Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2015, 10:53 PM   #15

I have camped with first wife as in tents, TT and popups. Second wife never camped but I was looking into having a place to stay while she would be recovering from liver transplant. I ran across a 2002 Fleetwood Revolution 40c with 37000 miles. The first owner took care of everything but the second owner (only 1 year) did not. A great coach with lots of life left and a breeze to drive. Plenty of power to tow Equinox with tow dolly up and down hills all day long. Generator has pretty high hours but works great! Very comfortable to camp or drive.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2015, 06:32 AM   #16

Jake brake Pac brake Exhaust brake they all are better than any gas coaches brakes

Old 02-18-2015, 10:10 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Buy your last coach first. If you do not have to trade up continually to get to what you will retire in you will be farther ahead and you will be living in your dream RV.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingcrazyShirley View Post
I'm not sold on the idea of buying someone elses headaches, as I know everything that we have done to ours as we purchased new. We have purchased used 5th wheels and trailers over the years, so it's not that I'm opposed to purchasing used. He loves the Fleetwood Discovery 38' model. I'm fine with this unit, just can anyone give me pros and cons of this unit OR does anyone else have suggestions? I would assume this would be our second to last MH, as more than likely we would buy new or close to it at retirement. His biggest complaint on the Damon is the ride and the drivers seat is so uncomfortable on longer trips. I get it, but I want to be prudent before I go off and sell ours. Any information you may have on this produce good and bad is apprecaited, and anything we must be on the lookout for. Thanks for all the help.
Don't sell yourself short, given your history with RV ownership, you have the knowledge to make the right choice.

You know what to look for, in terms of problem areas. For example: A bulge in the roof of a DP is caused by the same thing as a bulge in the roof of a 5er/gas coach.

You won't buy somebody elses problem, when you do your homework on each coach you look at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
Only real men have DP!

And the hornets nest has been kicked!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:16 PM   #19

Sold the 5er and I bought a used higher end 40 DP for the ride, comfort, air suspension, engine brake and the bath and a half. It was a consignment so it had the entire maintenance record included. Bought a warranty to ease the DW concerns and I have used it once and "saved" 2k. I had a list of must haves like engine size, air brakes, etc and the DW had her list. We were lucky and check all of them off when we bought the Revolution.
We just returned from a 2500 mile excursion up over the Sierras and Tehachapi mountains and we're ecstatic with the ride safety, handling, comfort (the seats are awesome) so I suggest you drive the DP and compare them. We will never full time but will spend about 25 percent of our time meandering and we wanted to make our life easier. This was a home run for us. Good luck and safe travels!

Bill & Christine
40 ft Revolution LE Diesel Pusher & Honda Fit Sport
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 02-18-2015, 10:00 PM   #20

I can think of all sorts of reasons to argue against the DP from logical standpoint. Someone mentioned the "Gone with the Wynns" videos. Basically, when they considered two similar coaches, the only difference being one was gas, the other Diesel, they came to the conclusion the gas made the most sense (but they liked the diesel). Having said that, we went through the same decision process recently and went diesel. You'll find many here that would say they are perfectly happy they went gas and pocketed the difference in cash.

If you are trading because of the floor plan, that makes perfect sense. We still have a small kid and were looking BH again, but our new coach has the loft bed that lowers over the driver/passenger seat. She loves it up there and when we go to sell it it won't be limited to a kids only audience.

What does concern me though is the fact you say you will be trading an 07 that you've just spend a bunch of $ fixing up to get a similar vintage DP. You may get lucky and find that magical MH with ultra low miles, garage kept, meticulously maintained etc. But I think we all know better. at 7 to 8 years old there are a bunch of things that are going to need work, and if they are power train related they will probably be more expensive to fix than a gas unit.

Good luck
Old 02-18-2015, 10:38 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
Welcome,,let him buy the DP, enjoy , life is way too short!

+1

Life is short, be comfortable living it!

Cheers A!
Old 02-18-2015, 11:38 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
>>>You may get lucky and find that magical MH with ultra low miles, garage kept, meticulously maintained etc. But I think we all know better. at 7 to 8 years old there are a bunch of things that are going to need work, and if they are power train related they will probably be more expensive to fix than a gas unit. <<<<

They are hard to find but they are out there. Mine is 14 yrs old and looks like new. See my sig photo. Took me two years to find it. But worth the hunt. Five months fulltime and only problems have been one loose wire on the bedroom slide relay and a kitchen slide roller out of adjustment, which this forum helped me fix. We started out fulltime 2012 in a 30 ft gas no slide, Thor Hurricane 8.1 Workhorse. It was and still is a good rig ( gave it to my son ). We decided that we needed more room and driving comfort for me. We made 10 bids of $70,000 to ten different dealers on 10 different Monaco Dynasty. The Monaco Dynasty had all the bells and whistles and cherry cabinets the wife wanted and the Allison, Cummins 370 that I wanted. $70,000 was all I could afford and told the dealers up front. The various dealers were asking between 89,000 and 125,000. Two dealers responded. I drove twelve hrs to look at them and chose the one at Holland RV, San Marcos Ca. (near San Diego ) I deposited $5,000 and at my insistence the dealer put on new tires and a new refrigerator and all systems were working at delivery. If this sounds like a brag cession...it is not. I'm just saying that if you search high and low for the right rig, you will find it. Broaden your search to nation wide or at least regionally and you will find what you want. Some will tell you that you have to compromise but I say you don't. Go for it and don't look back. Diesel that is
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:12 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfolger View Post
>>>You may get lucky and find that magical MH with ultra low miles, garage kept, meticulously maintained etc. But I think we all know better. at 7 to 8 years old there are a bunch of things that are going to need work, and if they are power train related they will probably be more expensive to fix than a gas unit. <<<<

