. Then open the pressure relief valve and let the water fill the water heater until the water sprays out of the valve.

If you use the outside shower for pets or yourselves, do not forget to flush the antifreeze from that, too.

Enjoy your next adventure!

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:50 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My owner's manual specifies using one gallon of "solution" per 15 gallons of tank capacity (your fresh water tank). You make the solution by adding 1/4 cup of household chlorine bleach to a gallon of water. Eg....2 2/3rds gallons of solution will treat a 40 gallon tank. This mixture puts in a 50 ppm residual in the water and acts as a quick-kill dosage for harmful bacteria, viruses and slime forming organisms. Concentrations higher than 50 ppm may damage water lines and tanks. First drain the tank completely. Close the drain and start adding water. Before tank in full, add the correct amount of solution. Fill up the fresh water tank to the top. Turn on the pump and run water to and through all the taps (don't forget the hot water tank and the shower) until you smell the bleach. Then allow the system to stand for four hours. Then drain and flush the system until no smell of chlorine. Several flushes may be required. (I've only had to flush once). After all done, and you have clean (no heavy chlorine smell) water at all taps install your water filter(s). (this is all per Holiday Rambler). It assumes you use 5.25% Sodium Hypochlorite.)

I've noticed that some of the bottles of bleach are only 3% (the cheap stuff) and others (the more expensive bleach) have almost 8% concentrate for the concentrated brands...so it worth the time to check the label and find the one at 5.25%. The closest I could find was 6%. I'm not a chemist so I don't stand behind these numbers provided by Holiday Rambler, but I've done this every year and never gotten sick. It's important to not just dump in the Chlorine straight.....it is way to concentrated and will damage stuff. As long as you get the total about of necessary bleach into the full tank, you will be good....in my case I have a 100 gallon tank, so I need to inject 6 2/3 cups of of 5.25% household bleach in my tank. Good luck.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:27 PM   #6

How to properly sanitize your fresh water system
Important! Do not install new charcoal filters until after sanitizing.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post

Big question is was any of the "pink stuff" put into the freshwater tank? If so you may need to flush and flush and flush to get it out. Then put bleach in the tank. When we first bought our coach, we found out the previous owner poured several gallons into the tank and I swear it took a half dozen trips before we got rid of the taste.

Let us know ow it goes, OK?

Yep, that's where I goofed when I did mine last fall for the first time. I didn't realize the tank fill valve was open and pumped three gallons of anti-freeze into my water tank. I know I need to flush that out good this spring when the time comes and the snow stops.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:08 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by B52Guy View Post
My owner's manual specifies using one gallon of "solution" per 15 gallons of tank capacity (your fresh water tank). You make the solution by adding 1/4 cup of household chlorine bleach to a gallon of water. Eg....2 2/3rds gallons of solution will treat a 40 gallon tank. This mixture puts in a 50 ppm residual in the water and acts as a quick-kill dosage for harmful bacteria, viruses and slime forming organisms. Concentrations higher than 50 ppm may damage water lines and tanks. First drain the tank completely. Close the drain and start adding water. Before tank in full, add the correct amount of solution. Fill up the fresh water tank to the top. Turn on the pump and run water to and through all the taps (don't forget the hot water tank and the shower) until you smell the bleach. Then allow the system to stand for four hours. Then drain and flush the system until no smell of chlorine. Several flushes may be required. (I've only had to flush once). After all done, and you have clean (no heavy chlorine smell) water at all taps install your water filter(s). (this is all per Holiday Rambler). It assumes you use 5.25% Sodium Hypochlorite.)

I've noticed that some of the bottles of bleach are only 3% (the cheap stuff) and others (the more expensive bleach) have almost 8% concentrate for the concentrated brands...so it worth the time to check the label and find the one at 5.25%. The closest I could find was 6%. I'm not a chemist so I don't stand behind these numbers provided by Holiday Rambler, but I've done this every year and never gotten sick. It's important to not just dump in the Chlorine straight.....it is way to concentrated and will damage stuff. As long as you get the total about of necessary bleach into the full tank, you will be good....in my case I have a 100 gallon tank, so I need to inject 6 2/3 cups of of 5.25% household bleach in my tank. Good luck.
Must be an industry standard. My Newmar has almost identical instructions.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:16 PM   #9

Thanks to all i did complete the process today. It wasnt difficult as some of you mentioned. Since this is a fairly new coach and we have been the only owner I decided not to use too much bleach as some recommended. I tried to pour some bleach through the city water hose but dont think much went in. I am using spiral hose. We are allergic to bleach anyway. I filled the water tank half way once and emptied it after an hour or so. I then filled it again and am planning to empty it in couple of days when we get on the road.
I will change all the filters after i empty the tank.
The batteries were low after 6 month of storage so i have connected the electricity hoping that it will recharge them in few days.
I could not start the generator. Low batteries may be? I have been starting in few times this winter with no issues. Any ideas?
Thanks again to all who participated.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:41 AM   #10

Very well could be low batteries. Did you check the voltage on both battery banks? Plugging it in should charge them back to normal and hopefully all will be good. Make sure you check the water level in each battery and only add distilled water if need be.
Keep us posted....
Old 03-25-2015, 02:09 PM   #11

Thanks bigd9 for good comments
Old 03-25-2015, 02:18 PM   #12

If you are allergic to bleach, use hydrogen peroxide instead. It will break down into just plain H2O after awhile and no taste leftover.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:07 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I like that idea. Hydrogen peroxide is not as harmful.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:10 AM   #14

Here is an interesting discussion on using Hydrogen peroxide to disinfect a water system. Also check out the amount of hydrogen peroxide needed to do the job, and the harmful effects on plastic plumbing in high dosages.

Using Peroxide in Water Tanks - Water and holding tanks - FMCA Motorhome Forums

Tags
winter