They are hard to find but they are out there. Mine is 14 yrs old and looks like new. See my sig photo. Took me two years to find it. But worth the hunt. Five months fulltime and only problems have been one loose wire on the bedroom slide relay and a kitchen slide roller out of adjustment, which this forum helped me fix. We started out fulltime 2012 in a 30 ft gas no slide, Thor Hurricane 8.1 Workhorse. It was and still is a good rig ( gave it to my son ). We decided that we needed more room and driving comfort for me. We made 10 bids of $70,000 to ten different dealers on 10 different Monaco Dynasty. The Monaco Dynasty had all the bells and whistles and cherry cabinets the wife wanted and the Allison, Cummins 370 that I wanted. $70,000 was all I could afford and told the dealers up front. The various dealers were asking between 89,000 and 125,000. Two dealers responded. I drove twelve hrs to look at them and chose the one at Holland RV, San Marcos Ca. (near San Diego ) I deposited $5,000 and at my insistence the dealer put on new tires and a new refrigerator and all systems were working at delivery. If this sounds like a brag cession...it is not. I'm just saying that if you search high and low for the right rig, you will find it. Broaden your search to nation wide or at least regionally and you will find what you want. Some will tell you that you have to compromise but I say you don't. Go for it and don't look back. Diesel that is
I did what you did... not quit as old... bought a used 05 350 /850 torque

the inside was nice but well dated , lots of polished brass... and lots and lots of furry fabric every where..i though well , I saved 100k ... coach had new carpet....the out side full body paint was shiny//// but up close the clear was all checked..but it had new tires... again... I was saving 100k...
then in the middle of the night .. woke up from a dead sleep .... wth did I do???

what happens if the fuel system goes bad and fries a piston... what if the turbo goes...what if the generator spikes and fries the wiring

so I said without a warranty....I'd rather have a new modern gas coach
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2005 journey 020.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	86441  
Old 02-19-2015, 02:20 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
I did what you did... not quit as old... bought a used 05 350 /850 torque

the inside was nice but well dated , lots of polished brass... and lots and lots of furry fabric every where..i though well , I saved 100k ... coach had new carpet....the out side full body paint was shiny//// but up close the clear was all checked..but it had new tires... again... I was saving 100k...
then in the middle of the night .. woke up from a dead sleep .... wth did I do???

what happens if the fuel system goes bad and fries a piston... what if the turbo goes...what if the generator spikes and fries the wiring

so I said without a warranty....I'd rather have a new modern gas coach
you bought an 05' diesel, but wished you bought a new gas, or did you buy a warranty for the diesel? The picture is the 05' - what?
Old 02-19-2015, 06:57 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Mike View Post
you bought an 05' diesel, but wished you bought a new gas, or did you buy a warranty for the diesel? The picture is the 05' - what?
I bought a new gas,keep it a couple yrs, then we sold our vacation home and wife wanted a new bigger coach,.that one (new) broke and we bought another gas, (smaller) wife unhappy, said I promised a bigger coach, then bought a used 05 journey,..wife happy ... it was 34'11'' wouldn't fit in our yard..it had the little low power c7 cat with only 350hp-850 torque...I hated it looked like grandmas house inside , more gold than mr " T" the hole inside was dated..looked old...but in pretty nice shape. out side looked good 10'r clear was checked....the thing road horrible , cal roads it rattled like crazy...pulled my trailer 12 mph slower up the hills,... so I traded it back in for the gas one in traded in..

wife not happy,..

so I bought a new , underpowered diesel... this one with a cummins 300hp...but... it was only 135k... save'd 100k right...wife happy... she put the coach in her name so I can't sell while she is at work

I can't have bigger than 34' and no .. 34'1" won't work... I looked at everything out there.. found more bigger power.(gas coach) or bigger diesel all over 34' ... so to get more power than what I got I had to have it built...300k

so here I am...getting 10mpg pull'n 8500 lb trailer, but going up the hill 12 mph slower..
we went on a 500 mile trip... stayed ay 62mph , till the steep hills...slowed down to under 55mph..... but did it wisper quiet,we figured that of the whole 500 mile trip,.. only about 5 minutes was under powered...
Old 02-19-2015, 07:09 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Mike View Post
yeah, after I traded it back in I found out that I could have gotton a warranty for it... that's the only way I would get one again..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2005 journey wtrailer 002.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	86448   Click image for larger version

Name:	2005 journey wtrailer 003.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	86449  

Name:	2005 journey wtrailer 012.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	86450   Click image for larger version

Name:	2005 journey wtrailer 010.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	86451  

Old 02-19-2015, 07:33 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Diesel fuel does not make a MH better. Better makes it better. Go test drive them. You might find you want one, too.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:34 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Buy your last coach first. If you do not have to trade up continually to get to what you will retire in you will be farther ahead and you will be living in your dream RV.
Excellent advice here.

We traded from a Gas Class A, purchased brand new, 6 months later to a DP. We took a hit on the trade, but for us it was worth it. As you hear from others, the DP is much more comfortable on the road, and because those diesel engines and chassis can handle so much more weight, you'll get better appointments inside. Of course you pay for that. And it's also worth noting that simple maintenance is also more expensive in a DP. This can be minimized somewhat if your husband is handy with tools, but it is a consideration.

We currently have a bunkhouse DP, and I envision replacing it one more time when the kids are all grown up and on their own. Hopefully the DW will agree with me on that one! If so, our next will be our last.